This thread currently has 6,218 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
June 5, 2017, 4:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I am normally a glass half full person, but at the moment I just cannot get myself into a positive frame of mind about the coming season. I am not seeing "guaranteed" top end of the league players on the books. A lot with potential and 2 or 3 seasoned pros.Some contracted players who did not do it for us last season. I am struggling to see a style of play or formation forming despite having plenty of "bodies in the building". I see a lot of experimenting again, no stability which is likely to lead to inconsistency.I am as keen as anyone for Slade to succeed but I don't see it at present and am a bit underwhelmed with the players we now have, Don't worry I am not suicidal but could do with a dose of optimism. All help will be appreciated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner93er
June 5, 2017, 4:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
I think it's been a bit of a boring transfer window, with few rumours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
mariner83
June 5, 2017, 4:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
At least you don't support 'ull?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Mariner_09
June 5, 2017, 4:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I think that Slade will prioritise getting the team solid and hard to beat. We may have kept quite a lot of clean sheets last season but when we conceded that was it, we fell 2 or 3 behind. If we could get in at 1-0 in these games then there'd be half a chance we could sneak a result. Barnet, Cheltenham, Hartlepool, Crewe, Colchester, Exeter are all examples of this. This is purely a mentality thing, we could clearly defend but we didn't have the confidence to come from behind or keep a score down.

The defence won't be weaker, I never thought Andrew was a great defender, he was a fantastic attacker and great athlete but did get caught out of position and play the odd terrible ball too often. He did improve throughout the season though, probably because he was playing for the first time in years. Slade needs a defensive minded left back and a good, athletic partner for Collins then we can allow Osborne, Jones, Dembele etc to express themselves going forward and not worry too much about defending.

I am optimistic, there is clearly an awful lot of talent in the squad but the majority needed to get to grips with League 2 football and everyone needed to have a manager who could clearly present a cohesive and understandable plan. With all that added together we'll have a really good side IMO.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
June 5, 2017, 4:38pm
Guest User
I'm still staggered we allowed Shaun Pearson to leave while we have re-signed two 36 year olds.

Dembele hasn't ever played a league game so us unknown really. Rose? I work in Mansfield and have heard very average reports about him, but we'll give him a go. The winger from relegated Port Vale? Again, we'll give him a go.

I'm ready for a break from football, Town in particular. Last season was largely a yawnfest, no real chance of promotion under that clown Bignot, never in danger either. We do have some good players, Osborne, Jones in particular (fair one, credit to Bignot there) so there is some sort of base.

I think Slade will get us sorted, but I wonder how much ambition there really is to win promotion, it's only div 4, are we waiting on the new ground?
Reply: 4 - 33
moosey_club
June 5, 2017, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,208
Gold Stars: 224
Oldun...you should know by now ,if your alter ego is a reflection of your status that is, we could have the most exciting of transfer windows on paper and look like absolute dog shite once the friendlies start....or the polar opposite....i am confident that RS will however try and have a side that is hard working & organised ala Hurst but also one that will give us some off your seats counter attacking style play.
A good sign to me is , despite us already having a myriad of other central midfielders on the books, RS has bought in the one type that Hurst/Bignot failed to include in the form of Rose, who hopefully will live upto his box to box tag. He has also brought in some actual wide players which again were largely lacking under Hurst and almost extinct after Bignot's axe wielding.

Some early shoots of hope for me, i also think that RS may also have a bit of wheeler dealing to do late pre season/ mid August as that is when those that he has inherited will really discover that they do not fall under his favour and will maybe want to ship themselves out to try elsewhere rather than languish. I would expect RS to have targets in mind that he will maybe have to wait until the first deadline day to officially approach.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
ginnywings
June 5, 2017, 4:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
It's early June...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Mrs Doyle
June 5, 2017, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Feeling a bit underwhelmed myself but it is early yet,players are on holidays so maybe things will start to move in a week or two. We do seem lumbered with one or two sub standard players though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
MeanwoodMariner
June 5, 2017, 5:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
The bookies have us 18th favourites to win the league so they aren't particularly optimistic either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 5, 2017, 5:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We all feel a bit underwhelmed at the minute I think.

Perhaps this is because 2017 follows on from the euphoria of being back in the league last year and being in the middle of OP the previous pre-season.

One thing I am sure about is that RS & PW will not be letting the grass grow under their size 11s while we are sitting around twiddling our collective keyboards waiting for news.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Help me

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.