6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
July 31, 2017, 6:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Things have gone very quiet surely we must be due an update ?
Logged Online
Private Message
acko338
July 31, 2017, 6:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Sssshhhhhh !!!! Nothing to see here !!! 😅
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
Swansea_Mariner
July 31, 2017, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Yeah I would have hoped that there would have been an announcement about the parties having reached an agreement about the land by now. Surely it hasn't stalled as it's been quite some time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
psgmariner
July 31, 2017, 7:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Wonder if the massive new development announced last week will have an impact?

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
crusty ole pie
July 31, 2017, 7:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

That was my thoughts
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
grimsby pete
July 31, 2017, 7:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The council have not even agreed to have a meeting to discuss when they should have their next meeting yet.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
fleabag1970
July 31, 2017, 7:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Oh look a flying pig...

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 56
denni266
July 31, 2017, 8:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
Cannot see it being built at all,, we have a backward council who are only interested in there own plans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
TheRealJohnLewis
July 31, 2017, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Maybe the council don't trust Fenty, so are not willing to work with him.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
ginnywings
July 31, 2017, 8:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Projects of this size are a long drawn out process. Unless i hear otherwise, i'm assuming that things are still in the planning phase and there is no reason to speculate that nothing is happening because we haven't heard anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
Squarkus
July 31, 2017, 8:51pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -295
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Maybe the council don't trust Fenty, so are not willing to work with him.

Maybe the council don't trust the council so are not willing to work with the council.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
Swansea_Mariner
July 31, 2017, 9:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Quoted from ginnywings
Projects of this size are a long drawn out process. Unless i hear otherwise, i'm assuming that things are still in the planning phase and there is no reason to speculate that nothing is happening because we haven't heard anything.

Wouldn't harm to have some regular coms though, even if they are just saying things are ticking over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
jonnyboy82
July 31, 2017, 9:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Things have gone very quiet surely we must be due an update ?

I have heard it will be an enabling development with all flying wildlife shot on sight to preserve the area .

Also it will be built slap bang in the middle of peaks parkway and any objectors will be immediately evicted without the right of appeal and there house sold to fund the stadium.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
arryarryarry
July 31, 2017, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

I disagree it's a long drawn out process, I mean its only been 22 years so far.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
ginnywings
July 31, 2017, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Wouldn't harm to have some regular coms though, even if they are just saying things are ticking over.

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt but i take the view that no news is good news. I don't know why but I've been optimistic from the start that this time it will happen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2017, 12:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from psgmariner

It amazes me that the council are quick to help the owners of Freshney Place ( Real Estate Partners (susidiary of Bank of Montreal)) by [/b]giving them the land were the old bus station was[b].  Then moved all the bus stops and starting dotting them all around Town Hall square, so a new cinema and cafe complex can built.

Freshney Place has been ripping off the shop outlets for 30 odd years with high rent, now people's shopping habits have changed (online shopping.  The last time I went into town lots of empty shops, or mobile outlets and pound shops, it's on a life support machine.

Some big names shops have moved out in recent years (Mothercare, WH Smith, BHS), for some reason BMO are investing £4.3m in redeveloping the old Primark store. "Mrs Austin said: "Clearly this represents a sizeable investment. It will serve to underline and strengthen Grimsby's shopping credentials, undoubtedly attracting more shoppers not just to Freshney Place, but also to the town". Deluded.

Grimsby Town Football Club have had to tread carefully as not to put the future of Freshney Place (councils jewel in the crown) in jeopardy as well as as all the other obstacles , such as councillor De Freitas, allotments etc.

This area is crying out for a sizeable entertainment complex where the whole family can go, especially now that Pleasure Island has closed.  Peaks Parkway development could fill that need, while GTFC would have a 21st century stadium.

If the council could as much effort into this development, as they have into Freshney place, it would have been built now.  

I am not against the Freshney development in principle, we need investment, its all the help they have had from the council, while other developments do not.

The area would benefit from both.

Anyway only 5 days to go to the start of the season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
psgmariner
August 1, 2017, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Redeveloping the Grimsby town centre and the waterfront / docks excites me a lot more than a retail park and loads of new houses in a field to be honest.

