Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any news on a new striker??????
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 206 Guests

Any news on a new striker??????

This thread currently has 22,044 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 3:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from monkeyboy
Shouldnt we also be trying to bring through youth? fed up with lets bring in attitude that has seen little success, bout time we brought our own talent through and actually give them some games.

I'm sure we'd all like to see young players come through, but if they are not good enough, they are not good enough. If we filled the team with young lads for the sake of it, then we'd be another Orient. Fans would soon start complaining that we were doing stuff on the cheap. How many local lads have made a career in the football league lately, whether on our books or someone else's?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 83
Stew0_0
June 6, 2017, 3:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
I think Akheem Rose has the potential to step up to the first team. We should have him involved with the majority of the pre-season friendlies to see how he's progressing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 83
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 4:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Stew0_0
I think Akheem Rose has the potential to step up to the first team. We should have him involved with the majority of the pre-season friendlies to see how he's progressing

I hope so and i hope Woods can do for us what he did for Walsall but it takes time and investment; something we didn't have for 6 years in non league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 83
Quagmire
June 6, 2017, 6:14pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm sure we'd all like to see young players come through, but if they are not good enough, they are not good enough.

Do we give these lads enough chances/game time to show that they are good enough though?

Last pre-season, in general, the players who received the most plaudits were the 3 youngsters, and then all were subsequently not given any game time when the season started and farmed out on loan  

I'm not sure what the answer is but we seem to spend a significant sum of money on bringing youth players through and rarely see any return on that investment.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 83
ginnywings
June 6, 2017, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Quagmire

Do we give these lads enough chances/game time to show that they are good enough though?

Last pre-season, in general, the players who received the most plaudits were the 3 youngsters, and then all were subsequently not given any game time when the season started and farmed out on loan  

I'm not sure what the answer is but we seem to spend a significant sum of money on bringing youth players through and rarely see any return on that investment.    

Unless they are exceptional, then probably not. Managers are reluctant to risk youngsters with their job on the line, unless they are expressly encouraged to do so. Some clubs have to play the youth to survive financially and some of those will exceed expectations, but given the choice, most managers will sign tried and trusted pro's. Most youth players of most clubs get released and either drift out of the game, or drop down the leagues to prove themselves and work their way back up again- Dayle Southwell being a good example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 83
headingly_mariner
June 6, 2017, 8:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I wouldn't be surprised if Slade is in for David Mooney who was at Southend. I have no inside knowledge though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 83
Mariner_09
June 6, 2017, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Yep, could see that. He was at Orient with Slade, looked a decent player in the play offs for them  3 years ago. Big and strong target man.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 83
Maringer
June 6, 2017, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
If he's a striker called Mooney, sign him up now, if for no other reason that he'll probably score against us if we don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 83
Stew0_0
June 6, 2017, 10:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Hope we are in for mooney. Excellent video on youtube of his 50 goals for orient. Looks very handy with his head and both feet. Worked with Slade before so who knows??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 83
HertsGTFC
June 7, 2017, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
I don't expect to see many youngsters involved in the early part of the season but that may change as time goes on. Personally I have not seen enough of them but would assume the lads that went out on loan will be better for the experience. Saw Rose in a couple of things thought he looked ok but had a fair amount of growing and bulking up to do.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any news on a new striker??????

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.