Reply: 40 - 60
GtfcGarner
July 7, 2017, 12:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
Held talks with Slade but can't really deny possible Europa League football albeit that the Scottish league is shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
Abdul19
July 7, 2017, 12:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Fair enough. Averaged crowds just over 12500 last season (and came 2nd) so it's clearly a step up from signing for Motherwell or Kilmarnock or whoever.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
diehardmariner
July 7, 2017, 12:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Vernon is fine as a hold up man, he just needs mobile players in and around him.  My concern with him as a lone striker is that if the support is lacking, he's totally isolated and doesn't have the pace or movement to go at it alone.

Yussuf looks to have bulked up a bit over the summer months and would be worth a go in that role.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
ginnywings
July 7, 2017, 1:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
As I recall, he wasn't your archetypal 'target man' and didn't win too many up and unders against big defenders. However, he certainly challenged well in the air and, given the right ball, could land his headers on a sixpence. I remember a couple of great headed goals where he headed it at the back post, looping it over the keeper into the far corner. One against Lincoln, I seem to think? Or am I just imagining that?

I think for all the talk of a target man and a physical presence up front, it would be nice if there weren't too many hit and hope whacks upfield, especially with the ball players we now have in midfield.

I'd agree with that. He was a very intelligent player and if he did manage to get his head to the ball before the defender, he used it well, but he was't the type of target man that would dominate a centre back in the air. I also hope we don't just have a lump it up type style of play and seem to remember Slade favouring the diagonal ball to the corners and the team getting up the pitch rapidly, putting defenders under pressure. The quick break from back to front was also prevalent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
Stew0_0
July 7, 2017, 1:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Mariner_09
Maynard signs for Aberdeen so forget that one

With this news, do we expect Tyler Walker to sign in the next couple of days?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
oldun
July 7, 2017, 1:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It is a bit of a tricky situation with us already having Vernon, Yussuf and Asante on the books with of course Jones too.I did no go last night but was there on Tuesday and Cardwell looked to have something about him. Won some headers, ball control decent and took his goal really well. Probably not up to speed fitness wise but looks better than a few we have had. Hope Slade gives him a full pre-season to see how he shapes up. If he gets over his injury ok, Asante will be like a new signing in Sept.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
Hagrid
July 7, 2017, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Stew0_0

With this news, do we expect Tyler Walker to sign in the next couple of days?

i do not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
Theimperialcoroner
July 7, 2017, 1:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Maringer
An athletic target man, perhaps? An LJL-alike?

Big, strong and able to run isn't a bad combination all told, providing they can play a bit as well.

Or hit a cows bottom with a banjo?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
Maringer
July 7, 2017, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Or hit a cows bottom with a banjo?

Oh, I think I'd be happy to sign a striker whose shooting was so wayward that he managed to score 20 in a season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.