4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
July 9, 2017, 11:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Tbh I want an exciting season, get us close in or around the play offs. I'm not expecting promotion though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
Grimsby2012
July 10, 2017, 10:43am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
We've made a vast improvement on our attacking wingers and a what looks to be a good striker. We will have to see who else slade brings in on the Striker front, but we seriously need a good LB replacement and possible a younger CB to add a bit of youth in the wise.

If we get a decent LB, Young CB and a prolific striker. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't aim for playoffs, especially with how good our midfield and how exciting our wingers are!

I would love to see a 4-2-1-3 formation with 2 attacking wingers and a central striker. This will utilize the wingers and create/score more goals.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
MuddyWaters
July 10, 2017, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Grimsby2012
We've made a vast improvement on our attacking wingers and a what looks to be a good striker. We will have to see who else slade brings in on the Striker front, but we seriously need a good LB replacement and possible a younger CB to add a bit of youth in the wise.

If we get a decent LB, Young CB and a prolific striker. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't aim for playoffs, especially with how good our midfield and how exciting our wingers are!

I would love to see a 4-2-1-3 formation with 2 attacking wingers and a central striker. This will utilize the wingers and create/score more goals.

And probably concede several more!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
Mrs Doyle
July 10, 2017, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Won't be any tougher than last season we have had one full season back and despite the disruptions still never looked like struggling with more consistency  would have been in the play offs glass half full as always have faith UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Garth
July 10, 2017, 6:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Won't be any tougher than last season we have had one full season back and despite the disruptions still never looked like struggling with more consistency  would have been in the play offs glass half full as always have faith UTM.

Agree, we could not have had such a strange season, Hurst wanting away, Bignot made a couple of good signings but was out of his depth tactics wise and would have put us back in non league, lost our talisman goal scorer in Bogle, ticked over with Moore and then signed up the experienced Slade and Wilko,  and still after all that we were not a million miles from the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Mariner93er
July 10, 2017, 7:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I don't see why a 4231 couldn't be both attackingly and defensively sttong. You be got the 4 further up who can be allowed creative freedom, then 2 defensive midfielders who can help with the transition to attack. With a solid back 4, it could be effective. Interestingly, non of the promoted teams (correct me if I'm wrong) favoured a 442. I think we've got to look beyond that, league 2s moved on since it nearly worked for slade last time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
MuddyWaters
July 10, 2017, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
I don't see why a 4231 couldn't be both attackingly and defensively sttong. You be got the 4 further up who can be allowed creative freedom, then 2 defensive midfielders who can help with the transition to attack. With a solid back 4, it could be effective. Interestingly, non of the promoted teams (correct me if I'm wrong) favoured a 442. I think we've got to look beyond that, league 2s moved on since it nearly worked for slade last time.

He didn't say 4231 - he said 4213!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
MuddyWaters
July 10, 2017, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
For a start, I don't think McKeown is good enough for a side aspiring to get promoted and we don't have a proven goal scorer. There's also a plethora of midfielders to choose from and, other than McAllister, I don't see a regular starter amongst them.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
Kris2
July 10, 2017, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
It's not really that much of a worry at this point we'll still likely make a couple more signings and who knows what they could turn out to be. The problem last season seemed to be chaos, poor tactics and a lack of consistent performances more than the players themselves that we had. I don't think everyone we bought in was worthwhile but some have shown early signs that they could improve and given a full on pre season may be even better this season.

Even looking at Andrew who turned out to be a standout player last season, who was really all that excited when he signed? You never know how things will turn out.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
chaos33
July 10, 2017, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Codger, how on earth do you make that call on Mcallister? He played about 20 blinking minutes last season! You don't see Osborne as being good enough for a regular start?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Will be tough to make play offs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.