4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
June 12, 2017, 9:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
I'm still not convinced they'll do that well. I see too many parallels with the Cheltenham team who were also incredibly well organised and had a helmet up from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
Chrisblor
June 12, 2017, 11:44am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Mariner93er
I'm still not convinced they'll do that well. I see too many parallels with the Cheltenham team who were also incredibly well organised and had a helmet up from.

Cheltenham weren't minted from cup runs and massive season ticket sales though. Lincoln's attitude towards season ticket sales (get them on sale early to take advantage of momentum) is exactly what we should have done last season, but sadly we haven't got anyone with an ounce of marketing awareness working at the club.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 12, 2017, 12:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mariner93er

If I remember rightly we were having a laugh on here about Cheltenham's poor start and putting it down to a failure to beef up the team with some signings. But like Chrisblor says they had no money. By the time they started doing some strengthening it was nearly too late.

I don't think Lincoln will be like that. They will get some points through sheer fitness, promotion adrenalin and hard work. We will probably see some replacements as well, especially if they get good cash for Raggett. Top of the wanted list will be a younger version of Rhead.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
MarinersOnTheUp
June 12, 2017, 4:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
I always see people I here saying theyre obsessed with us but with all due respect we regularly have long threads about them on here.

Couldn't care less about them.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
rancido
June 12, 2017, 7:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jock dock tower

We've never played in the "Championship" though. Before big money took over we had plenty of experience in the same dividsion when it was called Division Two, and actually meant what it said.

If you read the post you will note I said " Championship Level " ie the same level as the Championship, as it is now called. Maybe I should have written " second tier of English Football" to avoid confusion. How we played at that level is not the point I was making, regardless of experience. But I still think I am right in saying that when we played in the " old Division 2 " we didn't sell 5,000 season tickets.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
June 12, 2017, 7:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Not bothered about lincoln but thinking about this on our side im getting wound up now, what takes us so long, season ticket renewals should be starting as soon as we know what division we're in, sales as soon as possible after, what takes so long, they dont have to print the books straight away, get it done!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
Bignic69
June 12, 2017, 8:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Hertsmariner
Expectations from their fans will be 'sky-high', to say the least. With cash resources most teams at this level can only dream about, and a managerial pair who obviously have their feet firmly on the ground, I would expect them to be in the top 7 or thereabouts. But as we know, soccer is a funny old game, and fans are fickle should performances 'sag'. In this respect, It is possible that some of their players, having expended so much effort in their cup and league efforts, will simply crash and burn this season as some at Leicester did in 2016-2017. Should Raggett leave, much of their aerial threat at corners may depart too. Also, with retrospective penalties for simulation being imposed next season, Rhead could be in for a turbulent year. Interesting times at Sincil bank nevertheless.

not sure Leicester crashed and burned, more like they were found out and the shock element was no longer there. Will be the same with Lincoln, they wont be able to continue with the same tactic and be equally successful, they need to evolve and change/adjust slightly.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
grimsby pete
June 12, 2017, 8:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I am not sure we have ever sold 5,000 ST,

BUT

I can remember when Lincoln Scunny and Town were playing in the championship level which was then called division 2  

We all had some great derby games with gates between 10,000 and 16,000.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Barrattstander
June 12, 2017, 9:34pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from grimsby pete

I can remember when Lincoln Scunny and Town were playing in the championship level which was then called division 2  .

Showing your age Pete, Town, City and United have only ever all been in the 2nd tier for one season: 1958-59.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
Mariner93er
June 12, 2017, 9:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
But haven't the Cowleys said they intend to keep most the team, so you can have all the money you want, but if you don't spend it it can't help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Imps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.