11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
July 6, 2017, 5:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
This thread is incredible. I honestly didn't think anyone would find anything negative in something as awesome as that mural.

It's prompted people to talk about tokenism, racism and division when the whole purpose of it was to show that we all have something in common - regardless of where we come from and what we look like.

It's nothing deeper than that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 80 - 101
GYinScuntland
July 6, 2017, 5:44pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
There's always some snidey mural at the back,  behind it's mates giving it large and trying to stir up trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 101
Theimperialcoroner
July 6, 2017, 7:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
The mural is a fine effort and I'm sure there will be further additions of a legends type.
As for all the shite on here about not wanting to promote diversity, as Nuttall has shown, those ideas are a busted flush, the sooner we all learn to love and celebrate what makes us all different, the sooner we can move forward.
Peace out

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 101
fleabag1970
July 6, 2017, 7:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
My original post had nothing to do with diversity . Love . Caring etc etc . It was my honest opinion that I didn't understand why a picture of a player from the days that ultimately led to our demise and almost extinsion .....

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 101
fleabag1970
July 6, 2017, 7:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Was in bp

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 101
lew chaterleys lover
July 6, 2017, 8:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
I dislike the promotion of multiculturalism and diversity, they are by definition socially and culturally divisive. The more we see diversity promoted the more divided we become. A mural dedicated to GTFC showing the integration of important people connected with the club past and present, regardless of age, race, creed etc. is a good thing. A mural deliberately designed to show diversity, i.e. celebrating racial differences, is a political statement the club should have no part in.

I have just read this thread and absolutely agree with Ron. Tokenism again just for the sake of it. I am absolutely sick to death of it. A mural should have been devoted to the generations of trawlermen and other fantastic fans that supported the club over many generations, and great players who wore the striped shirt with distinction and club officials who made the biggest impact. And that's it.

How come since we started pushing "diversity is a good thing" down peoples throats we have become more divided?
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 101
codcheeky
July 6, 2017, 9:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
And we wonder why Grimsby is a town going nowhere, some of the comments on here are beyond parody
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 101
lew chaterleys lover
July 6, 2017, 9:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from codcheeky
And we wonder why Grimsby is a town going nowhere, some of the comments on here are beyond parody

Including yours, sadly. Diversity doesn't seem to extend to having a different view on a forum, does it?
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 101
moosey_club
July 6, 2017, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from codcheeky

if only they were beyond parody ......we could have avoided that Sacha Baron Cohen film Grimsby !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 101
RichMariner
July 6, 2017, 9:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204

I have just read this thread and absolutely agree with Ron. Tokenism again just for the sake of it. I am absolutely sick to death of it. A mural should have been devoted to the generations of trawlermen and other fantastic fans that supported the club over many generations, and great players who wore the striped shirt with distinction and club officials who made the biggest impact. And that's it.

How come since we started pushing "diversity is a good thing" down peoples throats we have become more divided?

It's quite simple. We have a mural on the wall behind the Pontoon. The theme of this mural is diversity. It's not a 'legends' wall.

So, as you'd expect of a mural that celebrates diversity, it features the diverse range of people who have represented the Mariners.

Honestly, that's it.

If it was meant to be a legends wall, and it had Zhang Enhua on it, then you'd have a point.

But it's not a legends wall. It's not replacing a legends wall or trying to be a legends wall.

If you want a legends wall, or a wall to depict the trawlermen and fans, then I'm sure there's space for it somewhere in Blundell Park and the club would be delighted for you to get in touch and maybe help it happen. No one's telling you not to.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 89 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The mural

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.