2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MARINERSMAN22
June 7, 2017, 9:03am
Wembley 2K15 Centre Box <3
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: -395
I've seen both play at one time or another. What's the difference though? I don't really know if ones more defensive etc. Could you shed some light on who you'd want on loan, if either?

Wembley2K15 Centre Box

Logged Offline
Private Message
Stew0_0
June 7, 2017, 9:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Berrett is more creative (barely), Summerfield runs around like a headless chicken. Cant see either getting close to the first team as Clements, Osbourne, Rose and McAllister all ahead of them IMO. Clifton will probably go out on 6 month/ Season loan. Unfortunately don't think Venney will make it past pre-season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
jimgtfc
June 7, 2017, 9:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Completely different players in my opinion.

Summerfield likes to be an all action central midfielder who wins challenges and sprays the ball about. He's got a decent engine on him and he can do the box to box role well enough. His downfall is his decision making. When he gives the ball away he does it in style and it has lead to goals being conceded.

Berrett is more of a utility player for me. A bit of a poor mans James Milner. He can do a job anywhere across the midfield or we've seen him play behind the striker. He's not blessed with pace or trickery, but he holds the ball well, gives it simple and has good positional sense helping the team retain shape.

I'd not be averse to either player being part of our squad next season as I don't think either player is anywhere near as bad as people make out. But if we want to be progressing towards a promotion team then maybe we need better.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Hagrid
June 7, 2017, 9:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
both town players currently so both should get our support, i dont think either are as bad as some like to say but likewise maybe not good enough to propel us up the leagues. But if slade could get them playing differently who knows?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Tommy
June 7, 2017, 9:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Spot on summary jimgtfc

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
golfer
June 7, 2017, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Summerfield any day for me. Quite like the guy-as long as he keeps his appointments at Specsavers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Maringer
June 7, 2017, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think, of the two, I'd prefer to have Summerfield in the team (though ideally neither of them). Berrett has some ability on the ball but is incredibly, woefully weak and would probably be muscled off the ball if he was trying to take it off a ballboy.

Summerfield gets around the pitch and challenges quite well and is generally OK but, as mentioned by others, is prone to giving away possession sloppily at least once a game. When he does this he seems to have a knack of really putting the opposition into a goalscoring position - if his attacking passes were as creative he'd be a Premier League player!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Codswede
June 7, 2017, 10:47am

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
JimGTFC has got it spot on, I would add that both have a tendency to hide when we're up against it, which is when you absolutely need your central midfielders to step up. On the ball and when we're generally playing well, both of them have shown they can play, but that's a bit of a luxury we can't afford.

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Mariner_09
June 7, 2017, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
For me they are different types of players, and would have both been useful squad players if we didn't have 18 midfielders to choose from. Summerfield in an all action style midfielder, really good some weeks, totally woeful on others. He's got everything in the locker, he can tackle, spray short and long passes, he's got a good engine, can get a goal but he's got a clanger in there as well. Gave away a terrible goal against Crewe and Hartlepool but was absolutely excellent at Plymouth, Bolton and at home to Stevenage.

Berrett is a tidy midfield player, can play clever balls and he has got a couple of goals when he's played as well. Isn't a great tackler but I thought he did well when shunted out wide by Bignot and Hurst. Can be anonymous but ordinarily keeps the play ticking over, again could be a good squad player.

Both very much "Hurst-style" midfielders. They both do a job defensively and aren't particularly flair players or athletic.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
MuddyWaters
June 7, 2017, 2:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Mariner_09

Both very much "Hurst-style" midfielders. They both do a job defensively and aren't particularly flair players or athletic.

Really? When both played after McAllister was injured, our midfield looked very weak defensively. What's telling to me is that Berrett looked decent in the games he played at the end of the season whilst Summerfield was rarely starting in the league below.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
Posh Harry
June 7, 2017, 3:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Mariner_09
For me they are different types of players, and would have both been useful squad players if we didn't have 18 midfielders to choose from. Summerfield in an all action style midfielder, really good some weeks, totally woeful on others. He's got everything in the locker, he can tackle, spray short and long passes, he's got a good engine, can get a goal but he's got a clanger in there as well. Gave away a terrible goal against Crewe and Hartlepool but was absolutely excellent at Plymouth, Bolton and at home to Stevenage.

Berrett is a tidy midfield player, can play clever balls and he has got a couple of goals when he's played as well. Isn't a great tackler but I thought he did well when shunted out wide by Bignot and Hurst. Can be anonymous but ordinarily keeps the play ticking over, again could be a good squad player.

I think describing Berrett as not being a great tackler is one of the biggest understatements I have ever heard. His performance out wide away to Doncaster was probably one the the weakest i have seen by a town player in my 37 years of supporting GTFC.

Saying that, I didn't get to many games under Newell, and Woods - thankfully!

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
1mickylyons
June 8, 2017, 12:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,257
Gold Stars: 54
I thought the much maligned Summerfield was far better than given credit for by many fans especially when I saw what played in the side after he left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
oldun
June 10, 2017, 12:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Summerfield is a hard working midfielder with pretty good energy. Gets about the pitch well, wins the ball but his passing can go from excellent to horrible. He likes a shot from distance and could score a screamer or put it out the ground. On the other hand Berrett is about the opposite. Tidy on the ball but weak off it. Needs time to pick a pass can get into goal scoring areas and has scored a few. Of the two, if I had to choose I would go with the hard work and team contribution of Summerfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Theimperialcoroner
June 11, 2017, 5:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,087
Gold Stars: 93
Both are just shirt fillers. If we aspire to anything, neither should be near the first team.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Berrett v Summerfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.