Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Signings (or lack of )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 317 Guests

Signings (or lack of )

This thread currently has 9,136 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
July 21, 2017, 10:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,540
Gold Stars: 94
The Bogle money was always only going to be used to keep the bank manager happy . That's the reality facing a L2 club . We're not going to start splashing out on players we can't afford and anyone who thinks we should , should donate their bank account to gtfc and see how they feel . Any big sales we make guarantees gtfcs future for a few more years and I'm happy with that .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
grimsby pete
July 21, 2017, 10:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The Bogle money was always only going to be used to keep the bank manager happy . That's the reality facing a L2 club . We're not going to start splashing out on players we can't afford and anyone who thinks we should , should donate their bank account to gtfc and see how they feel . Any big sales we make guarantees gtfcs future for a few more years and I'm happy with that .

Agree 100%

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
toontown
July 21, 2017, 11:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,158
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from moosey_club
Pretty sure we spent a chunk of the Bogle money during the transfer window on ....Jones, Osbourne, Clement, Yussuf, Gunning, didnt we? (Maybe even some more that arent immediately springing to mind)...also we have signed 6 players under RS....including Dembele and Cardwell who are attacking options, Cardwell looking promising so far regards replacing Bogles goals.

So ....no lack of signings in reality JB.

Maxwell's wages as well. More of the Bogle money was frittered away on wages for player's who didnt play (or who came in and the players they replaced didnt leave so we had to pay two sets of wages) than should have been the case that's for sure
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
The_Laughing_Mariner
July 22, 2017, 5:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
Is there a January window this season?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
Mrs Doyle
July 22, 2017, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Approval: +4,859
Forget the million pounds it as long gone. Remember how we all praised Bignot for getting so many players in?? You don't do that with fresh air even just paying their wages. We had a big squad, too big that must have cost a fortune. Bigclot was high maintenance no doubt about that. Add to that the other costs of breaking contracts to get rid of staff everyday running costs and settling any existing debt payments you soon loose a million. No doubt this will be revealed in the clubs annual statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
Mrs Doyle
July 22, 2017, 7:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Now before any one is thinking I'm having a go at the club by my thoughts here I'm not.

I'm just sat here thinking to myself about our summer transfer activity and how Russell Slade was bought in to take our recruitment and overall drive of the club forward or should I say the next level (John fentys words not mine ) but I cant help but think it's all been a bit of an anti climax or damp squid whatever you want to call it.

We sold Bogle for around a million quid and with the season week or so away we genuinely have no replacement bought in to replace our main striker, now I'm not saying we should blow cash on a player but what I am saying is genuinely were is our "striker" which will replace him ?

We made the management change to push out club forward and show ambition this season as again John fenty said on paper he wants a top end finish and he felt bignot was not going to deliver that , well hang on a minute selling Bogle and chancing your luck on trialists with days away from the start of the season is not exactly showing intent or supporting the manager with funds needed to deliver the finish fenty wants at the end of the season.

I'm genuinely not sure what to think ATM we have bought in a few young lads in on frees from clubs and taken a chance , we have some still on trial which is normal practice but were is this Bogle money or at least a part of it being invested in another bogle or to strengthen us for the present to really improve on last season.

I don't know if it's John not making money available for a player or if Russell hasn't found anyone but again the whole reason for the management change was to kick on but I can't help but feel a little short changed .

I am not having a go like I said but I really am struggling to see what we are really trying to do as getting some trialist here and hoping he has something is all well and good but come on let's face it we need some real quality and fast if we are going to get what the man himself said he wanted and that's a playoff finish.

Do  you honestly believe we still have any of Boggles money left ????

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
lukeo
July 22, 2017, 7:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,305
Gold Stars: 134
Have a read of this, I'm not moaning or having a dig at gtfc but this is how clubs like ours should react to a sale of a top player. Be as open and honest as possible giving the fans an idea of what will happen with the money.  
https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk.....le-of-ollie-watkins/
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
golfer
July 22, 2017, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Do  you honestly believe we still have any of Boggles money left ????

£100K to Solihull Moors-£100K to Gateshead -massive wage bill-don't think we got anywhere near a million-a lot of add-ons which haven't materialised-a lot extra spent on backroom staff-Slade given a limited budget-several players he wanted wouldn't accept "terms" offered.  = Bogle money nearly gone=done the best he can-late signings expected hopefully
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
HertsGTFC
July 22, 2017, 10:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,656
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from golfer

£100K to Solihull Moors-£100K to Gateshead -massive wage bill-don't think we got anywhere near a million-a lot of add-ons which haven't materialised-a lot extra spent on backroom staff-Slade given a limited budget-several players he wanted wouldn't accept "terms" offered.  = Bogle money nearly gone=done the best he can-late signings expected hopefully

They'll be some Bogle money left not loads but some, don't forget while we did have a big squad after January people where still coming to games and buying stuff in the shop etc...the club didn't stop taking money through the regular channels. I doubt we where taking less money than we where spending plus we would have got more TV income than the last 6 seasons not millions but a slice. If the balance sheet was less than last year I'd be amazed and we would have certainly been banging the season ticket drum louder.

Not sure what people expect really, in reality we are a small club in a relatively small Town. We finished around mid table last season after too long in non league. Gates last season where at time decent and other time disappointing and we had no bonus from TV cup run income too add to the coffers.

Yes we have a management team that is respected in the game but in essence we are like most teams at our level we sign players who have spent their careers in the lower leagues and hope they hit some decent form as part of a fit, organised and gelled team. Some do some don't if most do your i with a chance.

I actually believe that in reality there is no such thing as "a signing that makes the hair on the back of you neck stand up" at our level anymore as "well known" players don't tend to come down the divisions to play anymore as hey earn enough in the higher leagues.

Russ has done with what he has brought in o.k. and is clearly using evolution rather than revolution to move us forward which as was proved last season under Bignot has to be the way.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
moosey_club
July 22, 2017, 11:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,146
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from toontown

Maxwell's wages as well. More of the Bogle money was frittered away on wages for player's who didnt play (or who came in and the players they replaced didnt leave so we had to pay two sets of wages) than should have been the case that's for sure

Haha,,,i knew there was someone else ...cheers...

mind you i wish you hadnt reminded me now  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Signings (or lack of )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.