7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
July 7, 2017, 9:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
It wasn't Hurst that signed him though, he inherited him and obviously didn't want him. Ebanks-Blake had a couple of prolific seasons for Wolves and hasn't really done a whole lot since he left them, so whether he still has that goalscoring touch is debatable. He's no target man either, so is he really what we are looking for?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
Mariner93er
July 7, 2017, 10:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Are we looking for a target man? I though slade wanted someone athletic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
Maringer
July 7, 2017, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
An athletic target man, perhaps? An LJL-alike?

Big, strong and able to run isn't a bad combination all told, providing they can play a bit as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
ginnywings
July 7, 2017, 10:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
I don't think we have a natural target man at the club but then i don't know if that is the way Slade wants to go. The guy on trial looks a big unit, certainly a lot bigger than Ebanks-Blake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
Mariner93er
July 7, 2017, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Well when asked about Maynard or walker, he said he was looking for strikers in that mould. So I think a striker who mainly has good movement to stretch defences. I doubt we'll play the same as we did the last time slade was here as it doesn't suit the team with the likes of jones, Osbourne and dembele. I think we're likely to see a sort of 4231 with a fast tempo to feet. Certainly, if we do play like that, a Osbourne, jones, dembele line up looks exciting as a 3 behind a good striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
Mariner_09
July 7, 2017, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I think Vernon's a good target man, if you watch some of his better games towards the end of last season you can see he's a very clever footballer who occupies defenders. He's not great in the air but will hold it up well.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
Garth
July 7, 2017, 10:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from ginnywings
It wasn't Hurst that signed him though, he inherited him and obviously didn't want him. Ebanks-Blake had a couple of prolific seasons for Wolves and hasn't really done a whole lot since he left them, so whether he still has that goalscoring touch is debatable. He's no target man either, so is he really what we are looking for?

I think it all came to a head at the players Christmas bonding session when he was involved in a fracas with another player who apparently came off worse, think we could do better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
ginnywings
July 7, 2017, 11:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Garth

I think it all came to a head at the players Christmas bonding session when he was involved in a fracas with another player who apparently came off worse, think we could do better.

Didn't know that so looked it up and the other player involved ended up with 15 stitches. Also noticed that he was involved in another fracas at a nightclub once. Seems a bit of a firebrand.

As for Vernon, i like him as a player and i would say he is more of a hold up type forward than a target man, as he is not really that good aerially. As stated, i have no idea how Slade wants to play but last time we had Jones and Reddy. Jones was a very good hold up player but if memory serves me, also not brilliant in the air either. Will be interesting to see what we go with in the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
Garth
July 7, 2017, 11:36am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Jones (Lump) was more than Ok in the air and won most of his aerial battles
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
Maringer
July 7, 2017, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
As I recall, he wasn't your archetypal 'target man' and didn't win too many up and unders against big defenders. However, he certainly challenged well in the air and, given the right ball, could land his headers on a sixpence. I remember a couple of great headed goals where he headed it at the back post, looping it over the keeper into the far corner. One against Lincoln, I seem to think? Or am I just imagining that?

I think for all the talk of a target man and a physical presence up front, it would be nice if there weren't too many hit and hope whacks upfield, especially with the ball players we now have in midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.