If the redevelopment goes ahead (and let's face it, if David Ross wants it to then it will) GTFC would be mad not to reconsider their chosen location at PP.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
realist
August 1, 2017, 8:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,688
Gold Stars: 41
Very good point Psg. The area has been crying out for this sort of redevelopment and it would all fit together well. A similar arrangement at Norwich is really good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
heppy88
August 1, 2017, 9:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
If I remember right, the next job is for the enablers Extreme to submit a detailed viability report on the project (Some time in the autumn?). This differs from the outline viability that has already been presented and accepted by the council. Once the detailed viability has been presented and accepted then I beleive a planning aplication can be made. I believe we are still a minimum of 2.5 years away (Taking into account planning and construction).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
GollyGTFC
August 1, 2017, 9:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
I would turn this on it's head. Instead of asking why the entertainment centre can't be at Peaks Parkway maybe we should be asking why Town's new ground can't be located close to the planned Freshney redevelopment? ie Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway is a bad location for those travelling to games from outside NE Lincolnshire. Ideally the ground should be easily accessible from the A180.

I travel to games from Grantham and even though I use the A46 from Newark to North of Lincoln, anyone with any local knowledge then takes the A15 and M180/A180 to get to the area. It's about 7 miles further, but so much quicker. Anyone coming from the North or the M1 corridor will also use the M180/A180 to come into NE Lincolnshire.

When Peaks Parkway was announced Fenty was very clear that the stadium had to be on the same site as the enabling development. But that was contradicted later when he said that multiple enabling developments could be anywhere around the area. if that is the case then I don't see any issue with Peaks Parkway just being a big enabling development for a stadium somewhere else (Garth Lane).

It seems like PP has been chosen because it's the easiest to achieve in the short term. I can remember reading an article in a match day programme (might have been v Stoke City the weekend before we played Aston Villa in the FAC R4 in 1994?) about Town moving to a new stadium. That was 24 years ago. We waited long enough. Another couple of years delay to build the stadium at a decent location might seem like a ball ache now, but would be worth it for the next 100 years after we move into the stadium.

It seems a pity that there is a massive redevelopment scheme for an entertainment complex in Grimsby and the club aren't part of the scheme.

And I would also question which retailers they expect to attract to that part of Peaks Parkway. I can't think of many big retail chains who aren't in the area already and with a better location. Retail is generally dying off. You have a massive extended out of town shopping area along Victoria Street from the A180 to just beyond the Peaks Parkway junction. Who wants to have a store a mile and a half or so further down the road?

To me it's a no brainer. There's a football stadium sized piece of land 50 yards away from the 9-screen cinema / 7 restaurant entertainment complex. Build the stadium at Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway can be the enabling development- mainly houses and whatever else they can manage to attract (pub/restaurant, Drive thru etc...).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 56
psgmariner
August 1, 2017, 10:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
what golly said.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
arryarryarry
August 1, 2017, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Quoted from The Yard Dog

It amazes me that the council are quick to help the owners of Freshney Place ( Real Estate Partners (susidiary of Bank of Montreal)) by [/b]giving them the land were the old bus station was[b].  Then moved all the bus stops and starting dotting them all around Town Hall square, so a new cinema and cafe complex can built.

Freshney Place has been ripping off the shop outlets for 30 odd years with high rent, now people's shopping habits have changed (online shopping.  The last time I went into town lots of empty shops, or mobile outlets and pound shops, it's on a life support machine.

Some big names shops have moved out in recent years (Mothercare, WH Smith, BHS), for some reason BMO are investing £4.3m in redeveloping the old Primark store. "Mrs Austin said: "Clearly this represents a sizeable investment. It will serve to underline and strengthen Grimsby's shopping credentials, undoubtedly attracting more shoppers not just to Freshney Place, but also to the town". Deluded.

Grimsby Town Football Club have had to tread carefully as not to put the future of Freshney Place (councils jewel in the crown) in jeopardy as well as as all the other obstacles , such as councillor De Freitas, allotments etc.

This area is crying out for a sizeable entertainment complex where the whole family can go, especially now that Pleasure Island has closed.  Peaks Parkway development could fill that need, while GTFC would have a 21st century stadium.

If the council could as much effort into this development, as they have into Freshney place, it would have been built now.  

I am not against the Freshney development in principle, we need investment, its all the help they have had from the council, while other developments do not.

The area would benefit from both.

