Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surprised?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 104 Guests

Surprised?

This thread currently has 6,490 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
July 9, 2017, 11:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I thought we may have seen a couple of more additions to the first team squad by now.
Some people were worried a month or 6 weeks ago but I was happy enough that we waited until most contracts expired at the end of June.
10 days later and still no left back nor someone to take the vacant number 9. Yes, still over 3 weeks to the big kick off but I hoped to have seen the new guys in, training and bonding with their team-mates.
I am sure RS wanted the same so is it proving harder than he expected or are we not offering enough by security or wages?

Hopefully my unease will be eased this time next week
Private Message
MuddyWaters
July 9, 2017, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Looks like we're missing out on targets, budget constraints?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
Mariner93er
July 9, 2017, 11:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
If imagine they've been setting their sights high, which can obviously lead to you struggling if you fail. But I imagine we have some loan moves targeted of younger players should we need it, such as Hart who has been mentioned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
July 9, 2017, 11:42am
Guest User
It's not necessarily budget constraints, could be that the players that RS wants don't want to come to Grimsby or they are also talking with other clubs.  Maybe thrashing out contract details takes longer than we think, or possibly the player wants to look at housing available before he makes a decision.  I can imagine there are quite a few reasons RS hasn't got his men yet, and yes, budget constraints could also be part of it, we are not a rich club and cannot be held to ransom over wages for a new player.
Reply: 3 - 24
mimma
July 9, 2017, 1:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
I think it's location that is the problem.

Past managers have always stated how difficult it is to get players to move here.

Don't think Blundell Park helps either when other suitors have modern well equipped stadiums.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Stew0_0
July 9, 2017, 1:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Guess as we are aiming higher for players. Chickson signed for a league one club and maynard scottish prem. Players may wait to sign for a club as high as possible to then sign for us later if nothing materialises. I still expect us to have our squad in place within the next fortnight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Stew0_0
July 9, 2017, 1:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Guess as we are aiming higher for players. Chickson signed for a league one club and maynard scottish prem. Players may wait to sign for a club as high as possible to then sign for us later if nothing materialises. I still expect us to have our squad in place within the next fortnight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
HertsGTFC
July 9, 2017, 2:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
I think RS is just waiting for players he thinks are good enough footballers to potentially take us up, have a good record with injuries, look after themselves properly  and also have the right attitude to add vale to the group. Not every player has all of those things but I'm sure available ones are out there and as time goes on maybe a bit more likely to sign for a club like ours.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
friskneymariner
July 9, 2017, 2:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
When I stated it was quite apparent that Slade had been knockbacked by his primary targets got slated on here,now the same people saying the same,hypocrites.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
friskneymariner
July 9, 2017, 2:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
By the Chicksen and Maynard were only 2.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surprised?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.