3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
July 20, 2017, 11:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.30
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,296
Gold Stars: 33
Just sat reading the salaries of the BBC staff who earn above the £150,000 mark and if I find it astonishing how these people can justify earning this much money (John Humprys apart) who as admitted it's too much money he gets paid.

I understand there is a gulf in pay between female and male presenters but surely the point here is they're all paid too much,  I find it astonishing that Lineker has been gloating - I know who my twit of the week is going to be next week!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Maringer
July 20, 2017, 12:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,069
Gold Stars: 175
Aargh. Had a relatively detailed post ready to send which was eaten by my browser! Here's a quick precis:

The figures may seem high for a public sector organisation but bear in mind the BBC are competing with other private sector broadcasters and therefore need to pay the going rate.

Here's a good run down of some of the economic reasons for their bargaining power, so to speak:

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2017/07/the-economics-of-bbc-pay.html

If the BBC needs to pay the going rate for sports coverage, why should paying the market rate for their 'talent' be any different?

Of course, fundamentally, you'll hear a lot about this as it gives the Tories and their supporting press something else to bash the BBC with - you should never forget they would dearly love to privatise/sell of the Beeb because they are fundamentally opposed to the concept of an impartial public broadcaster and the right-wing media would love to get rid of a competitor.

No doubt that some of the gender pay inequality is very bad but this just mirrors the rest of our society to a certain degree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
scrumble
July 20, 2017, 1:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
For the most part I agree with Maringer, the people we're talking about aren't working a normal 9-5 job, and the money they earn is based on the viewers they'll bring in as they are the star attraction. But people like Gary Lineker doesn't fall into that category. In his case, as with most sports presenters, the sport is the show. Yes good commentary is a must, but he doesn't even do that.  Would Match of the Day viewer numbers be affected at all if you replaced Lineker with just about anyone else? Personally I watch it for the football, and usually fast foward through the collective drivel (although I do stop sometimes to see if I can spot Whittles handywork on Shearers face)

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
Maringer
July 20, 2017, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,069
Gold Stars: 175
The fact that Shearer's 'contributions' to punditry are considered to be worth £400k is pretty awful. Any occasion where he says anything interesting or insightful will be the first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
grimsby pete
July 20, 2017, 5:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
Everytime I see or hear bloody Chris Evans I switch him off,

£2.2 million they must be bonkers.

I know this might not be the view of some on here,

BUT

Its mine

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
KingstonMariner
July 20, 2017, 8:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It's the usual knee-jerk reaction to the publication of these salaries. Which other flipping broadcasters do this? None. What have they got to hide. Don't bash the Beeb, skin Sky.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
grimsby pete
July 20, 2017, 8:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
I think the harder you work the less you get paid,

Talk about somebody else doing their work and you get paid a fortune.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
moosey_club
July 20, 2017, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from grimsby pete
Everytime I see or hear bloody Chris Evans I switch him off,

£2.2 million they must be bonkers.

I know this might not be the view of some on here,

BUT

Its mine

you got my vote...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
LH
July 23, 2017, 10:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 167
If Radio 1 paid the wages Radio 2 did it might actually be listenable. I can't understand how annoying twits like Chris Evans and Steve Wright can be paid so much. Steve Wright in particular doesn't earn his wage. Approximately 60% of his programme is 90 second long jingles and flipping factoids. An opinion of himself  even higher than his ratings - the big show, my bottom.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
ginnywings
July 24, 2017, 1:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
Quoted from LH
If Radio 1 paid the wages Radio 2 did it might actually be listenable. I can't understand how annoying twits like Chris Evans and Steve Wright can be paid so much. Steve Wright in particular doesn't earn his wage. Approximately 60% of his programme is 90 second long jingles and flipping factoids. An opinion of himself  even higher than his ratings - the big show, my bottom.

I think all DJ's were the annoying twits at school that nobody liked. Of them all, Steve Wright is probably the most annoying and his flipping stupid died black hair looks atrocious. I hate most of them with a passion.They have no discernible talent and yet somehow think we are interested in what they get up to in their spare time. Once at work, someone had on Radio 1 and that anus Moyles talked incessantly for a good 10 minutes about what him and all his cronies got up to at the weekend. Just shut the intercourse up and play some music you fat twit. I put a hammer through the radio, which didn't belong to me and had to buy the owner a new one. It was worth it. Thank intercourse for internet radio and Spotify

There, that feels better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › BBC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.