Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings (or lack of )
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 89 Guests

Signings (or lack of )

This thread currently has 9,116 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
July 21, 2017, 1:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Now before any one is thinking I'm having a go at the club by my thoughts here I'm not.

I'm just sat here thinking to myself about our summer transfer activity and how Russell Slade was bought in to take our recruitment and overall drive of the club forward or should I say the next level (John fentys words not mine ) but I cant help but think it's all been a bit of an anti climax or damp squid whatever you want to call it.

We sold Bogle for around a million quid and with the season week or so away we genuinely have no replacement bought in to replace our main striker, now I'm not saying we should blow cash on a player but what I am saying is genuinely were is our "striker" which will replace him ?

We made the management change to push out club forward and show ambition this season as again John fenty said on paper he wants a top end finish and he felt bignot was not going to deliver that , well hang on a minute selling Bogle and chancing your luck on trialists with days away from the start of the season is not exactly showing intent or supporting the manager with funds needed to deliver the finish fenty wants at the end of the season.

I'm genuinely not sure what to think ATM we have bought in a few young lads in on frees from clubs and taken a chance , we have some still on trial which is normal practice but were is this Bogle money or at least a part of it being invested in another bogle or to strengthen us for the present to really improve on last season.

I don't know if it's John not making money available for a player or if Russell hasn't found anyone but again the whole reason for the management change was to kick on but I can't help but feel a little short changed .

I am not having a go like I said but I really am struggling to see what we are really trying to do as getting some trialist here and hoping he has something is all well and good but come on let's face it we need some real quality and fast if we are going to get what the man himself said he wanted and that's a playoff finish.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
July 21, 2017, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
It could be that clubs, players and agents know we have some of the Bogle money left and are making over the top demands? It could also be we aren't offering enough to our top target.

Having said that I too am concerned that we currently have 4 defenders meaning we need at least 3 defensive additions with the season starting in 2 weeks! Far from ideal when we have had our week away bonding.

Still time of course and RS must be as frustrated as any fan
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
Stew0_0
July 21, 2017, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Why would slade be looking to sign a player to replace bogle. Russ has never worked with or knows anything about him as he had already left before the manager joined.

Slade is building quite a good, positive team here and the fact that we havent filled the number 9 shirt yet suggests he isnt finshed in the striking department yet. There are some of his targets i.e maynard that have moved elsewhere so he has been knocked back a few times but that shows we are looking for quality rather than bringing in for numbers.

Regarding having or not having the squad complete before now i dont think other than mansfield any other team in league two have completed their business yet and that is why the window is open till August 31st.

If youve seen half of the pre-season games so far you will see we have nothing to panic about.
Move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
Quagmire
July 21, 2017, 3:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Stew0_0

Regarding having or not having the squad complete before now i dont think other than mansfield any other team in league two have completed their business yet and that is why the window is open till August 31st.

Maybe there are teams still looking to bring players in but I would very much doubt there are any teams in League 2 that only have 4 defenders on the books and no left back ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
moosey_club
July 21, 2017, 3:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Pretty sure we spent a chunk of the Bogle money during the transfer window on ....Jones, Osbourne, Clement, Yussuf, Gunning, didnt we? (Maybe even some more that arent immediately springing to mind)...also we have signed 6 players under RS....including Dembele and Cardwell who are attacking options, Cardwell looking promising so far regards replacing Bogles goals.

So ....no lack of signings in reality JB.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
supertown
July 21, 2017, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,409
Gold Stars: 53
damp squid,

It's a squib (just saying)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
Abdul19
July 21, 2017, 3:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,431
Gold Stars: 212
I mean, all squids are damp.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
MuddyWaters
July 21, 2017, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Would be nice to have a left back before the season starts though
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
July 21, 2017, 4:10pm
Guest User
Two nights ago Graham Rodger was at Notts County watching the Walker kid play for Forest against County.

The number 9 shirt is still vacant.

I am not panicking about a striker at all. The fact we have signed a striker this week in Cardwell and still haven't designated the 9, leaves me with no doubt that a new striker will be coming in, Walker or somebody else.
Reply: 8 - 49
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 21, 2017, 4:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Looking at the squad that went daaan saaaaf plus McAlister there's a lot of players there. No doubt RS will need to unload some at least on loan if only to reduce the wage bill a bit.

I suspect that a fair bit of Boglecash has already been spent on signings last season and that RS will be in no hurry. He will be pleased with the performances of the strikers so far and will want to see them against more of the Barnsley type opposition. If he is going to spend my guess would be that he will wait and see first but he will have alternatives in mind.

It will be interesting to see who plays in the next game or two after Boston because he must be getting close to deciding his opening day line up.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings (or lack of )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.