Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings (or lack of )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 282 Guests

Signings (or lack of )

This thread currently has 9,161 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
July 21, 2017, 1:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Now before any one is thinking I'm having a go at the club by my thoughts here I'm not.

I'm just sat here thinking to myself about our summer transfer activity and how Russell Slade was bought in to take our recruitment and overall drive of the club forward or should I say the next level (John fentys words not mine ) but I cant help but think it's all been a bit of an anti climax or damp squid whatever you want to call it.

We sold Bogle for around a million quid and with the season week or so away we genuinely have no replacement bought in to replace our main striker, now I'm not saying we should blow cash on a player but what I am saying is genuinely were is our "striker" which will replace him ?

We made the management change to push out club forward and show ambition this season as again John fenty said on paper he wants a top end finish and he felt bignot was not going to deliver that , well hang on a minute selling Bogle and chancing your luck on trialists with days away from the start of the season is not exactly showing intent or supporting the manager with funds needed to deliver the finish fenty wants at the end of the season.

I'm genuinely not sure what to think ATM we have bought in a few young lads in on frees from clubs and taken a chance , we have some still on trial which is normal practice but were is this Bogle money or at least a part of it being invested in another bogle or to strengthen us for the present to really improve on last season.

I don't know if it's John not making money available for a player or if Russell hasn't found anyone but again the whole reason for the management change was to kick on but I can't help but feel a little short changed .

I am not having a go like I said but I really am struggling to see what we are really trying to do as getting some trialist here and hoping he has something is all well and good but come on let's face it we need some real quality and fast if we are going to get what the man himself said he wanted and that's a playoff finish.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
July 21, 2017, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
It could be that clubs, players and agents know we have some of the Bogle money left and are making over the top demands? It could also be we aren't offering enough to our top target.

Having said that I too am concerned that we currently have 4 defenders meaning we need at least 3 defensive additions with the season starting in 2 weeks! Far from ideal when we have had our week away bonding.

Still time of course and RS must be as frustrated as any fan
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
Stew0_0
July 21, 2017, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Why would slade be looking to sign a player to replace bogle. Russ has never worked with or knows anything about him as he had already left before the manager joined.

Slade is building quite a good, positive team here and the fact that we havent filled the number 9 shirt yet suggests he isnt finshed in the striking department yet. There are some of his targets i.e maynard that have moved elsewhere so he has been knocked back a few times but that shows we are looking for quality rather than bringing in for numbers.

Regarding having or not having the squad complete before now i dont think other than mansfield any other team in league two have completed their business yet and that is why the window is open till August 31st.

If youve seen half of the pre-season games so far you will see we have nothing to panic about.
Move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
Quagmire
July 21, 2017, 3:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Stew0_0

Regarding having or not having the squad complete before now i dont think other than mansfield any other team in league two have completed their business yet and that is why the window is open till August 31st.

Maybe there are teams still looking to bring players in but I would very much doubt there are any teams in League 2 that only have 4 defenders on the books and no left back ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
moosey_club
July 21, 2017, 3:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Pretty sure we spent a chunk of the Bogle money during the transfer window on ....Jones, Osbourne, Clement, Yussuf, Gunning, didnt we? (Maybe even some more that arent immediately springing to mind)...also we have signed 6 players under RS....including Dembele and Cardwell who are attacking options, Cardwell looking promising so far regards replacing Bogles goals.

So ....no lack of signings in reality JB.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
supertown
July 21, 2017, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
damp squid,

It's a squib (just saying)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
Abdul19
July 21, 2017, 3:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I mean, all squids are damp.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
MuddyWaters
July 21, 2017, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Would be nice to have a left back before the season starts though
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
July 21, 2017, 4:10pm
Guest User
Two nights ago Graham Rodger was at Notts County watching the Walker kid play for Forest against County.

The number 9 shirt is still vacant.

