This thread currently has 9,629 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
August 2, 2017, 6:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I wonder how competitive our budget really is? Yes the club say we are competitive but we hardly seem to be signing big earners unless I have totally misjudged?

Players out since last season (in no particular order)

Disley
Gowling
Pearson
Andrew
Gunning
Jones Dan
Chambers
Brown
Youssef
Wright
Venney

New players
Dixon
Osbourne K
Clarke
Kelly
Cardwell
Rose
Sawyer
Keeble
Dembele

May have missed players off either list but in general we certainly don't look to have increased the playing budget. I guess Clarke plus maybe Dixon, will be on decent money but the rest look distinctly bargain basement.
Private Message
jonnyboy82
August 2, 2017, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
The budget seems to be nowhere near the amount required for the players Slade wanted , the way we are still gambling on trialists shows that.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 70
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 2, 2017, 6:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,506
Gold Stars: 64
Unless somebody has the facts whats the point in speculating about budget size?

Leicester demonstrated the power of teamwork over individual ability and I think we need to focus on GTFC as a team not a collection of 11 individual players and their respective merits. I accept when new players come in we will debate opinion on whether we think it is a good or bad signing but in pre-season we have played three league sides; beat Barnsley from the Championship, lost 1-0 to Blackburn and drew 1-1 with Wigan both from league one.

This suggests we will be competitive in League 2 with, hopefully, a mean defence. As for goals we did ok in the 3 home games we played under RS last season and I still expect new forwards to join but maybe a bit later then we hoped.

I think the above results show there is no need to be too downhearted whatever our budget is or is not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 70
Mariner93er
August 2, 2017, 6:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
The budget probably has increased, but slade may have chosen to invest it in other areas such as staff and sports science. It also seems that this question is mainly arising due to our current failure to sign a striker. But which clubs in this league really have the fbudget to sign a proven goalscorer. Most of the time clubs top scorers will come from rejuvenated strikers like amond was with us in the conference (gooden being a good example last season), or through taking a chance on a non league player such as bogle. No clubs at our level have the ability to go out and get a striker who has consistently been banging in goals within the football league over the last few seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 70
LH
August 2, 2017, 7:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Can't believe we've been outbid for Neymar ffs Town sort it!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
diehardmariner
August 2, 2017, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 518
I think the question is a valid one, how competitive are we this year?

Yeah sure there's always one club every year that goes against the grain but generally your budget reflects your league position by the end of the season.

We had a lot of 'footballing fortune' last season with higher than anticipated gates, compensation for Hurst  and then the Bogle sale. Granted, we reinvested some of that in Clements, Jones and Osborne and then had less success with Yussuf, Gunning etc.  We've also stepped up our sports science which won't come cheap.  I suppose we could add the ever increasing costs to maintain Blundell Park to the list of costs too.

But I would still like to know how competitive we are and if we are actually competitive, whatever that means, why we appear to be rooting the bargain bin at this stage of pre-season and getting knocked back by player after player.

We're less than 72 hours from kick off and we have some big holes in the team.  Our left back, who I'm pleased we got, arrived at the weekend and I'm not sure what pre-season he's had. We have no real cover for him. Up front we've got a guy in Vernon who has never been prolific and for large parts of last season was forgotten about by many.  The only other striker we have has never kicked the ball in the top four divisions.

I think Vernon has a role to play (not as the main man) and I think Cardwell is very promising. But the situation is not good enough and questions should be asked. If that's to Fenty and the board for signing off a weak budget or Slade and his team for building a squad that is lopsided in balance, we're entitled to raise concerns and question.

For the record I think we're a good striker away from an excellent season.  Defence looks solid, midfield full of creativity but it all comes down to someone to lead the line.  
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
MuddyWaters
August 2, 2017, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think the question is a valid one, how competitive are we this year?

Yeah sure there's always one club every year that goes against the grain but generally your budget reflects your league position by the end of the season.

We had a lot of 'footballing fortune' last season with higher than anticipated gates, compensation for Hurst  and then the Bogle sale. Granted, we reinvested some of that in Clements, Jones and Osborne and then had less success with Yussuf, Gunning etc.  We've also stepped up our sports science which won't come cheap.  I suppose we could add the ever increasing costs to maintain Blundell Park to the list of costs too.

But I would still like to know how competitive we are and if we are actually competitive, whatever that means, why we appear to be rooting the bargain bin at this stage of pre-season and getting knocked back by player after player.

We're less than 72 hours from kick off and we have some big holes in the team.  Our left back, who I'm pleased we got, arrived at the weekend and I'm not sure what pre-season he's had. We have no real cover for him. Up front we've got a guy in Vernon who has never been prolific and for large parts of last season was forgotten about by many.  The only other striker we have has never kicked the ball in the top four divisions.

I think Vernon has a role to play (not as the main man) and I think Cardwell is very promising. But the situation is not good enough and questions should be asked. If that's to Fenty and the board for signing off a weak budget or Slade and his team for building a squad that is lopsided in balance, we're entitled to raise concerns and question.

For the record I think we're a good striker away from an excellent season.  Defence looks solid, midfield full of creativity but it all comes down to someone to lead the line.  

All valid points but the main reason we're struggling with recruitment is location, both in terms of facilities and geography. I'm sure that the budget will be questioned and I'm sure Slade has used some up on support staff but after 6 years of non-league, the club's infrastructure had fallen miles behind other clubs and that certainly needed to be addressed and Paul Hurst and Marcus Bignot said much the same.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
wigworld
August 2, 2017, 7:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
I have no idea what out budget is, or what wages our players are on. Equally, I don't know how the club would know what another team's budget is, or how competitive they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 70
friskneymariner
August 2, 2017, 7:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
We have been one striker away from an excellent season for several years.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2017, 7:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
There could be 6, 7, 8 clubs with a bigger budget than us in the coming season:

Coventry, Luton, Lincoln, Forest Green, Mansfield, Swindon, Chesterfield, Notts County.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Budget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.