Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 30 years on....a wee GTFC quiz.
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 318 Guests

30 years on....a wee GTFC quiz.

This thread currently has 1,651 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
June 10, 2017, 1:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
By 1982-3 Grimsby had become an established 2nd Division club (now the Championship) having finished a very respectable 7th in their 1st season 1980-1, before suffering second season syndrome in 1981-2, before an amazing goalscoring run of 11 goals in 14 games - from the classiest ever player I have been lucky to see at BP, Trevor Whymark - took us to 17th and safety.

All these answers can be found in the Complete History of Grimsby Town by my lod mate Sid Woodhead, along with Les Triggs and David Hepton, but try it first without reference to it and see how you fare.

1. Which team provided Grimsby with their first game of the season, and a big clue here, they proceded to wreck Meggies on the Friday night and Saturday?

2. The above game was drawn before Town went on an amazing run of 6 consecutive wins, and go top of the table, before losing heavily to which club?

3. Typical Town, they only won 3 of their next 15 games to plummet down towards the bottom of the table. Which club did they beat on January 3rd at BP to stop the rot? This run  saw us win 3 games out of the next 6, before forgetting how to win in the last 14 games!

4. During the above bleak spell, Town scored just 5 games, and only one of those was away from home. Who socred it, and against whom did he score?

5. We played the same team in three different competitions that season, in the FA Cup, League Cup, and the League Trophy. Who?

6. Top league goalscorer with 17 goals was Kevin Drinkell. Who was next highest with 8?

7. Only two players made 40 appearances this season. Joe Waters was one, who was the other?

8. Batch made 38 appearances in goal, who kept for the other 4 games?

9. Despite Whymark's amazing goalscoring feat the previous season, he only netted once in 27 appearances this time around. Against whom did he core his only goal?

10. Town's main defence, numbers 1 to 6, played together for 13 games, and would have been many more but for the odd injury here and there. Name that. defence

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
tintowner
June 10, 2017, 2:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from jock dock tower
By 1982-3 Grimsby had become an established 2nd Division club (now the Championship) having finished a very respectable 7th in their 1st season 1980-1, before suffering second season syndrome in 1981-2, before an amazing goalscoring run of 11 goals in 14 games - from the classiest ever player I have been lucky to see at BP, Trevor Whymark - took us to 17th and safety.

All these answers can be found in the Complete History of Grimsby Town by my lod mate Sid Woodhead, along with Les Triggs and David Hepton, but try it first without reference to it and see how you fare.

1. Which team provided Grimsby with their first game of the season, and a big clue here, they proceded to wreck Meggies on the Friday night and Saturday?  

Leeds

2. The above game was drawn before Town went on an amazing run of 6 consecutive wins, and go top of the table, before losing heavily to which club?

Chelsea (a game I was at)

3. Typical Town, they only won 3 of their next 15 games to plummet down towards the bottom of the table. Which club did they beat on January 3rd at BP to stop the rot? This run  saw us win 3 games out of the next 6, before forgetting how to win in the last 14 games!

Cardiff or Carlisle....not sure.

4. During the above bleak spell, Town scored just 5 games, and only one of those was away from home. Who socred it, and against whom did he score?

Bobby Cumming...again not sure.

5. We played the same team in three different competitions that season, in the FA Cup, League Cup, and the League Trophy. Who?

the Scunts.

6. Top league goalscorer with 17 goals was Kevin Drinkell. Who was next highest with 8?

Bobby Cumming.

7. Only two players made 40 appearances this season. Joe Waters was one, who was the other?

Nigel Batch I would have thought.

8. Batch made 38 appearances in goal, who kept for the other 4 games?

Ooops....not Nigel for the above (Joe Waters then)....this question....Pete Grotier

9. Despite Whymark's amazing goalscoring feat the previous season, he only netted once in 27 appearances this time around. Against whom did he core his only goal?

Palace

10. Town's main defence, numbers 1 to 6, played together for 13 games, and would have been many more but for the odd injury here and there. Name that. defence

Batch, Dave Moore, Kev Moore, Dean Crombie, Joe Waters, Neil Cooper.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
jock dock tower
June 10, 2017, 3:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
5 out of 10 mate, not bad. Six if you hadn't have prevaricated in one the questions!

We still need answers for question numbers 3,4,6,7 and 9.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
grimsby pete
June 10, 2017, 6:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Did you mean 35 years on John ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
jock dock tower
June 10, 2017, 9:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
errrr, yes, by the looks of things Pete!

That's the problem with living in a parallel universe up here in Scotland.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
promotion plaice
June 10, 2017, 10:03pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,997
Gold Stars: 193

Total guess......Tony Ford

Again total guess......Kev Moore

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
jock dock tower
June 11, 2017, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
The missing answers as follows:-

3. Typical Town, they only won 3 of their next 15 games to plummet down towards the bottom of the table. Which club did they beat on January 3rd at BP to stop the rot? This run  saw us win 3 games out of the next 6, before forgetting how to win in the last 14 games! [b][/b]CARLISLE
4. During the above bleak spell, Town scored just 5 games, and only one of those was away from home. Who socred it, and against whom did he score? Drinkell in a 1-1 draw away at Burnley

6. Top league goalscorer with 17 goals was Kevin Drinkell. Who was next highest with 8? Joe Waters

7. Only two players made 40 appearances this season. Joe Waters was one, who was the other? Phil Bonnyman

9. Despite Whymark's amazing goalscoring feat the previous season, he only netted once in 27 appearances this time around. Against whom did he core his only goal? Barnsley in a 2-1 home defeat

Logged     Online
Private Message     

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 30 years on....a wee GTFC quiz.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.