Southwark Mariner
June 8, 2017, 11:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co......boost-for-efl-clubs/

Turns out that the EFL were offering payments for clubs that played English Under 21s last season. A MASSIVE £750,000 shared between the three leagues. Doubt we earned much from that scheme. I can only think of Dyson who might have qualified.

What I don't understand is why Cardiff and Newport are rewarded for playing Welsh under 21s. Seems a bit silly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
psgmariner
June 8, 2017, 11:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Trying to think how may English under 21s played for us last season....

Henderson, Dyson any more?

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Southwark Mariner
June 8, 2017, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Forgot about Henderson!

Luke Maxwell played the Portsmouth game in March
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
Mariner_09
June 8, 2017, 11:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Maxwell, what a waste of a signing.

Did Comley qualify?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
psgmariner
June 8, 2017, 12:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Comley represents Montserrat so wouldn't count I think.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Maringer
June 8, 2017, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
What I don't quite understand, is why is it the Football League (none of this 'EFL' balderdash for me) paying this money?

The Under-21 teams come under the remit of the Football Association (and the FAW) so surely they should be the ones providing such 'incentives'. No doubt the actual situation is that the Premier League have scraped a few more crumbs off the table and told their man Harvey to pretend the Football League wants to 'reward' clubs for playing some of their youngsters.

Many of these youngsters would be rewarded even more by playing regular competitive football if the Premier League clubs didn't hoover so many of them up at a young age, taking them away from the League clubs where they would traditionally have learned their trade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
ginnywings
June 8, 2017, 1:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Something else to have poor clubs dancing to Harvey's tune. £750,000 is an insult compared to the massive rises just given to the Prem. Fook him off and fook him off now, before he gets too entrenched. I don't care what anyone says about his intentions, there is an end game here and he is slowly but surely reeling in the lower league clubs. Odious fooker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
diehardmariner
June 8, 2017, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Maringer
What I don't quite understand, is why is it the Football League (none of this 'EFL' balderdash for me) paying this money?

I would guess that it's because Lizardman Harvey is doing everything he can to cosy up to the FA in the hope of getting a big job with them in the future.  He thinks that his schemes to encourage youth development (as rubbish are they) will showcase him as a man who can lead England into a bright new future.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bribing clubs to play English Under 21s

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.