Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Nice training video for any budding graffiti artists:

[youtube]VkvBNhg50Qk[/youtube]

started watching but had to look away when they started misusing the step ladders       Danger never sleeps

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 101
lew chaterleys lover
July 6, 2017, 10:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from RichMariner

It's quite simple. We have a mural on the wall behind the Pontoon. The theme of this mural is diversity. It's not a 'legends' wall.

So, as you'd expect of a mural that celebrates diversity, it features the diverse range of people who have represented the Mariners.

Honestly, that's it.

If it was meant to be a legends wall, and it had Zhang Enhua on it, then you'd have a point.

But it's not a legends wall. It's not replacing a legends wall or trying to be a legends wall.

If you want a legends wall, or a wall to depict the trawlermen and fans, then I'm sure there's space for it somewhere in Blundell Park and the club would be delighted for you to get in touch and maybe help it happen. No one's telling you not to.

But why are we having a mural with diversity as its main theme? Why is that? Many people have contributed to the club over time, but what has diversity got to do with the history of the club? Have you ever heard anyone mention diversity in relation to GTFC prior to the mural? It is there because it is the politically correct thing to do, and I don't do political correctness.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 101
LH
July 6, 2017, 10:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
We should just clone thousands of whatever it is that the Fishy views as the 'Grimsby ideal' and never vary from that ever again.

Who knows how long we'd have been in the Conference without the multicultural team of Amond, Bogle, Arnold, Disley, Robertson etc.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 101
Kristine
July 6, 2017, 10:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from RichMariner

It's quite simple. We have a mural on the wall behind the Pontoon. The theme of this mural is diversity. It's not a 'legends' wall.

So, as you'd expect of a mural that celebrates diversity, it features the diverse range of people who have represented the Mariners.

Honestly, that's it.

If it was meant to be a legends wall, and it had Zhang Enhua on it, then you'd have a point.

But it's not a legends wall. It's not replacing a legends wall or trying to be a legends wall.

If you want a legends wall, or a wall to depict the trawlermen and fans, then I'm sure there's space for it somewhere in Blundell Park and the club would be delighted for you to get in touch and maybe help it happen. No one's telling you not to.

It may become a little clear for all once the Common Ground project is officially launched at the Mariners Trust open day but essentially this is it. It couldn't be anything else because the pot of money it came from was very specific in what would be done with it. Its not a stand alone thing but part of a larger project that GTSET and The Equality Practice are doing.

It's not about showing people's differences its about showing those on the outside that might want to come in that when you get your shirt on there is no difference.  #OneLoveOneClub and all that.

As the wall has been so fantastically received shoots sprout on other things but money has to be in place for them and rightly or wrongly its not on the clubs lists of priorities.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 101
lew chaterleys lover
July 6, 2017, 10:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from LH
We should just clone thousands of whatever it is that the Fishy views as the 'Grimsby ideal' and never vary from that ever again.

Who knows how long we'd have been in the Conference without the multicultural team of Amond, Bogle, Arnold, Disley, Robertson etc.

They were Grimsby Town footballers. Thats it. No other labels necessary. We might have a team of 11 Englishmen, we might have 11 different nationalities but I never give it a moments thought. Who does?
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 101
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2017, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Been there, done it. It's not multicultural, it's integrated. Largely because there is no single dominant incoming culture. The same used to be true of Tiger Bay, East Ham etc.

The difference is that in the 70s councils in West Yorks etc, set up situations for non-integration. Printing all documents in Urdu for instance. They encouraged the setting up of community councils dominated by religious leaders and more recently allowed the truly divisive expansion of faith schools which were effectively for the "one true faith".

I'm only saying this to show some people on here that there isn't anything simplistic about the issue and that the promotion of diversity is incredibly old fashioned and is proved to fail. I am amazed that,some younger people fall for this three card trick from decades ago and think it actually works and is a good thing. Integration is what matters. Togetherness as one society not trying to amalgamate different societies in the same geography.

I completely agree. It seems round where I live if you're not a committed Anglican or Catholic your kids can't get in half the schools.

Apart from that RRFC, you've completely got it wrong. 'Diversity' isn't about promoting isolation of different types of people but bringing them together. What you've been describing (in other posts) is the provision of support by local authorities to immigrant communities. That might have led to slower integration but it was't the aim. In many cases it was a result of the natural tendency of people to seek out others like themselves in a strange land. And the equally other natural tendency of the poorest people to end up in housing that others found substandard.

As for 'diversity' encouraging communities to support terrorism, I've heard some bunkum in my time. Most of the Jihadist loonies who have committed terrorist acts in this country have had westernised upbringings and have been to our universities having been through our school system. They were all fluent and native standard English speakers, not folk who struggled speaking anything but Urdu or Bengali. And that's before we get on to converts who came from distinctly non-Asian backgrounds. Mostly people with criminal histories. Murderous nutters like Levi Bellfield who have recently converted, and he grew up in what was then a white British working class neighbourhood.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 101
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2017, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Why don't all those people moaning about not having a legends mural stop moaning about what others have done and get off their arses and actually do one themselves? Seems they're happy to whinge it seems but not actually do anything positive.

As for Grim74 offering to 'meet' people down the Avenue. Well that just shows what's never far from the surface with the extreme right.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 101
LongEatonMariner
July 6, 2017, 10:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Crikey compare this thread to the comments on the article below. There are plenty of tolerant, caring, inclusive people around. I just think most of them don't do fish(y) until Friday.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/a-statement-from-cyclingnews-contributor-philippa-york/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 101
mariner91
July 6, 2017, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Grim74

Here we go   the go to weapon of choice from a pathetic PC liberal who has no argument, I'm no racist you keyboard warrior fool but if you want to debate me over even say that to my face I will be down St. Peter's Ave shortly.

Edit: I see you have now altered your post😆

[youtube]1ESHXxInoAs[/youtube]

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 101
Theimperialcoroner
July 7, 2017, 2:29am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
I think Rich and Kristine have pretty much closed this debate.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.