Anyway only 5 days to go to the start of the season

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, I don't think the owners of Freshney Place, N.E. Lincs Council or even JF can be blamed for WH Smith and BHS for going mammaries up.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2017, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I would turn this on it's head. Instead of asking why the entertainment centre can't be at Peaks Parkway maybe we should be asking why Town's new ground can't be located close to the planned Freshney redevelopment? ie Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway is a bad location for those travelling to games from outside NE Lincolnshire. Ideally the ground should be easily accessible from the A180.

I travel to games from Grantham and even though I use the A46 from Newark to North of Lincoln, anyone with any local knowledge then takes the A15 and M180/A180 to get to the area. It's about 7 miles further, but so much quicker. Anyone coming from the North or the M1 corridor will also use the M180/A180 to come into NE Lincolnshire.

When Peaks Parkway was announced Fenty was very clear that the stadium had to be on the same site as the enabling development. But that was contradicted later when he said that multiple enabling developments could be anywhere around the area. if that is the case then I don't see any issue with Peaks Parkway just being a big enabling development for a stadium somewhere else (Garth Lane).

It seems like PP has been chosen because it's the easiest to achieve in the short term. I can remember reading an article in a match day programme (might have been v Stoke City the weekend before we played Aston Villa in the FAC R4 in 1994?) about Town moving to a new stadium. That was 24 years ago. We waited long enough. Another couple of years delay to build the stadium at a decent location might seem like a ball ache now, but would be worth it for the next 100 years after we move into the stadium.

It seems a pity that there is a massive redevelopment scheme for an entertainment complex in Grimsby and the club aren't part of the scheme.

[/b]And I would also question which retailers they expect to attract to that part of Peaks Parkway. I can't think of many big retail chains who aren't in the area already and with a better location. Retail is generally dying off. You have a massive extended out of town shopping area along Victoria Street from the A180 to just beyond the Peaks Parkway junction. Who wants to have a store a mile and a half or so further down the road?[b]

To me it's a no brainer. There's a football stadium sized piece of land 50 yards away from the 9-screen cinema / 7 restaurant entertainment complex. Build the stadium at Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway can be the enabling development- mainly houses and whatever else they can manage to attract (pub/restaurant, Drive thru etc...).

Peaks Parkway development is not trying to attract "big retail chains", as the council wants to redevelopment Top town, we is much needed.  Again this council is 20 years behind everyone else done.  With the right vision, there is a real opportunity to turn the town centre into something special, but i am afraid it with be a bit here and there.

Peaks Parkway needs to be entertainment facilities (something different) for the whole family, which hopefully extreme leisure can bring. A destination were people want to come to and spend time and money.

There is a huge potential to bring some major investment into the area with both developments, which could complement each other. Which in turn would create more jobs.

With investment, more investment generally follows.

This a massive opportunity for the council, get it right and it could breathe life back into this Great town of ours.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
GollyGTFC
August 1, 2017, 12:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
It's too late for Peaks Parkway to be an entertainment hub though. It's going to happen at Freshney Riverhead instead.

i wasn't the only one to comment over the 15+ years that this has dragged on that Town should go down the route of cinema/entertainment complex.

Grimsby has no Nandos, no Pizza Express, no Chiquitos, no Frankie & Benny's, no Five Guys, no Prezzo and the list goe on. If Town had put together their own proposals then a development of that nature could have helped pay for the new stadium.

Now it's too late.

Peaks Parkway can still have its ice rink, its community pitches, its GTFC training ground & As many houses as they can build. But there's no necessity for it to house a new stadium for Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 56
bedders78
August 1, 2017, 12:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from psgmariner
what golly said.

Golly for mayor

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
heppy88
August 1, 2017, 1:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Its time to move on. The debate as to where the new stadium is to be located is over. The decision has been made and it WILL be at Peaks Parkway. Obviously this is not going to be to everyone's liking, but these decisions never are. Much money and time has been spent on deciding Peaks Parkway as the location. Its time to move on and support the club with this aim.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
headingly_mariner
August 1, 2017, 1:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Quoted from heppy88
Its time to move on. The debate as to where the new stadium is to be located is over. The decision has been made and it WILL be at Peaks Parkway. Obviously this is not going to be to everyone's liking, but these decisions never are. Much money and time has been spent on deciding Peaks Parkway as the location. Its time to move on and support the club with this aim.

Not really because the club have completely failed to deliver it for the last 25 years and face a lot of opposition. Can't imagine there would be much opposition to a ground built into a redevelopment of the town.

