2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
July 22, 2017, 7:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Peter Swann ex of Hull/Port Vale I think, wrote a good one about his times in lower leagues and how he would engineer a move every couple of seasons so he could get signing on fees despite being totally crocked (even used a dodgy doctor to give him the injury all clear in one case IIRC)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
golfer
July 22, 2017, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from grimsby pete
Many years ago I read a book written by an ex Lincoln City player,

Sorry I can not remember his name or who the manager was at the time,

BUT

I do remember this    " he said the manager was really strict and the players had to obey his every instruction, one game they were playing away at a top team and he instructed them to keep it tight and play the safe ball all the time, after about 80 mins if it still was 0-0 then and only then should they go forward and try and score the winner,
Well as it happened after about 2 minutes the said player got the ball just inside his own half, he moved forward and the opponents just kept backing off, I nearly got to the penalty area without anybody making a challenge and with no one supporting me I thought I would have a shot,
Yes you guessed it I scored !!!!!!!!!
The boss went mad at me and at half time he shouted at me in full voice, why don't you ever do what I tell you and he then subbed me."

True story  

I read the same book Pete-didn't he get killed in a helicopter crash at the" Battle of Waterloo". I think there is a statue in remembrance on the concourse to the station.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Perkins
July 22, 2017, 6:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from 123614
I have just finished a book written by Harry Redknapp called Always Managing.  It's a very good read and gives you a glimpse as to what goes on at a Football club from the inside.  I recommend it to all Fishy members especially to see what can affect transfers and also see how one player can effectively run the dressing room, and not in a good way.  There are many interesting snippets that will open your eyes into the running of a club.  Go on, have a read!

I got it out from the library........it was crap.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
July 23, 2017, 9:49am
Guest User
That's your opinion!
Reply: 13 - 18
HertsGTFC
July 23, 2017, 10:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from 123614
I have just finished a book written by Harry Redknapp called Always Managing.  It's a very good read and gives you a glimpse as to what goes on at a Football club from the inside.  I recommend it to all Fishy members especially to see what can affect transfers and also see how one player can effectively run the dressing room, and not in a good way.  There are many interesting snippets that will open your eyes into the running of a club.  Go on, have a read!

I read an extensive piece in the paper written by a lady sports journalist who as well as other topics talked about the sexism she had encountered in the games whilst building her career. Though careful of any liable action she clearly sited Harry as one of the nastiest people she had ever had to deal with.

I have read a few sporting autobiographies and most of them are as dull as dish water and published as another way for a player and his agent to make some cash. The one that did stand out for me was the first Tony Adams book when he talks frankly about his alcoholism and the impact it has had on his career, life and family. Not your average retrospective  self serving career review but a fascinating insight into the loneliness of an addict.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
KingstonMariner
July 23, 2017, 10:58am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I read an extensive piece in the paper written by a lady sports journalist who as well as other topics talked about the sexism she had encountered in the games whilst building her career. Though careful of any liable action she clearly sited Harry as one of the nastiest people she had ever had to deal with.

I have read a few sporting autobiographies and most of them are as dull as dish water and published as another way for a player and his agent to make some cash. The one that did stand out for me was the first Tony Adams book when he talks frankly about his alcoholism and the impact it has had on his career, life and family. Not your average retrospective  self serving career review but a fascinating insight into the loneliness of an addict.

The Adams one was a good one.As you say, different from the run of the mill footballer's memoirs.

Whilst not Earth-shattering in any way, I enjoyed Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson (ex-Charlton) as a good view on life as a 'lower league' footballer (though a lot covers what is now the Championship). Helped by a few flattering references to Town  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
lee65
July 23, 2017, 1:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
I agree KM, "Left foot forward" is very good, but I guess too dated for some of our younger Fishy followers (I'm going to say "back in the day" when football WAS football in a minute  )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
KingstonMariner
July 23, 2017, 6:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from lee65
I agree KM, "Left foot forward" is very good, but I guess too dated for some of our younger Fishy followers (I'm going to say "back in the day" when football WAS football in a minute  )

Aye. Them were't' dairs.

Them young whippersnappers could learn a lot.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
hampshiremariner
July 23, 2017, 8:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
'Not all black and white" by Macca is not a literary masterpiece but it is very amusing in places and shows how hard it is to start out in football. Should be compulsory reading for kids who have stars in their eyes and think they are going to be professional footballers. It is a very tough, competitive world. Macca was a brilliant one club man and a true professional. Have often wondered why he is not still working for the club in some capacity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another Arry

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.