I am not panicking about a striker at all. The fact we have signed a striker this week in Cardwell and still haven't designated the 9, leaves me with no doubt that a new striker will be coming in, Walker or somebody else.
Reply: 8 - 49
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 21, 2017, 4:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Looking at the squad that went daaan saaaaf plus McAlister there's a lot of players there. No doubt RS will need to unload some at least on loan if only to reduce the wage bill a bit.

I suspect that a fair bit of Boglecash has already been spent on signings last season and that RS will be in no hurry. He will be pleased with the performances of the strikers so far and will want to see them against more of the Barnsley type opposition. If he is going to spend my guess would be that he will wait and see first but he will have alternatives in mind.

It will be interesting to see who plays in the next game or two after Boston because he must be getting close to deciding his opening day line up.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
ginnywings
July 21, 2017, 4:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
What's the point in worrying? I'm sure management know what they are doing.

The only slight concern for me is we have 5 defenders including Keeble and about a dozen midfielders, some of whom must surely be moved on. We have quite a few strikers as well and possibly another to come. I think we need to bring in 3 or 4 players and ship a few out and we're sorted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
Garth
July 21, 2017, 4:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Looking at the squad that went daaan saaaaf plus McAlister there's a lot of players there. No doubt RS will need to unload some at least on loan if only to reduce the wage bill a bit.

I suspect that a fair bit of Boglecash has already been spent on signings last season and that RS will be in no hurry. He will be pleased with the performances of the strikers so far and will want to see them against more of the Barnsley type opposition. If he is going to spend my guess would be that he will wait and see first but he will have alternatives in mind.

It will be interesting to see who plays in the next game or two after Boston because he must be getting close to deciding his opening day line up.

He will have his targets regarding the no 9 shirt, as it is.  it seems that the squad at the moment has plenty of pace and goals in it even if it is against lower opposition, plenty of twists and turns to come yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Youngy
July 21, 2017, 4:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Now before any one is thinking I'm having a go at the club by my thoughts here I'm not.

I'm just sat here thinking to myself about our summer transfer activity and how Russell Slade was bought in to take our recruitment and overall drive of the club forward or should I say the next level (John fentys words not mine ) but I cant help but think it's all been a bit of an anti climax or damp squid whatever you want to call it.

We sold Bogle for around a million quid and with the season week or so away we genuinely have no replacement bought in to replace our main striker, now I'm not saying we should blow cash on a player but what I am saying is genuinely were is our "striker" which will replace him ?

We made the management change to push out club forward and show ambition this season as again John fenty said on paper he wants a top end finish and he felt bignot was not going to deliver that , well hang on a minute selling Bogle and chancing your luck on trialists with days away from the start of the season is not exactly showing intent or supporting the manager with funds needed to deliver the finish fenty wants at the end of the season.

I'm genuinely not sure what to think ATM we have bought in a few young lads in on frees from clubs and taken a chance , we have some still on trial which is normal practice but were is this Bogle money or at least a part of it being invested in another bogle or to strengthen us for the present to really improve on last season.

I don't know if it's John not making money available for a player or if Russell hasn't found anyone but again the whole reason for the management change was to kick on but I can't help but feel a little short changed .

I am not having a go like I said but I really am struggling to see what we are really trying to do as getting some trialist here and hoping he has something is all well and good but come on let's face it we need some real quality and fast if we are going to get what the man himself said he wanted and that's a playoff finish.

I think Karleigh Osbourne will sign which will give us 4 centre backs, left back is still the priority and a striker would be the cherry on top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Southwark Mariner
July 21, 2017, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Is Tom Sawyer on the trip? I think he signed a pro contract at the same time as Keeble but not heard him mentioned (I don't think).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
OllieGTFC
July 21, 2017, 5:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Lack of signing 6 summers signing 🤔 Pointless thread

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
Heisenberg
July 21, 2017, 5:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Lack of signing 6 summers signing 🤔 Pointless thread

Two (shall we say) 'mature' centre halves and no left back by the end of July would suggest a lack of signings in my book.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
Maringer
July 21, 2017, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Abdul19

Provably [url=http://theasiancookshop.co.uk/dried-squid-3269-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7azThuOa1QIVh5PtCh2WKAuWEAQYAiABEgJRDfD_BwE]untrue[/url].
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
Tommy
July 21, 2017, 5:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
With all the talk of a "Bogle replacement", are we forgetting that Sam Jones scored 7 goals in 16 games in the second half of last season after Bogle left.

