RonMariner
June 6, 2017, 7:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from sam gy
Don't recall Tony Adams/Martin Keown/Steve Bould being blessed with pace. If you're good enough, you're good enough.

Sounds like he'd be a quality addition.

Bobby Moore was no sprinter either, but no one ever seemed to do him for pace.......remember the first yard is in the mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
Mariner_09
June 6, 2017, 7:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Superdan147
Most obvious signing we was going to make this. I think this is the reason why Pearson was kept waiting. From what I've gathered a very similar player to Shaun albeit a higher quality player. Spent most of his career in league one and been rated everywhere. Very happy with this. Hoping we can sign Adam chicksen at left back then 1 quick, younger centre half too

Is there any knowledge in Chicksen or purely wishful thinking?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 7:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Young men and ladies
Don't ever dismiss experience over youth.

Nathan Clarke will be good for GTFC

I am just off to finish my half-marathon before bed. Ilkleymariner, aged less than 80, but over 33.

They're called Snickers now, you old codger.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
MuddyWaters
June 6, 2017, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings

They're called Snickers now, you old codger.  

Oi - don't bring me into it!  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Bigdog
June 6, 2017, 7:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
You don't really need to be rapid as a defender if you know your angles and when to stay and when to go. The better quality defenders are obviously better at this and you rarely saw Collins get the runaround last season. Of course pace helps, but usually to correct mistakes. Defenders that rely on their pace will come unstuck far more than defenders that know their angles and how to limit attackers space.

I agree with you to a point Ginny re angles but there's no harm in RS finding us a CH that knows his angles and has pace too. You can coach angles and decisions into players but you can't coach pace. The games moved on a bit where the slowest players on the pitch aren't necessarily centre halves nowadays.  I think we got found out far too many times by quick average forwards last year and also not being sharp enough defensively over the first five yards. How many free kicks did we give away because we were just too slow to the ball?

Pace does matter all around the pitch. If we get Clarke I still think there'll be a younger quicker CH to come in to develop and play when needed against certain opposition.. Well at least I hope there will be!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 8:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Bigdog

I agree with you to a point Ginny re angles but there's no harm in RS finding us a CH that knows his angles and has pace too. You can coach angles and decisions into players but you can't coach pace. The games moved on a bit where the slowest players on the pitch aren't necessarily centre halves nowadays.  I think we got found out far too many times by quick average forwards last year and also not being sharp enough defensively over the first five yards. How many free kicks did we give away because we were just too slow to the ball?

Pace does matter all around the pitch. If we get Clarke I still think there'll be a younger quicker CH to come in to develop and play when needed against certain opposition.. Well at least I hope there will be!

Yeah, good points. I think players that have played at a higher level and drop down the leagues don't need as much pace as players with less skill, because they are just that much better positionally and less prone to error.

Nothing  wrong with a couple of quicker players for certain circumstances though i will admit. All about the blend isn't it.

Besides, Clarke may well be quick. 33 isn't ancient as some would believe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
jamesgtfc
June 6, 2017, 8:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
I anticipate us playing a lot deeper with intelligent defenders who can play a long aimed ball as opposed to a hoof. This should allow us to hit teams on the break with the pace further upfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 8:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I anticipate us playing a lot deeper with intelligent defenders who can play a long aimed ball as opposed to a hoof. This should allow us to hit teams on the break with the pace further upfield.

Think this is how Slade likes to play, certainly in League 2 anyway, if his last stint is anything to go by, which is why slightly slower defenders with more footballing nous doesn't concern me too much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
Mariner_09
June 6, 2017, 8:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I would also note that of the top strikers we saw last season (Marquis, Collins, Hylton, Wyke, Godden) none of those were especially quick. Omar was quite quick and as was that Watkins at Exeter but I can't remember thinking DC or SP were done for pace by anybody and neither of those are at all quick.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 8:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Oi - don't bring me into it!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nathan Clarke

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.