Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could it be three.....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 313 Guests

Could it be three.....

This thread currently has 3,591 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
July 26, 2017, 12:53pm
Guest User
...at the back? Assuming no Jamey Osborne or Sean McAllister, I went with:

McKeown
           Clarke     Collins   K.Osborne
                  Mills              Rose
Bolarinwa    Dembele   S.Jones    Kelly
                               Vernon

Not that it matters - I imagine we'll play 442 unless there's a major shift in the cosmic axis.
RichMariner
July 26, 2017, 1:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Everything in pre-season so far suggests you have at least three players playing out of position (Mills, Dembele and Jones).

Not sure why Slade would change from 4-4-2 and go with something as untested and risky as that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
Maringer
July 26, 2017, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
We don't have players who are suited to playing as wing-backs so, no, I don't think we'll be seeing three at the back.

I think that Rose looked to be right-footed last night. Best not to confuse him with his brother and assume he's a left-back!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
mariner91
July 26, 2017, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Why would you only have three senior centre backs in your squad if you were planning on 3 at the back? One injury or suspension and you're screwed.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
MuddyWaters
July 26, 2017, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
It seemed like 4231 last night with Berrett and Rose playing slightly deeper and one of them joining the 3 when we went forward. Rose seems a more athletic option than anything we had last year and I expect Dembele Jones and Kelly to switch around behind the striker. Nothing in preseason suggests 3 at the back though!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Laddy89
July 26, 2017, 4:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 6
Bolarinwa and Vernon.  Jesus. Mid table all over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Maringer
July 26, 2017, 4:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
It seemed like 4231 last night with Berrett and Rose playing slightly deeper and one of them joining the 3 when we went forward. Rose seems a more athletic option than anything we had last year and I expect Dembele Jones and Kelly to switch around behind the striker. Nothing in preseason suggests 3 at the back though!

Watching from the Upper Findus it definitely seemed to be a 4-1-4-1 as Rose was notably further forward than Berrett and was playing next to Jones who was out on the right. I was actually quite impressed at times how well the midfield four were moving up and down in a line when the opposition were in possession. It certainly looked as though they were well-drilled and had been working at it.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I reckon this was a practice for when we play the better teams away from home. If so, I reckon we're going to be aiming for lots of clean sheets away from home, though might perhaps end up with too many draws.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
MuddyWaters
July 26, 2017, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Maringer

Watching from the Upper Findus it definitely seemed to be a 4-1-4-1 as Rose was notably further forward than Berrett and was playing next to Jones who was out on the right. I was actually quite impressed at times how well the midfield four were moving up and down in a line when the opposition were in possession. It certainly looked as though they were well-drilled and had been working at it.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I reckon this was a practice for when we play the better teams away from home. If so, I reckon we're going to be aiming for lots of clean sheets away from home, though might perhaps end up with too many draws.

If you re-read, I said it looked like 4231 with one of the 2 joining the 3 when we were going forward ie 4141! Rose appears to have the energy to do this although Berrett looks fitter than he did last season.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Maringer
July 26, 2017, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Sorry, I just didn't think that Rose made any attempt to drop back into a 2 alongside Berrett which indicates to me that wasn't the plan. If anything, Rose played further forward than Jones and Dembele for much of the first half!

I initially thought we'd be playing 4-2-3-1 but it didn't seem to me that this is the formation that was actually used. Strange, as you'd have thought that Rose would have been better suited to play the role shielding the back 4 with Berrett further forward and Berrett certainly played in a much more advanced role later in the game following the substitutions.

Regardless, Slade's comments indicate that he was happy with the way the team performed though I think we should have done much better when in attacking possession and gave away the ball very sloppily at times (as did they, for that matter).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
grimsby pete
July 26, 2017, 6:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Laddy89
Bolarinwa and Vernon.  Jesus. Mid table all over.

Sorry to disagree but with Jesus in the side miracles will happen.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could it be three.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.