He should easily be aiming for 20+ goals next season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
friskneymariner
July 21, 2017, 5:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Abdul19

Not if they are deep fried they are not.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
Grantley
July 21, 2017, 6:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Does all transfer money that comes in have to be re-spent on players? At clubs like ours, we should probably be investing in the infrastructure a bit more? Or even paying off some of those 'benign loans'.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
Balthazar Bullitt
July 21, 2017, 6:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
How many backroom staff have we signed this summer?

Linked up with the Tech on the fitness side of things

Invested in the pitches at Cheap side.

Got some lovely new dugouts.

And it will soon be announced that every season ticket holder will be getting a  silver drinks flask engraved with the club crest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
grimsby pete
July 21, 2017, 6:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Worried that we have not signed a striker for the No 9 shirt ?

Not me we have scored nearly 30 goals already,

I know some of the opposition have not been top notch,

BUT

You can only beat the team in front of you and one of them was from the championship.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
lukeo
July 21, 2017, 6:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,355
Gold Stars: 143
I think we have a decent squad. 17 or 18 players good enough for this level, good enough to take us up? I think it'll be down to attitude and team work. It's not always the most gifted and talented individuals that win the leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
Abdul19
July 21, 2017, 6:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Maringer

Provably [url=http://theasiancookshop.co.uk/dried-squid-3269-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7azThuOa1QIVh5PtCh2WKAuWEAQYAiABEgJRDfD_BwE]untrue[/url].

Ooh, I stand corrected (said the man in the orthopedic shoe)!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
grimsby pete
July 21, 2017, 6:29pm

Exile
Quoted from lukeo
I think we have a decent squad. 17 or 18 players good enough for this level, good enough to take us up? I think it'll be down to attitude and team work. It's not always the most gifted and talented individuals that win the leagues.

Slade will make sure we have a good work rate and organised,

So we will be near or in the play offs,

Even if we do not sign another striker but we will need a left back and another centre half.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
LongEatonMariner
July 21, 2017, 7:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Why do we need another Bogle when the club was criticised for having a quality goal scorer and playing to his strengths, which in turn meant over time we relied heavily on what he was brought into the team to do?

I'm not too fussed personally where the goals come from as long as we are at the business  end of the table.

As for spending the transfer profits, I think Slade wants to reduce the overall number to ensure a closer group where all are involved, and would rather that than 10 pros with long faces bringing the place down.

A left back, another centre back, and maybe anither striker. No panic , if we can't get there are still loans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
HertsGTFC
July 21, 2017, 8:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from grimsby pete

Slade will make sure we have a good work rate and organised,

So we will be near or in the play offs,

Even if we do not sign another striker but we will need a left back and another centre half.

Pete's not a million miles away IMHO if we get to the Jan window doing o.k.by being organised add a bit more talent then who knows ?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
Davec
July 21, 2017, 8:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Just heard on Radio Humberside that we are in negotiations with Paul Dixon but he does have offers from other clubs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
BottesfordMariner
July 21, 2017, 9:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Slade was very positive in his view of Dixon and it was clear he would like to sign him.
He may have other offers    but the fact he has spent the last couple of weeks  here must put Town in pole position.
Havnt seen him myself  but his pedigree is decent and the general consensus is he is a solid defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
H19P1
July 21, 2017, 10:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Would be decent signing if happens. I'm actually quite pleased and relaxed of how Slade is carrying out his business.

All good things comes to those who wait type attitude.

