arryarryarry
August 1, 2017, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from The Yard Dog

It amazes me that the council are quick to help the owners of Freshney Place ( Real Estate Partners (susidiary of Bank of Montreal)) by [/b]giving them the land were the old bus station was[b].  Then moved all the bus stops and starting dotting them all around Town Hall square, so a new cinema and cafe complex can built.

Freshney Place has been ripping off the shop outlets for 30 odd years with high rent, now people's shopping habits have changed (online shopping.  The last time I went into town lots of empty shops, or mobile outlets and pound shops, it's on a life support machine.

Some big names shops have moved out in recent years (Mothercare, WH Smith, BHS), for some reason BMO are investing £4.3m in redeveloping the old Primark store. "Mrs Austin said: "Clearly this represents a sizeable investment. It will serve to underline and strengthen Grimsby's shopping credentials, undoubtedly attracting more shoppers not just to Freshney Place, but also to the town". Deluded.

Grimsby Town Football Club have had to tread carefully as not to put the future of Freshney Place (councils jewel in the crown) in jeopardy as well as as all the other obstacles , such as councillor De Freitas, allotments etc.

This area is crying out for a sizeable entertainment complex where the whole family can go, especially now that Pleasure Island has closed.  Peaks Parkway development could fill that need, while GTFC would have a 21st century stadium.

If the council could as much effort into this development, as they have into Freshney place, it would have been built now.  

I am not against the Freshney development in principle, we need investment, its all the help they have had from the council, while other developments do not.

The area would benefit from both.

Anyway only 5 days to go to the start of the season

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, I don't think the owners of Freshney Place, N.E. Lincs Council or even JF can be blamed for WH Smith and BHS for going mammaries up.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2017, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I would turn this on it's head. Instead of asking why the entertainment centre can't be at Peaks Parkway maybe we should be asking why Town's new ground can't be located close to the planned Freshney redevelopment? ie Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway is a bad location for those travelling to games from outside NE Lincolnshire. Ideally the ground should be easily accessible from the A180.

I travel to games from Grantham and even though I use the A46 from Newark to North of Lincoln, anyone with any local knowledge then takes the A15 and M180/A180 to get to the area. It's about 7 miles further, but so much quicker. Anyone coming from the North or the M1 corridor will also use the M180/A180 to come into NE Lincolnshire.

When Peaks Parkway was announced Fenty was very clear that the stadium had to be on the same site as the enabling development. But that was contradicted later when he said that multiple enabling developments could be anywhere around the area. if that is the case then I don't see any issue with Peaks Parkway just being a big enabling development for a stadium somewhere else (Garth Lane).

It seems like PP has been chosen because it's the easiest to achieve in the short term. I can remember reading an article in a match day programme (might have been v Stoke City the weekend before we played Aston Villa in the FAC R4 in 1994?) about Town moving to a new stadium. That was 24 years ago. We waited long enough. Another couple of years delay to build the stadium at a decent location might seem like a ball ache now, but would be worth it for the next 100 years after we move into the stadium.

It seems a pity that there is a massive redevelopment scheme for an entertainment complex in Grimsby and the club aren't part of the scheme.

[/b]And I would also question which retailers they expect to attract to that part of Peaks Parkway. I can't think of many big retail chains who aren't in the area already and with a better location. Retail is generally dying off. You have a massive extended out of town shopping area along Victoria Street from the A180 to just beyond the Peaks Parkway junction. Who wants to have a store a mile and a half or so further down the road?[b]

To me it's a no brainer. There's a football stadium sized piece of land 50 yards away from the 9-screen cinema / 7 restaurant entertainment complex. Build the stadium at Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway can be the enabling development- mainly houses and whatever else they can manage to attract (pub/restaurant, Drive thru etc...).

Peaks Parkway development is not trying to attract "big retail chains", as the council wants to redevelopment Top town, we is much needed.  Again this council is 20 years behind everyone else done.  With the right vision, there is a real opportunity to turn the town centre into something special, but i am afraid it with be a bit here and there.

Peaks Parkway needs to be entertainment facilities (something different) for the whole family, which hopefully extreme leisure can bring. A destination were people want to come to and spend time and money.

There is a huge potential to bring some major investment into the area with both developments, which could complement each other. Which in turn would create more jobs.

With investment, more investment generally follows.

This a massive opportunity for the council, get it right and it could breathe life back into this Great town of ours.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
GollyGTFC
August 1, 2017, 12:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,981
Gold Stars: 356
It's too late for Peaks Parkway to be an entertainment hub though. It's going to happen at Freshney Riverhead instead.

i wasn't the only one to comment over the 15+ years that this has dragged on that Town should go down the route of cinema/entertainment complex.

Grimsby has no Nandos, no Pizza Express, no Chiquitos, no Frankie & Benny's, no Five Guys, no Prezzo and the list goe on. If Town had put together their own proposals then a development of that nature could have helped pay for the new stadium.

Now it's too late.

Peaks Parkway can still have its ice rink, its community pitches, its GTFC training ground & As many houses as they can build. But there's no necessity for it to house a new stadium for Town.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 56
bedders78
August 1, 2017, 12:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from psgmariner
what golly said.

Golly for mayor

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
heppy88
August 1, 2017, 1:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Its time to move on. The debate as to where the new stadium is to be located is over. The decision has been made and it WILL be at Peaks Parkway. Obviously this is not going to be to everyone's liking, but these decisions never are. Much money and time has been spent on deciding Peaks Parkway as the location. Its time to move on and support the club with this aim.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
headingly_mariner
August 1, 2017, 1:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from heppy88
Its time to move on. The debate as to where the new stadium is to be located is over. The decision has been made and it WILL be at Peaks Parkway. Obviously this is not going to be to everyone's liking, but these decisions never are. Much money and time has been spent on deciding Peaks Parkway as the location. Its time to move on and support the club with this aim.

Not really because the club have completely failed to deliver it for the last 25 years and face a lot of opposition. Can't imagine there would be much opposition to a ground built into a redevelopment of the town.

I'd be amazed if we have a new ground within 5 years. I'd also be amazed if it's not shite when it's built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
realist
August 1, 2017, 2:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Peaks  parkway is dead if the town centre plans go ahead.  This area can't support two new centres,never mind nandos etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
moosey_club
August 1, 2017, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
We have actually secretly started building the stadium underneath the PP site, this way when the hydraulic foundations push the finished stadium up through the earths surface we can claim its an act of god and just move in, defeating all Daffy Defreitas's anti stadium plans.
Close call last week though one of the allotment holders was digging his turnips up and struck the top of the flagpole that will fly the club colours, luckily he thought it was a piece of old plastic and just ignored it.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
TownSNAFU5
August 1, 2017, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,840
Gold Stars: 42
Should this be an old stadium rather than a new one?😕

If Scunny had built a stadium 22 years ago, they would be moving to a new stadium now!h
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.