August 2, 2017, 11:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
There are other options for people:

You could go support Man City?
Perhaps you'd like to win the lottery and put your money into Town?
Maybe stay at home and play Football Manager, whilst patting yourself on the back as you lead Town to successive promotions?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
Cloudy
August 3, 2017, 6:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

what I was greeting at is we now pay players for 52 weeks not 40 so the wage bill must be 200k more.
I would think the players are on £750 a week or possibly more, not a clue what league 2 wages are but  multiply that by a squad of 20 odd must be 200k more needed for the budget than we was in the conference.

We were comparing last season to this and we were definetly in League 2 last season with just a couple ( possibly) of players still on conference contracts I.e. 2 year deals from summer 2015.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
Cloudy
August 3, 2017, 6:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from sam gy
There are other options for people:

You could go support Man City?
Perhaps you'd like to win the lottery and put your money into Town?
Maybe stay at home and play Football Manager, whilst patting yourself on the back as you lead Town to successive promotions?

It's a message board designed for people to exchange views and opinions isn't it?

Personally I aren't happy that the club I have supported for 50 years through thick and thin, season tickets for my family for virtually all of those years, and I don't agree that  fans of 50 years or 50 weeks should sit still, say nothing and not make any comment when the club, IMO, takes us for granted, lacks professional PR in an ever changing market, and could be so much better by engageing with more people, businesses etc rather than antagonising many.

To be told to go to support Man City is a cheap shot and does you little credit IMO
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
jonnyboy82
August 3, 2017, 7:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I love it how someone brings up a Grimsby town football related matter on a Grimsby town football related board about the current budget , Some valid points and not slagging anyone off in the slightest.

Then come the fishy police who say we can't be having any of these valid points on ere which might be looked at as being negative as we can only ever talk about ex players who were gods and bitter football managers from other clubs..

What is the point of even anyone putting owt on here anymore if them "certain" posters don't like the other side of a point of view or an opinion , God this place would be so boring if all we did was clap each other to death.

Sometimes someone won't agree and vice versa that's fine but come on just because someone posts something different to you on a matter they aren't necessarily a doom merchant maybe just concerned we are going into the league opener with Scott Vernon looking being our main man and whoever says they are happy with that well err ok that's your opinion .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
ginnywings
August 3, 2017, 8:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
So what you are saying is that if someone else on a GTFC message board disagrees with you about GTFC matters, then they are the fishy police?

You then go on to say that disagreements are fine.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
sam gy
August 3, 2017, 9:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

It's a message board designed for people to exchange views and opinions isn't it?

Personally I aren't happy that the club I have supported for 50 years through thick and thin, season tickets for my family for virtually all of those years, and I don't agree that  fans of 50 years or 50 weeks should sit still, say nothing and not make any comment when the club, IMO, takes us for granted, lacks professional PR in an ever changing market, and could be so much better by engageing with more people, businesses etc rather than antagonising many.

To be told to go to support Man City is a cheap shot and does you little credit IMO

Ok, my post was tongue in cheek and not really helping the debate, fair enough. But going back to the original post (which is what I was basing my post on-apologies if we've moved on from there) it seems your issue is that we're apparently not spending enough cash.

And my point is that we're probably spending as much cash as we can afford to. I don't know what else the club can do? You've supported the club long enough to know that we've never been a club to splash the cash, because we've never been able to. The only time we did this, was the ITV Digital era, and we know what happened there.

Your basis of the argument is that we're apparently not using the wages freed up by the players we released, but how do you know? Disley, Pearson, Gowling et al are heroes to us, but have all been playing in the conference for 6 odd years. Disley in particular was getting on when given his last contract last season. How do we know these players were earning more than Osbourne (played most of his football at higher level), Kelly (played all his football at higher level), Rose (played all his career Lg 2 or higher). And we know we've still got budget left to bring the right players in. As people have rightly said, Clarke, Collins and Dixon will be on a fair bit, I imagine.

Yes, Dembele and Cardwell might not be high earners, but so what? If they come good, then we're on to an absolute winner.

There's more to a successful football team than spunking a load of cash. Forest Green have showed us that. Alternatively Accy Stanley got into the playoffs on a shoestring the season before last, and I dare say our budget is a lot healthier than theirs!

And let's not forget that Bignot spent a load of cash in Jan, so you'd have to factor them players into our budget. One of the players he bought, Sam Jones, will be one of our main goal threats, like he successfully was last season. Our own fans seem to be writing us off already before we've kicked a ball, on the basis that we haven't brought in another striker yet. But we've got goals in the team, and we WILL bring in another striker.

People can call me a happy clapper all they want, but I'm not against criticising the club at all. One things for sure though, I'll not criticise the club for spending money it hasn't got. And I'm not really into writing our team off before we've kicked a ball either.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
TownSNAFU5
August 3, 2017, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
We are still in transition from our NL squad. We need to offload players that will not take us forward.  We are then in a better place to have fewer players of higher quality.  Hopefully, with the same manager to provide stability.  

All this takes time unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
friskneymariner
August 3, 2017, 11:09am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Jonny and cloudy are quiet right there is an element on here who feel they are holier than thou and have become  self appointed guardians as to what it is appropriate to discuss on here.
They are so thin skinned they cannot tolerate any valid criticism of the club and in my view have significantly devalued this board as a discussion forum.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
sam gy
August 3, 2017, 11:22am
Cocktail Drinker
But how is criticising the club for spending within it's means a valid criticism? Do we think John Fenty is sat on piles of cash which he has earned through the profit making machine that is Grimsby Town Football Club? Did he go and buy another mansion with the Bogle money instead of putting it back into the running of the club?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
friskneymariner
August 3, 2017, 11:37am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
How is criticising not having brought in a decent striker saying we should splash out money the club has not got.
Slade himself says he is looking for a striker, and we are starting the season without a full squad,you tell me what about that is exorcising you so much, it is fact.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Budget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.