In Slade and Wilko we trust UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
louth_in_the_south
July 21, 2017, 10:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
The Bogle money was always only going to be used to keep the bank manager happy . That's the reality facing a L2 club . We're not going to start splashing out on players we can't afford and anyone who thinks we should , should donate their bank account to gtfc and see how they feel . Any big sales we make guarantees gtfcs future for a few more years and I'm happy with that .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
grimsby pete
July 21, 2017, 10:10pm

Exile
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The Bogle money was always only going to be used to keep the bank manager happy . That's the reality facing a L2 club . We're not going to start splashing out on players we can't afford and anyone who thinks we should , should donate their bank account to gtfc and see how they feel . Any big sales we make guarantees gtfcs future for a few more years and I'm happy with that .

Agree 100%

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
toontown
July 21, 2017, 11:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from moosey_club
Pretty sure we spent a chunk of the Bogle money during the transfer window on ....Jones, Osbourne, Clement, Yussuf, Gunning, didnt we? (Maybe even some more that arent immediately springing to mind)...also we have signed 6 players under RS....including Dembele and Cardwell who are attacking options, Cardwell looking promising so far regards replacing Bogles goals.

So ....no lack of signings in reality JB.

Maxwell's wages as well. More of the Bogle money was frittered away on wages for player's who didnt play (or who came in and the players they replaced didnt leave so we had to pay two sets of wages) than should have been the case that's for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
The_Laughing_Mariner
July 22, 2017, 5:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Is there a January window this season?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
Mrs Doyle
July 22, 2017, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Forget the million pounds it as long gone. Remember how we all praised Bignot for getting so many players in?? You don't do that with fresh air even just paying their wages. We had a big squad, too big that must have cost a fortune. Bigclot was high maintenance no doubt about that. Add to that the other costs of breaking contracts to get rid of staff everyday running costs and settling any existing debt payments you soon loose a million. No doubt this will be revealed in the clubs annual statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
Mrs Doyle
July 22, 2017, 7:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Do  you honestly believe we still have any of Boggles money left ????

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
lukeo
July 22, 2017, 7:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,355
Gold Stars: 143
Have a read of this, I'm not moaning or having a dig at gtfc but this is how clubs like ours should react to a sale of a top player. Be as open and honest as possible giving the fans an idea of what will happen with the money.  
https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk.....le-of-ollie-watkins/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
golfer
July 22, 2017, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Do  you honestly believe we still have any of Boggles money left ????

£100K to Solihull Moors-£100K to Gateshead -massive wage bill-don't think we got anywhere near a million-a lot of add-ons which haven't materialised-a lot extra spent on backroom staff-Slade given a limited budget-several players he wanted wouldn't accept "terms" offered.  = Bogle money nearly gone=done the best he can-late signings expected hopefully
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
HertsGTFC
July 22, 2017, 10:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from golfer

£100K to Solihull Moors-£100K to Gateshead -massive wage bill-don't think we got anywhere near a million-a lot of add-ons which haven't materialised-a lot extra spent on backroom staff-Slade given a limited budget-several players he wanted wouldn't accept "terms" offered.  = Bogle money nearly gone=done the best he can-late signings expected hopefully

They'll be some Bogle money left not loads but some, don't forget while we did have a big squad after January people where still coming to games and buying stuff in the shop etc...the club didn't stop taking money through the regular channels. I doubt we where taking less money than we where spending plus we would have got more TV income than the last 6 seasons not millions but a slice. If the balance sheet was less than last year I'd be amazed and we would have certainly been banging the season ticket drum louder.

Not sure what people expect really, in reality we are a small club in a relatively small Town. We finished around mid table last season after too long in non league. Gates last season where at time decent and other time disappointing and we had no bonus from TV cup run income too add to the coffers.

Yes we have a management team that is respected in the game but in essence we are like most teams at our level we sign players who have spent their careers in the lower leagues and hope they hit some decent form as part of a fit, organised and gelled team. Some do some don't if most do your i with a chance.

I actually believe that in reality there is no such thing as "a signing that makes the hair on the back of you neck stand up" at our level anymore as "well known" players don't tend to come down the divisions to play anymore as hey earn enough in the higher leagues.

