3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
July 20, 2017, 6:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
He hasn't made it because like all our youth nowadays he wasn't given the opportunity
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Hagrid
July 20, 2017, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Quoted from Madeleymariner
He hasn't made it because like all our youth nowadays he wasn't given the opportunity

Rubbish. He's had 3 contracts to prove his worth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Mariner_09
July 20, 2017, 6:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
He always looked comfortable on the ball whenever he played (admittedly normally against poorer players in the FA Trophy or FA Cup Qualifying) but he was very diminutive and as Slade seems to want to be build an athletic and powerful side he just doesn't fit that mould sadly. I'd love to see our side full of Grimsby and Lincolnshire lads but that isn't possible because any decent talent is cherry picked for peanuts by the bigger clubs. There is a concerted effort in the upper hierarchy of football to destroy lower league football.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
TownSNAFU5
July 20, 2017, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
If he improves a lot, and some players develop later, then he can climb up the pyramid. Up to him to some degree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Madeleymariner
July 20, 2017, 6:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Hagrid

Rubbish. He's had 3 contracts to prove his worth.

The only way to know if he was good enough is a few games in a row in the first team, non of our youths seem to get this chance nowadays
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
moosey_club
July 20, 2017, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
has this actually been announced by the club?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Mighty_Mariner
July 21, 2017, 12:36am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I spoke to Ma few weeks ago and be mentioned he'd offered Josh a chance to go on trial to Alfreton should he not get a deal at Town so perhaps that's his most likely destination.

That would probably be his level for the time being but IMO has the talent to make that extra step up to the National League!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
Mallyner
July 21, 2017, 6:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
I warned him years ago about attending 'height watchers;' I said, "Your'e losing far too much at once son."

Being serious though as Mariner_09 said, Josh has looked comfortable on the ball when I have seen him play and he is a little athletic tiger, who puts in a real end to end shift and has good distribution..

I am sure if he sticks at it, he will make it somewhere as a footballer, perhaps as others say, Conference North or South level, but he does need a regular game to bring him on; and perhaps then he might play at a higher level.

Good luck Josh, I have enjoyed watching you play

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
gobby
July 21, 2017, 8:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Good luck to the lad.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
July 21, 2017, 8:43am
Guest User
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Sorry but that is a very narrow minded view.

Just because young players haven't featured much in the first team, it does not mean they haven't been given a chance. Look, football professional coaches and managers get to see these kids in training, week in and week out. It is arguable that the competitiveness of what happens in training, in order to force your way into the managers reckoning, is actually a higher pressure environment than being given the first team shirt and being sent out onto Blundell Park on a matchday. Because you are amongst a whole host of other youth players, scholars and senior pro's, all of whom are vying for places. Including your usual first eleven and the fringe players. So it is here that you have got to really put in the work and show what you have to offer. Not to mention that you also play reserve team football and are in the shop window there all of the time for the coaches and manager to see what you have in your locker.

That gives ample opportunity for coaches and the manager to recognise if a young kid is demonstrating what it takes to step up and make it as a full time senior pro. They don't get it wrong very often. There aren't that many that bad calls are made on, and there aren't many out there that have been let go, only to then go on to have glittering careers elsewhere.

Venney was given loads of support from the club, given a pro contract, based on showing some early potential. That was a great decision by the club, in order that this kid could be given his chance and that he didn't slip through the net. From there on, it was up to him to show the coaches what he has got. Clearly what he has simply wasn't enough. If it was then he would be still with us and pushing for first team selection.

Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.