7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
July 13, 2017, 4:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Was a bit like men v boys.. in fact that is what it was..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
mariner83
July 13, 2017, 4:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Were there many there?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
ginnywings
July 13, 2017, 4:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Pleasant stroll in the sun and an enjoyable game, if a tad one sided. Had to laugh at the sign outside BP Hotel saying home supporters only. Good amount in the ground, certainly more than for most reserve games. So....

Scunny were very young and inexperienced and one or two of them looked about 14 years old. Subsequently, our defence was totally untroubled, so it's hard to say much about Dixon. Not bothered at all defensively and not a lot to report going forward, but what he did do was tidy and he looks to be a steady Eddy with a decent cross in his locker. Mis-controlled a couple of opportunities but worth another look. Wilko had a long chat with him when he came of, so make of that what you will.

The Gowling lookalike was tall, elegant, languid and very economical. Did a lot of first time passes and sprayed some lovely balls out wide. Didn't try too hard and just coasted around the pitch. Could tell he has played at a higher level but there were 2 things about him i noticed. No left foot at all and played as many passes with the outside of his right foot as he did with the instep. He also got caught in possession more than once but that could be down to playing in leagues where thy get more time and space. If signed, could be anything from a revelation to a liability, perhaps in the same game.

Paul Jones didn't get long enough to do much of note, so can't say much about him. Other trialist Rollins looked quick and strong but again not a lot of time to assess.

Best trialist for me was Robinson. Quick, strong and tricky. Played right from one side to the other, put in some wicked crosses, one of which Yussuf scored from and rifled in a cracking goal too. Worth another look definitely for me.

Of the others, first time i've seen Demebele and Cardwell. The former is very quick with equally quick feet and surprisingly strong for his size. Cardwell a lot bigger than i imagined and looks a decent player. Scored a good goal but then fluffed a simple chance but i think he's also worth another look against stronger opposition. Bolarinwa was very disappointing, given the strength of the Scunny players and given his pace and power. Didn't do much at all. Summerfield neat and tidy but nothing more. Yussuf looks very fit, strong and athletic and to me looks improved on last season. Could be a useful player next year.

Right, need to get back in my workshop now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
July 13, 2017, 5:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from ginnywings

Right, need to get back in my workshop now.

Ace report that ginny, cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
promotion plaice
July 13, 2017, 5:15pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

The Boston v Town friendly at the Jakemans Stadium will now be the semi-final of the Lincolnshire FA County Senior Cup.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
promotion plaice
July 13, 2017, 5:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Civvy at last
[b][/b]

Didn't realise you played PP.  What number mate, I'll look out for you against Barnsley  

I'll be the one with the beer belly and pace that will astound you.........

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
mariner91
July 13, 2017, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,631
Gold Stars: 260
Robinson could be a useful player to have if he's decent and can cover wide areas as well as up top. A bit like Yussuf who sounds to have developed a bit since last season, maybe it'll be like having a new player because after his promising start he just disappeared. Fingers crossed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
grimsby pete
July 13, 2017, 5:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Thanks Ginny  great reporting.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
moosey_club
July 13, 2017, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings
Pleasant stroll in the sun and an enjoyable game, if a tad one sided. (Totally one sided   )

Scunny were very young and inexperienced and one or two of them looked about 14 years old. Subsequently, our defence was totally untroubled, so it's hard to say much about Dixon. Not bothered at all defensively and not a lot to report going forward, but what he did do was tidy and he looks to be a steady Eddy with a decent cross in his locker. Mis-controlled a couple of opportunities but worth another look. Wilko had a long chat with him when he came of, so make of that what you will.

The Gowling lookalike was tall, elegant, languid (The exact word i used myself ) and very economical. Did a lot of first time passes and sprayed some lovely balls out wide. Didn't try too hard and just coasted around the pitch. Could tell he has played at a higher level but there were 2 things about him i noticed. No left foot at all and played as many passes with the outside of his right foot as he did with the instep. He also got caught in possession more than once but that could be down to playing in leagues where thy get more time and space. If signed, could be anything from a revelation to a liability, perhaps in the same game.

Best trialist for me was Robinson. Quick, strong and tricky. Played right from one side to the other, put in some wicked crosses,( Pretty sure that was Tombola who skinned his man then crossed ) one of which Yussuf scored from and rifled in a cracking goal too. Worth another look definitely for me.

Of the others, first time i've seen Demebele and Cardwell. The former is very quick with equally quick feet and surprisingly strong for his size. (Personally also impressed with Dembele and completely agree)  Cardwell a lot bigger than i imagined and looks a decent player. Scored a good goal but then fluffed a simple chance but i think he's also worth another look against stronger opposition.

Bolarinwa was very disappointing, given the strength of the Scunny players and given his pace and power. Didn't do much at all.  Summerfield neat and tidy but nothing more. Yussuf looks very fit, strong and athletic and to me looks improved on last season. Could be a useful player next year. (Thought he hung onto the ball too much at times and poor awareness of others around at times)

Pretty much mirror your thoughts Ginny apart from comments above.  Seemed to be a 4-1-4-1 formation, with full backs progressing up giving width pushing the wingers even further up and the 1 in the middle sitting very deep shielding the two centre backs mostly.

Regards the trialist certainly cant offer anything to them on that, given the standard of opposition, Robinson worth another look for sure but Issah i wouldnt bother with, certainly had a good touch, good ability, very comfortable on the ball and never seem pressured but he wasnt dynamic, alot of his passes were either short and sideways or wide diagonals which although eyecatching were standard fare really when the wingers had so much space to run into, i think we already have players better suited to our League in the camp.
Dixon...got caught out a couple of times which is worrying given the young opposition but looked comfortable and assured in possession and decent delivery. Another look potentially but wouldnt be thinking only what if should he go elsewhere.

The winger from Boston started bright and looked purposeful but faded.

Left as the 4th goal went in as had to be back in the office so not sure about the rest.

Noticeable tactics.....just about every left sided corner was worked short with some success...the 4-1-4-1 allowed us to have Dembele, Bolarinwa and Yussuf supporting the attack, all seemingly license to interchange and linked up well.
We still cant take a decent throw in.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
lobsterpot
July 13, 2017, 6:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
I thought the Gowling clone was absolutly superb! Head and shoulders above what weve had trying to do the same job for yonks. And that Robinson fella had a brill 1st touch when backing into defenders with the ball to feet. Pretty sure if he lost posession once it never happened again. Sorry for being so positive on here but havent typed for a while as ive been banned off facebook for using the word ' chinky ' from 3 years ago! #bringbackzhang

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunny game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.