8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
August 2, 2017, 10:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I haven't got a clue what the budget is, how a football club's budget works or what players take home every month (do footballers actually get paid weekly?). But I'm going to guess that the whole thing smacks of typical Fentys cheap option.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
Hertsmariner
August 2, 2017, 10:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
I share ginnywings' realism. I try to enjoy the 'spectacle' of watching Town for what it is and have no illusions about what we might or might not achieve. All supporters, I imagine, travel hopefully-happy when our team wins, 'devastated' what we lose-but hope always returns for the next game or the next season. I buy my season ticket to support the club (without revenues they'll achieve nothing) and hope to survive long enough to see at least some of the home games. And yes, I'll be at Chesterfield on Saturday, up for the Coventry game on the 12th and at Stevenage (close to home) the following week. I hope we win them all, but probably we won't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
Balthazar Bullitt
August 2, 2017, 10:27pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
The closed season. RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
Tommy
August 2, 2017, 10:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
At the end of last season our squad was too big and thus probably with a big wage bill.

It was always going to be a case of us letting more out than we brought in this summer.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
MuddyWaters
August 2, 2017, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
Does it really matter, or are some just finding reasons to beat the club with? Most league 2 signings are not very exciting, it's the nature of the beast. I don't know how people can come to the conclusion that the squad we have is mid table at best as we have no idea how they will perform over the season and no idea if and when we will add to the squad.

There was a time the season would end, we would forget about football for a couple of months, then see 2 or 3 signings announced in the Telegraph. Now it seems people want constant turnover of players and to be informed in all aspects of the running of the club. Just go down to BP and get behind the team. Most seasons are much of a muchness, with a good season every now and again, possibly a promotion. That's the reality of supporting a smallish league club, albeit one with a proud history of punching above it's weight.

All good sense and reality Ginny but is it so wrong to dream of a situation where the club's finances allow us to attract better players in spite of our location rather than the current situation where players turn us down because of it.

Yes, we'll all get behind the team, moan when Berrett or Summerfield don't score four apiece and diss the referee but the unpalpable truth is that GTFC is a stagnant entity with a shitload of debt in an old stadium in a rundown area. That's why we go - it's in our DNA.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
MuddyWaters
August 2, 2017, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
Does it really matter, or are some just finding reasons to beat the club with? Most league 2 signings are not very exciting, it's the nature of the beast. I don't know how people can come to the conclusion that the squad we have is mid table at best as we have no idea how they will perform over the season and no idea if and when we will add to the squad.

There was a time the season would end, we would forget about football for a couple of months, then see 2 or 3 signings announced in the Telegraph. Now it seems people want constant turnover of players and to be informed in all aspects of the running of the club. Just go down to BP and get behind the team. Most seasons are much of a muchness, with a good season every now and again, possibly a promotion. That's the reality of supporting a smallish league club, albeit one with a proud history of punching above it's weight.

All good sense and reality Ginny but is it so wrong to dream of a situation where the club's finances allow us to attract better players in spite of our location rather than the current situation where players turn us down because of it.

Yes, we'll all get behind the team, moan when Berrett or Summerfield don't score four apiece and diss the referee but the unpalpable truth is that GTFC is a stagnant entity with a shitload of debt in an old stadium in a rundown area. That's why we go - it's in our DNA.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 2, 2017, 10:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Cloudy

Don't think the handful of players who possibly were on conference contracts ( Pearson Gowling) would have cost us  an extra circa £200 k in additional payments tbh.

We don't know budgets but I would suggest it doesn't take a genius to believe that Cardwell, Dembele, Rose are not on top dollar for league two!

Off topic but more positive vibe and better marketing could bring in more cash which in turn could give better budget which possibly produces better results which usually brings higher gates. See where a positive outlook could potentially take us with little risk? Got to be better than cost cutting so staff sit in the cold and are demotivated

Instead we are doing well with season tickets despite PR gaffs and negativity, I just wonder what we could do with focussed positivity, imagination and drive.

what I was greeting at is we now pay players for 52 weeks not 40 so the wage bill must be 200k more.
I would think the players are on £750 a week or possibly more, not a clue what league 2 wages are but  multiply that by a squad of 20 odd must be 200k more needed for the budget than we was in the conference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
Mariner93er
August 2, 2017, 10:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from friskneymariner

If you had taken the effort to read Cloudy's comments you would understand the context of my comment.

Yes, he mentioned a lack of ambition compared to fans loyalty. And my point still remains, what link do they have. It's not a lack of ambition if we're operating within our capabilities. Just because we're not making big money signings, doesn't mean we can't still aim for promotion.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
friskneymariner
August 2, 2017, 10:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
It is not about making big money signings, but some of the decisions made during the close season seem quite perverse,i.e. Letting Yussuf go without having a replacement in first.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
newarkmariner
August 2, 2017, 10:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Jesus Christ on a bike, anyone would think we ve lost our first 10 games going by some of the idiots commenting on here ,I'm just pleased I don't drink with some of you(and you know who you are)because damn you're boring and depressing, I ask this question why support town if your going to drag the team down before a ball has been kicked, sick and tired of hearing the words, scrapping the barrel, cheap option, bargain basement, GGRRRR
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Budget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.