This thread currently has 7,390 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
wiggers
July 21, 2017, 9:03am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
The sad fact is that any decent youngsters are snapped up by the bigger clubs. How many young lads have town actually brought through in the last 10 years? I know funding has been a problem, maybe now we are back in the league the youth team may be able to keep hold or even attract some good youngsters. I really hope so. I think with the right coaches and approach it could be a great way to generate some money for the club. I think it's fair to say all town fans are desperate to see a young local lad make it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
July 21, 2017, 9:13am
Guest User
Quoted from wiggers
The sad fact is that any decent youngsters are snapped up by the bigger clubs. How many young lads have town actually brought through in the last 10 years? I know funding has been a problem, maybe now we are back in the league the youth team may be able to keep hold or even attract some good youngsters. I really hope so. I think with the right coaches and approach it could be a great way to generate some money for the club. I think it's fair to say all town fans are desperate to see a young local lad make it.

Has to come from the player though. Of course we would like to see a local lad come good. The club would too, because they stand to benefit massively from bringing through a great kid capable of going on to better things. Guys, we don't release these kids for no reason. We nurture the talent and give scholarships and initial contracts to those that look like they might have what it takes. Thereafter it is up to them to step up and demonstrate that they are going to make it in the world of professional football.

Last real homegrown player that we brought through the youth system, that made it as a pro for us, then profited from? John Oster

Reply: 21 - 24
Abdul19
July 21, 2017, 11:24am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd love to see our side full of Grimsby and Lincolnshire lads but that isn't possible because any decent talent is cherry picked for peanuts by the bigger clubs.

When was that last ever possible?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Abdul19
July 21, 2017, 11:25am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Surprised he made it through 3 managers and got a contract each time tbh...

Only one of them gave him a contract though? (or am I missing something)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
moosey_club
July 21, 2017, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Abdul19

Only one of them gave him a contract though? (or am I missing something)

Using facts as a basis of your argument are you ? Dirty tactics on here that.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Josh Venney

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.