June 28, 2017, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from arryarryarry

We haven't left yet.

So why the claim that economists who noted that leaving the EU would cost us dearly have been proven wrong?

We're poorer already due to the weakening of the pound and that's long before we even leave. The figures recently released showed that first quarter growth was lower in the UK than in every one of the other 27 EU member states. That's not coincidence.

We're screwwwwed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
arryarryarry
June 28, 2017, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

So why the claim that economists who noted that leaving the EU would cost us dearly have been proven wrong?

We're poorer already due to the weakening of the pound and that's long before we even leave. The figures recently released showed that first quarter growth was lower in the UK than in every one of the other 27 EU member states. That's not coincidence.

We're screwwwwed.

Where did I mention anything about economists, I was referring to that twit Osborne who said the economy would collapse and he would have to have a penalty budget if we voted leave.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
Maringer
June 28, 2017, 10:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Ah, well. Osborne was always an incompetent twit of the highest order so I'm not quite sure why anybody would take anything that he said seriously.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
kamakazebear
June 28, 2017, 10:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +465
Andrea Leadsom for saying the press should shut up and present everything that comes out of Brexit as the best possible outcome for Britain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
totalidiot
June 28, 2017, 11:34am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +341
It seems a shame this thread has turned into political debate and slanging match,could maybe understand it when the election is on but it's now over...the thread use to be lighthearted and maybe even amusing,what the hell is happening to all you people
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
barralad
June 28, 2017, 11:39am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from TAGG

You don't need a crystal ball to see that when the undemocratic, unelected authority of the top bureaucrats in Europe is chalanged they go to their default setting of bullying as they did with Greece.

You may well be better informed than me but the details I've seen on various news bulletins is of the elected representatives of the 27 countries who currently remain in the E.U. debating what their approach should be to their side of the negotiations. Surely even the most ardent of supporters of Brexit must have realised that the rest of Europe is going to want to represent what they believe to be their best interests (whether we agree with their definition or not) and being faced with 27 countries who broadly want the same thing was never going to be easy. I may be doing you a big disservice but you seem to be implying that the top of the E.U. act entirely independently of their member countries. Within the last couple of months the French have elected a staunchly pro-E.U. president and even allowing for the fact that for some French voters it was anyone but Le Pen you would have to think that his views will represent the views of a majority of his countrymen in the same way that a majority voted to leave the E.U. in this country. There have been several important elections in E.U. member countries since 23 June 2016 and the predicted surge towards nationalism hasn't come through (although Austria was very close). There is no real movement in Europe of ordinary people to leave the E.U. 27 countries "ganging up" on the poor old U.K. does look like bullying but let's be clear they didn't ask for the confrontation. For what it's worth I suspect that there will be a concerted effort to project a united front on their side because unity is strength. Me and you clashed several times on here during the Referendum debate but although I voted to Remain I accept the "will of the people" as a confirmed democrat. The negotiations will be incredibly long and tough, with as it should be each side in the argument putting forward their case in the most forceful way possible. Bullying doesn't and shouldn't come into it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
barralad
June 28, 2017, 11:43am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from totalidiot
It seems a shame this thread has turned into political debate and slanging match,could maybe understand it when the election is on but it's now over...the thread use to be lighthearted and maybe even amusing,what the hell is happening to all you people

You are entitled to your view but clearly there are more than a few members of the Fishy who think that being on the verge of the most momentous changes since the end of WW2 is worthy of debate. I agree with you about the slanging match aspect though. No need for it. Politeness and open-mindedness should really be a given.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
totalidiot
June 28, 2017, 12:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +341
And that is a fair reply barralad,howeveri would still say the twit of the week thread was never set up for political tug of war between supporters of each political party....could a new thread be set up in non footy for those who want to debate politics?....it does seem that many posters have been put off posting on this thread due to it being hijacked for politics,as you say i am entitled to my opinion as are you and everyone else
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
GYinScuntland
June 28, 2017, 12:22pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Changed my nomination.
TOTW hijackers who over analyse every single political comment.
Fcuk right off to non footy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
barralad
June 28, 2017, 1:04pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from totalidiot
And that is a fair reply barralad,howeveri would still say the twit of the week thread was never set up for political tug of war between supporters of each political party....could a new thread be set up in non footy for those who want to debate politics?....it does seem that many posters have been put off posting on this thread due to it being hijacked for politics,as you say i am entitled to my opinion as are you and everyone else

Oh I agree that it was never set up for that but then you could say all politicians are twits so it would seem an obvious place to go. Football is political...safe standing/policing of away matches/T.V. coverage etc. etc. but I take the point.  

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive twit of the Week

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.