6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Squarkus
July 31, 2017, 8:51pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -295
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Maybe the council don't trust Fenty, so are not willing to work with him.

Maybe the council don't trust the council so are not willing to work with the council.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
Swansea_Mariner
July 31, 2017, 9:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from ginnywings
Projects of this size are a long drawn out process. Unless i hear otherwise, i'm assuming that things are still in the planning phase and there is no reason to speculate that nothing is happening because we haven't heard anything.

Wouldn't harm to have some regular coms though, even if they are just saying things are ticking over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
jonnyboy82
July 31, 2017, 9:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Things have gone very quiet surely we must be due an update ?

I have heard it will be an enabling development with all flying wildlife shot on sight to preserve the area .

Also it will be built slap bang in the middle of peaks parkway and any objectors will be immediately evicted without the right of appeal and there house sold to fund the stadium.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
arryarryarry
July 31, 2017, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
Projects of this size are a long drawn out process. Unless i hear otherwise, i'm assuming that things are still in the planning phase and there is no reason to speculate that nothing is happening because we haven't heard anything.

I disagree it's a long drawn out process, I mean its only been 22 years so far.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
ginnywings
July 31, 2017, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Wouldn't harm to have some regular coms though, even if they are just saying things are ticking over.

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt but i take the view that no news is good news. I don't know why but I've been optimistic from the start that this time it will happen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2017, 12:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from psgmariner
Wonder if the massive new development announced last week will have an impact?

It amazes me that the council are quick to help the owners of Freshney Place ( Real Estate Partners (susidiary of Bank of Montreal)) by [/b]giving them the land were the old bus station was[b].  Then moved all the bus stops and starting dotting them all around Town Hall square, so a new cinema and cafe complex can built.

Freshney Place has been ripping off the shop outlets for 30 odd years with high rent, now people's shopping habits have changed (online shopping.  The last time I went into town lots of empty shops, or mobile outlets and pound shops, it's on a life support machine.

Some big names shops have moved out in recent years (Mothercare, WH Smith, BHS), for some reason BMO are investing £4.3m in redeveloping the old Primark store. "Mrs Austin said: "Clearly this represents a sizeable investment. It will serve to underline and strengthen Grimsby's shopping credentials, undoubtedly attracting more shoppers not just to Freshney Place, but also to the town". Deluded.

Grimsby Town Football Club have had to tread carefully as not to put the future of Freshney Place (councils jewel in the crown) in jeopardy as well as as all the other obstacles , such as councillor De Freitas, allotments etc.

This area is crying out for a sizeable entertainment complex where the whole family can go, especially now that Pleasure Island has closed.  Peaks Parkway development could fill that need, while GTFC would have a 21st century stadium.

If the council could as much effort into this development, as they have into Freshney place, it would have been built now.  

I am not against the Freshney development in principle, we need investment, its all the help they have had from the council, while other developments do not.

The area would benefit from both.

Anyway only 5 days to go to the start of the season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
psgmariner
August 1, 2017, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Redeveloping the Grimsby town centre and the waterfront / docks excites me a lot more than a retail park and loads of new houses in a field to be honest.

If the redevelopment goes ahead (and let's face it, if David Ross wants it to then it will) GTFC would be mad not to reconsider their chosen location at PP.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
realist
August 1, 2017, 8:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Very good point Psg. The area has been crying out for this sort of redevelopment and it would all fit together well. A similar arrangement at Norwich is really good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
heppy88
August 1, 2017, 9:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
If I remember right, the next job is for the enablers Extreme to submit a detailed viability report on the project (Some time in the autumn?). This differs from the outline viability that has already been presented and accepted by the council. Once the detailed viability has been presented and accepted then I beleive a planning aplication can be made. I believe we are still a minimum of 2.5 years away (Taking into account planning and construction).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
GollyGTFC
August 1, 2017, 9:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
I would turn this on it's head. Instead of asking why the entertainment centre can't be at Peaks Parkway maybe we should be asking why Town's new ground can't be located close to the planned Freshney redevelopment? ie Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway is a bad location for those travelling to games from outside NE Lincolnshire. Ideally the ground should be easily accessible from the A180.

I travel to games from Grantham and even though I use the A46 from Newark to North of Lincoln, anyone with any local knowledge then takes the A15 and M180/A180 to get to the area. It's about 7 miles further, but so much quicker. Anyone coming from the North or the M1 corridor will also use the M180/A180 to come into NE Lincolnshire.

When Peaks Parkway was announced Fenty was very clear that the stadium had to be on the same site as the enabling development. But that was contradicted later when he said that multiple enabling developments could be anywhere around the area. if that is the case then I don't see any issue with Peaks Parkway just being a big enabling development for a stadium somewhere else (Garth Lane).

It seems like PP has been chosen because it's the easiest to achieve in the short term. I can remember reading an article in a match day programme (might have been v Stoke City the weekend before we played Aston Villa in the FAC R4 in 1994?) about Town moving to a new stadium. That was 24 years ago. We waited long enough. Another couple of years delay to build the stadium at a decent location might seem like a ball ache now, but would be worth it for the next 100 years after we move into the stadium.

It seems a pity that there is a massive redevelopment scheme for an entertainment complex in Grimsby and the club aren't part of the scheme.

And I would also question which retailers they expect to attract to that part of Peaks Parkway. I can't think of many big retail chains who aren't in the area already and with a better location. Retail is generally dying off. You have a massive extended out of town shopping area along Victoria Street from the A180 to just beyond the Peaks Parkway junction. Who wants to have a store a mile and a half or so further down the road?

To me it's a no brainer. There's a football stadium sized piece of land 50 yards away from the 9-screen cinema / 7 restaurant entertainment complex. Build the stadium at Garth Lane.

Peaks Parkway can be the enabling development- mainly houses and whatever else they can manage to attract (pub/restaurant, Drive thru etc...).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.