This thread currently has 9,423 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
June 11, 2017, 9:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Over 5000 season tickets sold . All the money from last season ......I will be happy if town finish over them next season cause I'm guessing that will mean we win the league

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
June 11, 2017, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
They haven't signed anyone yet though, yes they held their own against one off games in the cup against better sides but over a 46 game season, I'm not sure their side is good enough to compete at the top end.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
Maringer
June 11, 2017, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Depends, really. I'd say that it was an unusually strong division last season with Portsmouth, Plymouth and Donny much bigger than the usual clubs at this level. Could perhaps be a bit weaker this season as those coming down aren't that 'big' but perhaps for Coventry though they've got all sorts of other problems at the moment.

I expect you'd have to say that Mansfield are the team to beat, considering the amount of cash they are obviously splashing around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
The_Chief
June 11, 2017, 10:41am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
They will find, just as Cheltenham did last season in League 2, that they're going to need a bit more quality to do well in this league.  Without much quality you can only get so far by being well organised and pumping it forward to a lump upfront.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
moosey_club
June 11, 2017, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Lincoln were very well organised last season, a clear system in open play, pressed the opposition very quickly, got the ball wide, sling it in to the back stick towards Rhead and score.
They are a little less direct than traditionally but they still had a long throw and set piece threat aerially.  We were up and around the right end of the table last season despite never really having a settled system in place.
I imagine their system wont change much and organisational wise knowing what you are doing is a great starting point.
So much of their game did evolve around Rhead though, anything happens to him and they might faulter.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
headingly_mariner
June 11, 2017, 11:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
That's an unbelievable effort. It's shows what you can do with a following wind, they had possibly the best season they will ever have, but got their tickets out early and picked up on the positivity. It really teaches our club a bit of a lesson, ours had only just gone on sale this time last season and the buzz was dampened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
Mariner_09
June 11, 2017, 11:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
If we'd have put ours on sale earlier and been cleverer about how we sold them, more incentives, people putting season ticket booklets through all doors in Grimsby and Cleethorpes, people standing on street corners and on the sea front on sunny days and made a bigger effort to retain Toto, Podge and Nath (which I'm sure we could have done had Hurst really wanted to) then we could have easily put another 1000 on I'm sure, not convinced we'd have reached 5000 though.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
Hertsmariner
June 11, 2017, 11:38am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Expectations from their fans will be 'sky-high', to say the least. With cash resources most teams at this level can only dream about, and a managerial pair who obviously have their feet firmly on the ground, I would expect them to be in the top 7 or thereabouts. But as we know, soccer is a funny old game, and fans are fickle should performances 'sag'. In this respect, It is possible that some of their players, having expended so much effort in their cup and league efforts, will simply crash and burn this season as some at Leicester did in 2016-2017. Should Raggett leave, much of their aerial threat at corners may depart too. Also, with retrospective penalties for simulation being imposed next season, Rhead could be in for a turbulent year. Interesting times at Sincil bank nevertheless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
grimsby pete
June 11, 2017, 11:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Most of the 5,000 are fair weather fans, where have they been for the last 50 years ?

Half of them will not even turn up if Lincoln are playing shite and losing most games.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
Kris2
June 11, 2017, 12:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from grimsby pete
Most of the 5,000 are fair weather fans, where have they been for the last 50 years ?

Half of them will not even turn up if Lincoln are playing shite and losing most games.

Al football fans are fickle including our own, when we are in crap form nobody wants to sit in the cold for months at a time watching a excrement show so they don't bother showing up. Difference is we have less people willing to commit to a season ticket in general.

Jealousy is not a good look especially being jealous of Lincoln of all things. Where is all the bravado of last season talking about how we are a "big club" and Lincoln are a tinpot outfit that will never get out of that league never mind win it?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Imps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.