Russ has done with what he has brought in o.k. and is clearly using evolution rather than revolution to move us forward which as was proved last season under Bignot has to be the way.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
moosey_club
July 22, 2017, 11:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from toontown

Maxwell's wages as well. More of the Bogle money was frittered away on wages for player's who didnt play (or who came in and the players they replaced didnt leave so we had to pay two sets of wages) than should have been the case that's for sure

Haha,,,i knew there was someone else ...cheers...

mind you i wish you hadnt reminded me now  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
Madeleymariner
July 22, 2017, 11:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Its interesting how it looks like Exeter have sold a few players for fees in the last few years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
newarkmariner
July 22, 2017, 12:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Pathetic thread by someone who clearly is bored and just decides that 6 decent signings and a handful of trialists in a team who are unbeaten in preseason and actually look good isn't good enough for him so kick-starts the doom and gloom brigade, jog on your boring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
mariner91
July 22, 2017, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
I'd be surprised if we didn't sign Karleigh Osborne who sounds decent from reports and is a bit of a beast which would compliment Collins and/or Clarke well. I'd also be surprised if we didn't sign at least one of Mustoe or Dixon so we'll get a left back. Would love to see Robinson signed as well for a bit more power and pace going forward but think that boat has sailed now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2017, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from newarkmariner
Pathetic thread by someone who clearly is bored and just decides that 6 decent signings and a handful of trialists in a team who are unbeaten in preseason and actually look good isn't good enough for him so kick-starts the doom and gloom brigade, jog on your boring.

If you actually read it and engaged a brain cell you would see I wasn't having a go  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
chaos33
July 22, 2017, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Not really worried at this point as it's hard to gauge where we are up to in terms of overall squad quality until there's a chance to make a comparison with other L2 rivals. I'd probably feel a bit more relaxed if we had at least one left back of good quality and at least one more centre back, plus a quality striker - as many have pointed out, but it's obviously a work in progress and there's every chance that the squad might contain 4 or 5 different players by the new year compared to that that which starts the season. Obviously, a poor start would provoke concern, but every reason to be optimistic of at least holding our own I think.

I'm generally more at ease with Slade in charge than I would be if it was Bignot, or even Hurst.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2017, 5:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

They'll be some Bogle money left not loads but some, don't forget while we did have a big squad after January people where still coming to games and buying stuff in the shop etc...the club didn't stop taking money through the regular channels. I doubt we where taking less money than we where spending plus we would have got more TV income than the last 6 seasons not millions but a slice. If the balance sheet was less than last year I'd be amazed and we would have certainly been banging the season ticket drum louder.

The accounts should be out soon. Will be interesting to see how much of a jump we've had from 2016.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
Garth
July 22, 2017, 5:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chaos33
Not really worried at this point as it's hard to gauge where we are up to in terms of overall squad quality until there's a chance to make a comparison with other L2 rivals. I'd probably feel a bit more relaxed if we had at least one left back of good quality and at least one more centre back, plus a quality striker - as many have pointed out, but it's obviously a work in progress and there's every chance that the squad might contain 4 or 5 different players by the new year compared to that that which starts the season. Obviously, a poor start would provoke concern, but every reason to be optimistic of at least holding our own I think.

I'm generally more at ease with Slade in charge than I would be if it was Bignot, or even Hurst.

Has this man found another club yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
arryarryarry
July 22, 2017, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from newarkmariner

We have no idea how good or decent they are until we have seen them play a few League 2 games.  
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
Garth
July 22, 2017, 6:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from arryarryarry

We have no idea how good or decent they are until we have seen them play a few League 2 games.  

Same go`s for all the other teams in League 2, pre season talk and results are just pie in the sky till the real stuff starts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
arryarryarry
July 22, 2017, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Garth

Same go`s for all the other teams in League 2, pre season talk and results are just pie in the sky till the real stuff starts

Exactly.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings (or lack of )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.