I'd be amazed if we have a new ground within 5 years. I'd also be amazed if it's not shite when it's built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
realist
August 1, 2017, 2:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,688
Peaks  parkway is dead if the town centre plans go ahead.  This area can't support two new centres,never mind nandos etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
moosey_club
August 1, 2017, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
We have actually secretly started building the stadium underneath the PP site, this way when the hydraulic foundations push the finished stadium up through the earths surface we can claim its an act of god and just move in, defeating all Daffy Defreitas's anti stadium plans.
Close call last week though one of the allotment holders was digging his turnips up and struck the top of the flagpole that will fly the club colours, luckily he thought it was a piece of old plastic and just ignored it.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
TownSNAFU5
August 1, 2017, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Should this be an old stadium rather than a new one?😕

If Scunny had built a stadium 22 years ago, they would be moving to a new stadium now!h
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
Marinerz93
August 1, 2017, 3:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
We should have plans to built the new ground near the fish meal factory, with the away end being closest to it  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
Grim up north
August 1, 2017, 8:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
All options have been done to death and new suggestions are partly to blame that add to the dithering and delay. P/Parkway has come out as the preferred option and to be fair is the easiest to access from all angles of GY/Cleethorpes . The shame is the club brings in the only publicity this Town gets that stops it going the way of Goole and other non entity's ,let's hope the council realise it's asset before the horse has bolted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2017, 8:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Grim up north
All options have been done to death and new suggestions are partly to blame that add to the dithering and delay. P/Parkway has come out as the preferred option and to be fair is the easiest to access from all angles of GY/Cleethorpes . The shame is the club brings in the only publicity this Town gets that stops it going the way of Goole and other non entity's ,let's hope the council realise it's asset before the horse has bolted.

Like when Butlins wanted to invest in Cleethorpes, but the council said NO, generations later, guess what the council still differ about.
One of the reasons that Pleasure Island closed was due to the opening hours it could or could not operate on a daily basis, having to close at 5pm, because of the noise to the local residents.

I can remember when we had banger racing on the same site, and also the old wooden bridge to Anthony's bank was in use, you could heard a rumbling noise every time a car went over it in Thorganby Road. If we had banger racing now, only electric cars would be allowed.

Some numpty in Daggett just recently moaning in the Evening Telegraph about the noise from trains on the light railway.

This is suppose to a holiday resort, expect in this town everything shuts at 5pm, nothing for families to do together in the evening, the way things are going, we will be the Bournemouth of the East coast without the premiership football.

Never any vision or forward thinking, everything is an after thought.

Roll on Saturday, at least I will be able to rant about more important issues.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
ginnywings
August 1, 2017, 8:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Not really because the club have completely failed to deliver it for the last 25 years and face a lot of opposition. Can't imagine there would be much opposition to a ground built into a redevelopment of the town.

I'd be amazed if we have a new ground within 5 years. I'd also be amazed if it's not shite when it's built.

You think there would be no protests to a football ground built in the middle of town? I seriously doubt that.

The time for discussing the merits for and against PP are gone. That is where it was decided the best option lay, so let's just crack on with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
GollyGTFC
August 2, 2017, 10:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You think there would be no protests to a football ground built in the middle of town? I seriously doubt that.

The time for discussing the merits for and against PP are gone. That is where it was decided the best option lay, so let's just crack on with it.

Until the stadium is built (or at least the building process starts) the discussion is still open for debate. There hasn't even been a full planning application put in to NELC yet. Why the delay? Begs the question is the project at PP viable in it's current form? And if it's not is there any feasible way to make it viable and deliverable before the better sites around Town which were rejected purely because they wouldn't be available within the next 5-10 years become open to redevelopment?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 56
heppy88
August 2, 2017, 12:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Until the stadium is built (or at least the building process starts) the discussion is still open for debate. There hasn't even been a full planning application put in to NELC yet. Why the delay? Begs the question is the project at PP viable in it's current form? And if it's not is there any feasible way to make it viable and deliverable before the better sites around Town which were rejected purely because they wouldn't be available within the next 5-10 years become open to redevelopment?

