14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
August 1, 2017, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Dembele 20, Rose 22, Kelly 23, Mills 24, Osborne 25, Jones 25, Asante 24, Killip 20. I'd say that's 8 young players, we are not a retirement home I'd rather have experienced defenders who won't make many mistakes and fresh and talented young attacking players who will be less fearful and more inspiring. We are a top quality No. 9 away from a promotion chasing side.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 137
ginnywings
August 1, 2017, 8:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 75

He's 34. Do you not think we have become a retirement home already?

Dignitas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 137
Mighty_Mariner
August 1, 2017, 8:42am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

John Terry is 36, would you turn him away?

Yes because he is a monumental c**t!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 137
Pogo
August 1, 2017, 9:12am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
JJ hooper's 23 according to wiki ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 137
Mighty_Mariner
August 1, 2017, 9:38am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
In terms of JJ  Hooper... No idea if he's any good or not but i'd sign him for this reason alone:

[b]Hooper had trials at Scottish sides Dunfermline Athletic, Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Raith Rovers in summer 2015, before playing two friendlies for Cheltenham Town.[17] He impressed enough to win a contract with the club and was photographed with manager Gary Johnson when he was informed of interest from League One club Port Vale; Hooper sneaked out of Whaddon Road to speak with Port Vale shortly before he was due to sign a contract with Cheltenham.[18] The Cheltenham club website initially reported that Hooper had signed a one-year contract.[19] In August 2015, he was revealed as a Port Vale player after signing a two-year contract with the club

What a lad! We all like a good story where Cheltenham are screwed over  

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 137
TheGoalKipper
August 1, 2017, 10:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Getting a young striker who is already knocking in 20+ goals would put him in the Bogle bracket and out of our reach. What we have done is what most clubs do in L1/2 - sign promising players who we hope are a season away from developing into that 20+ goal striker.e.g.Asante who we have been unlucky with. A highly experienced striker with 1/2 good years left in him to tide us over is exactly what we do need IMO. Asante will come good when he is fit

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 137
August 1, 2017, 11:00am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
If only it were that easy. Clubs of our size need to be looking at someone on their way up looking for the next step like Bogle or Jones, or a youngster from a higher division who their parent club want to sharpen up like Dyson. Then there are the players like Vernon who have been around the higher divisions and are getting on a bit. Ready made, 20 goal a season strikers in their prime are few and far between at our level.

I think the key is to have a few players who can score and spread the goals around, coupled with a mean defence and an organised team overall. I don't think we will blow teams away with attacking threat, not going on the Slade mk1 era anyway.

On the other hand, there may be the new Reddy about to join us.

Agree with this - I didn't mean to imply it was easy!

My feeling is we're top-half of the table but outside the playoff/promotion places as things stand.

Without this difficult-to-find decent No.9 we'd probably be relying on Asante getting/staying fit or Cardwell 'coming good' for us to mount a promotion challenge.
Might happen, but similar hopes in the past have generally been dashed.
Reply: 46 - 137
headingly_mariner
August 1, 2017, 11:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I think that if we have got Hooper on trial then it's likely we will sign him. He would be a decent signing. He's quick, strong and a good finisher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 137
Jarmo.Is.God
August 1, 2017, 11:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think that if we have got Hooper on trial then it's likely we will sign him. He would be a decent signing. He's quick, strong and a good finisher.

To replace Yussuf? rather than be the new number 9?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 137
Stew0_0
August 1, 2017, 11:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Looking at videos of him on youtube (always the best bits granted) but style of play and build etc he looks as close to Bogle as we are going to get. Hope we sign him and start with him on saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New striker possibilities

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.