mariner91
August 2, 2017, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from friskneymariner
We have been one striker away from an excellent season for several years.

Like two years ago when we signed that useless git who scored 37 goals. Or last year when we had a player up front so bad we sold him for nearly a million quid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
mariner91
August 2, 2017, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Why do people keep forgetting Asante? We could potentially have the striker we need already. He looked promising when half fit and a lot of the Solihull fans rated him higher than Bogle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 2, 2017, 7:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Im not sure what town fans think our level should realistically be,

4 teams that came down will have parachute payments so will have larger budgets than ours,
Lincoln had a good FA cup run and 3k more season tickets than us so i expect them to have more money than us.
Village Green throw money at it every season so I expect their budget will be larger than ours.
Mansfield seem to have found cash down the back of the sofa and again will be larger than ours
Luton has nearly double the Gates we do so again a better Budget,

Most of the players we let go will have been on conference wages and all the ones we brought in will be on league 2 wages,
At least 2 extra back room staff in a sports scientist and a health and nutrition chap.

Some of Bogles money went on the Jan transfer window and all the midfielders we got plus I would suspect a cut went to the agent and Solihull so I cant see there being that much left.

I would have thought we will have a top 10 budget maybe but that's about all

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
MuddyWaters
August 2, 2017, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mariner91
Why do people keep forgetting Asante? We could potentially have the striker we need already. He looked promising when half fit and a lot of the Solihull fans rated him higher than Bogle.

I don't think anyone's forgetting Asante. By the same token, I'm not pinning my hopes on a player with such an appalling injury record who's scored 3 goals in 21 league appearances.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
HertsGTFC
August 2, 2017, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

4 teams that came down will have parachute payments so will have larger budgets than ours,
Lincoln had a good FA cup run and 3k more season tickets than us so i expect them to have more money than us.
Village Green throw money at it every season so I expect their budget will be larger than ours.
Mansfield seem to have found cash down the back of the sofa and again will be larger than ours

Most of the players we let go will have been on conference wages and all the ones we brought in will be on league 2 wages,
At least 2 extra back room staff in a sports scientist and a health and nutrition chap.

Some of Bogles money went on the Jan transfer window and all the midfielders we got plus I would suspect a cut went to the agent and Solihull so I cant see there being that much left.

Exactly!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
chaos33
August 2, 2017, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
Lots of speculation, supposition and a bit too much pessimism in this thread I'd say.

My semi educated guess is that our budget is pretty 'middling' for this division. Maybe about average or just below. If DHM
's theory is right, we can expect to finish 14th or thereabouts on that basis.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
Cloudy
August 2, 2017, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

I largely agree but didn't your pal say there was little difference between conference wages and Lge 2 other than 52 weeks against 40 ish?

I just feel the claims made by the club of 'competitive' and aiming for playoffs are misleading despite the fans getting behind the club with excellent season tkt sales

Current squad has mid table at best written all over it IMO. I appreciate the club talk about stabilising after 6 years outside the FL but I can't help thinking our perceived lack of ambition could come back to bite us on the bottom
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 70
HertsGTFC
August 2, 2017, 8:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
How can the club say the budget is competitive unless they know everyone elses?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 70
MuddyWaters
August 2, 2017, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33
Lots of speculation, supposition and a bit too much pessimism in this thread I'd say.

My semi educated guess is that our budget is pretty 'middling' for this division. Maybe about average or just below. If DHM
's theory is right, we can expect to finish 14th or thereabouts on that basis.

Agree - there's some ambitious clubs in our league and the two that have come up will have good funding (for different reasons). I don't see enough quality in our squad or enough ambition in our boardroom and I fear we'll struggle.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
friskneymariner
August 2, 2017, 8:45pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,158
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Cloudy

I largely agree but didn't your pal say there was little difference between conference wages and Lge 2 other than 52 weeks against 40 ish?

I just feel the claims made by the club of 'competitive' and aiming for playoffs are misleading despite the fans getting behind the club with excellent season tkt sales

Current squad has mid table at best written all over it IMO. I appreciate the club talk about stabilising after 6 years outside the FL but I can't help thinking our perceived lack of ambition could come back to bite us on the bottom

My thoughts exactly sometimes I don't think this club deserves the loyalty of the fans it gets and certainly take us for granted.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Budget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.