tintowner
June 27, 2017, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
....and we lose on penalties

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
June 27, 2017, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,841
Gold Stars: 42
Outplayed but showed great spirit to hang on.  Nothing different then.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Freemoash88
June 27, 2017, 8:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Well a semi final and winning a tournament has set the bar. Now for the overpaid seniors to do there part.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
HackneyHaddock
June 27, 2017, 9:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I think we have great young players, but the problem has tended to be their next stage of development.  

I hope that if these players don't find they're able to get into a Premier League team, they go abroad to try to develop in Portugal, Spain, France or the Netherlands.  The Premier League isn't the be all and end all and there are opportunities out there if players can put their development ahead of money.  I'm not optimistic sadly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
promotion plaice
June 27, 2017, 9:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,993
Gold Stars: 193

As a young child I vaguely remember the celebrations after winning the World Cup in 66. We've had a couple of near misses since then to win a major tournament to be fair

But.....  

In recent years we seem to have gone backwards, so I have come to accept that the England senior squad won't win a major tournament while a have a hole in my @rse.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
mimma
June 27, 2017, 11:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
Before the game started, they showed both teams and how many prem league, and bundesliga games the players have played.

Needless to say the German players had played far more games than the English.

There lies the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
HackneyHaddock
June 27, 2017, 11:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mimma
Before the game started, they showed both teams and how many prem league, and bundesliga games the players have played.

Needless to say the German players had played far more games than the English.

There lies the problem.

Nailed it.  But how many of our team would get a game in the Bundesliga, or Serie A, or the Eredevisie, or Le Championnat?  

I don't know how much of this is that they're not good enough, technically, for the top European Leagues, how much of it is that they're just not emotionally intelligent enough to cope with leaving the UK, and how much is that they're only bothered about the money so don't much care about technical and career development.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Posh Harry
June 28, 2017, 6:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

Nailed it.  But how many of our team would get a game in the Bundesliga, or Serie A, or the Eredevisie, or Le Championnat?  

I don't know how much of this is that they're not good enough, technically, for the top European Leagues, how much of it is that they're just not emotionally intelligent enough to cope with leaving the UK, and how much is that they're only bothered about the money so don't much care about technical and career development.  

Tammy Abraham is a case in point here. Earns £45k a week at chelski. His club want him loaned out so that he can get regular first team football and just want his wages covering (I say just but it is a disgusting amount of money as it is). A number of teams were interested including Swansea (were he has now gone), Newcastle and Brighton (I have a contact there). His agent insisted that his wages for this loan period went up to £60k per week and that there was a signing on fee (nothing to do with Chelsea). This is thought to be up to £1million of which the player and agent would have split the majority. This is why Brighton pulled out of the race to sign him. Agents are greedy f8ckers who are only interested in one thing, but the player also has to take some responsibility and unfortunately it seems a lot of them are just interested in the money.

Whatever happened to jumpers for goalposts and having a dream of just playing football for a living. Very sad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England u21 v Germany u21

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.