There is no delay. The process is on track. The time frame was revealed by the club last year and as I mentioned earlier detailed viability is to be considered later this year. Acceptance of this will allow for full planning. This was always the plan and nothing has changed.
No one is dragging there feet on this. Any other new development elsewhere in town does not impact on this. There has always been a plan and as far as I am aware (Unless the club state otherwise) it is on track.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
GollyGTFC
August 2, 2017, 12:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from heppy88

There is no delay. The process is on track. The time frame was revealed by the club last year and as I mentioned earlier detailed viability is to be considered later this year. Acceptance of this will allow for full planning. This was always the plan and nothing has changed.
No one is dragging there feet on this. Any other new development elsewhere in town does not impact on this. There has always been a plan and as far as I am aware (Unless the club state otherwise) it is on track.

So you don't think the development of a cinema complex with 7 new restaurant chains is going to impact the viability of a new stadium development which planned to have drive thru(s) & family restaurant(s) as part of the enabling development? I'm not convinced.

And we got given 12 months exclusivity on Peaks Parkway in late 2013. Nearly 4 years has passed and we haven't even got a proper planning application in yet. But apparently everything is on track? Again, I'm not convinced. Every step in the process is dragging on.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 56
crusty ole pie
August 2, 2017, 12:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
I just think it would not hurt to keep supporters a little more informed
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
fleabag1970
August 2, 2017, 4:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Just because our ground is old doesn't excuse the lack of toilets for the upper findus ... that stairway at half time is an accident waiting to happen . I'm supprised the  football league havnt shut the stand down

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
Hagrid
August 2, 2017, 4:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
have to agree, if there was ever an incident in the findus, you wouldnt get out quickly!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
LH
August 2, 2017, 5:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I'm sure that when they award the fire certificate they don't just pen it up and they actual consider all that could go wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
fleabag1970
August 2, 2017, 6:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
As a customer  why should you have to put up with pre 1980 conditions ? ...... the fire officer may deam it safe but as a parent of a child that was pushed down the steps during the half time crush , I dont

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
ginnywings
August 2, 2017, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Is it? There was a feasibility study done at not inconsiderable expense and PP was chosen as the best option. The rest is just the planning process, which can take forever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2017, 7:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Is it? There was a feasibility study done at not inconsiderable expense and PP was chosen as the best option. The rest is just the planning process, which can take forever.

I guess you're right but there seems to be an inordinate number of steps that are being taken on this project*, and it's taking a huge amount of time. We found out with the Great Coates proposal how the passing of time* led to the project's abandonment because the commercial environment had changed.

* not through any fault of the Club

I agree with what Golly is saying. The recent town re-development announcement could easily scupper the enabling development for Peaks Parkway if it means that the perceived demand for leisure facilities are sated by an alternative scheme.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
LH
August 2, 2017, 7:24pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from fleabag1970
As a customer  why should you have to put up with pre 1980 conditions ? ...... the fire officer may deam it safe but as a parent of a child that was pushed down the steps during the half time crush , I dont

You know it's 1980s conditions before you go in? It's not perfect but it's been deemed safe by various authorities. Have you ever walked across the Pier and felt unsafe on the 1870s construction? If or when then new stadium is built in forty years will you be demanding we get a new stadium because it is outdated?

I think the most dangerous thing in that area is in fact the fire doors going in to the turnstile area that people walk through like they're entering a saloon in a western. Surely some sort of sliding door would be better so it can be moved while matches are on?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
ginnywings
August 2, 2017, 7:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I guess you're right but there seems to be an inordinate number of steps that are being taken on this project*, and it's taking a huge amount of time. We found out with the Great Coates proposal how the passing of time* led to the project's abandonment because the commercial environment had changed.

* not through any fault of the Club

I agree with what Golly is saying. The recent town re-development announcement could easily scupper the enabling development for Peaks Parkway if it means that the perceived demand for leisure facilities are sated by an alternative scheme.

That presupposes that the council didn't know about both developments and the impact each will have. It's the same authority and same planners for each, so they should have an idea what will be going where and if it's feasible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
fleabag1970
August 2, 2017, 8:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Have the authorities been there at half time during a well out game ? I doubt . As you you pier analogy ... give over . My local church is a 1000 years old but the facility's there are fine

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
fleabag1970
August 2, 2017, 8:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Predictive txt is just as excrement

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
moosey_club
August 2, 2017, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
I'm sure that when they award the fire certificate they don't just pen it up and they actual consider all that could go wrong.

yes.....i am sure they would consider the fact its built mainly of concrete and steel , 2 relatively low combustable products, when they assess the risk...
however an "incident" sadly isnt restricted to a fire nowadays.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
louth_in_the_south
August 2, 2017, 9:48pm

Exile
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
^^ oh yes a bombing at BP by Isis for example . Now the need for security checks becomes clear !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
Mrs Doyle
August 2, 2017, 9:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from realist
Peaks  parkway is dead if the town centre plans go ahead.  This area can't support two new centres,never mind nandos etc

Also the Ramsdens project was updated the other week apparently that project is still going ahead to redevelop that area. Somebody is going to be disappointed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2017, 11:00pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

That presupposes that the council didn't know about both developments and the impact each will have. It's the same authority and same planners for each, so they should have an idea what will be going where and if it's feasible.

It doesn't presuppose that at all. Knowing of both and approving both in outline are not mutually exclusive.

The Council and the planning department are only saying what is permissible vis a vis Peaks Parkway. They're not funding it, and if the potential investors for the enabling scheme get cold feet because of a rival scheme, it's only the Club's problem. Two schemes on the table - it's a race to see who closes the deal first. As far as they are concerned they are giving it a fair crack of the whip.

If the football stadium option falls flat on its face, the council could still find a way to get any housing it wishes to see on the site built, without any troublesome football ground being involved.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
mimma
August 2, 2017, 11:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Could someone please explain why the Riverhead development would scupper the stadium project? They are two completely different and much needed developments.  as far as I know, it's allowed, to have two projects like these at the same time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2017, 11:57pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Could someone please explain why the Riverhead development would scupper the stadium project? They are two completely different and much needed developments.  as far as I know, it's allowed, to have two projects like these at the same time.

It's not a question of whether two or more schemes are 'allowed'. It's a question of economics. To quote Golly (who IMO explains it succinctly)' "So you don't think the development of a cinema complex with 7 new restaurant chains is going to impact the viability of a new stadium development which planned to have drive thru(s) & family restaurant(s) as part of the enabling development?"

To an extent both schemes are in part competing for the same market. Do investors think there is a big enough market in NE Lincs to sustain two schemes. That'll be the real test at the end of the day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
GollyGTFC
August 3, 2017, 12:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Not strictly true though is it? Before that process Fenty used the argument that the stadium had to be at PP because that was the only site big enough for the required enabling development. Since then he's changed his tune somewhat and said enabling developments can be anywhere in the area.

If that's the case then what's to stop PP being an enabling development for a stadium somewhere else (such as Garth Lane)?

And the main reason that PP won was that the land is available for immediate redevelopment whereas other sites were not available in the short term and were excluded solely for that reason. The longer things drag on the closer we get to better locations being available. PP might have been the best available site in 2016, but will that still be the case in X years time when we are in the position that we can start building the new stadium?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 56
moosey_club
August 3, 2017, 8:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
^^ oh yes a bombing at BP by Isis for example . Now the need for security checks becomes clear !!

gas leaks, falling roof sheeting, UFO (unidentified flask object) and yes potentially terror threats or even just a hoax call...evacuating a stand is not just about a fire.
If you do or have sat in the Upper on match day you will know there are some pensioners who have to take a break half way up the access stair well and again going up to their seats which causes blockages, just how well will they fare if an actual emergency did occurr ?

Also it amazes me that 30(?) years after the stand was built people still dont realise there are toilets halfway down the stairs at the Pontoon end of the stand and still head to the bottom of the stand just for a pee !!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
ginnywings
August 3, 2017, 8:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Not strictly true though is it? Before that process Fenty used the argument that the stadium had to be at PP because that was the only site big enough for the required enabling development. Since then he's changed his tune somewhat and said enabling developments can be anywhere in the area.

If that's the case then what's to stop PP being an enabling development for a stadium somewhere else (such as Garth Lane)?

And the main reason that PP won was that the land is available for immediate redevelopment whereas other sites were not available in the short term and were excluded solely for that reason. The longer things drag on the closer we get to better locations being available. PP might have been the best available site in 2016, but will that still be the case in X years time when we are in the position that we can start building the new stadium?

Well yes it is true because the council also reached the same conclusion that PP was the best place for the ground. There is nothing to stop some of the enabling development (i.e. some of the houses) being built in other locations as it doesn't really matter. The ground can still be built at PP and the attraction of the project to a developer is still there. They won't particularly care if some of the houses are built at a different location as it's still an appealing development to them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.