3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris2
May 29, 2017, 3:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
I think in the right formation he can still play a decent game, RB really seems like his position and when played elsewhere has looked exposed since he's lacking in pace. With a winger in front of him though he did well in those games, can cross the ball well and is a decent reader of the game just tidying things up at the back and getting the defence out of trouble. If he can be used right and he stays injury free I think he'll do fine.

I guess some would argue he's not worth offering a new deal and maybe we could find better but we'll just see how it goes.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
cjbill
May 29, 2017, 3:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
After the loss of Pearson and the inevitable loss of Andrew, it is good to see someone wanting to accept the new contract and remain following last season. Not likely to be a starter over Mills but a good renweal nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing what this "busy week" will potentially bring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
oldun
May 29, 2017, 4:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I guess if he had have left we would have been hard pressed to find a better back up for Mills, so happy to go with this. Actually I don't have any option Slade calls the shots. Good to keep a bit of experience about the place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
rancido
May 29, 2017, 5:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,518
Gold Stars: 96
If he is going to be used as a back-up and mentor to Mills then fair enough but if he is the basis for a defence that is going to challenge for promotion then I am a little concerned.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
fleabag1970
May 29, 2017, 5:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
In that last game against Plymouth he was outstanding . As a right back he can walk it at this level. Just don't make him play wing back . Even sat in front of the back 4 would be a good position

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Madeleymariner
May 29, 2017, 5:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from jimgtfc
Still a class act at this level. Bignot completely exposed him when he played him wing back, together with injury and Zak Mills' good form it was a frustrating season for him. But playing in a structured set up he'll be an asset, vastly experienced and got a great set piece on him too. Based on no knowledge whatsoever I'd imagine he was maybe offered reduced terms, so a good move all round.

Ne wasn't a wing back for his terrible performances at the Barnet game (and was awful playing as right midfielder at Cheltenham) will have to see what he does next season but hope Mills stays fit and we have a couple of right wingers available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
headingly_mariner
May 29, 2017, 6:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Good player, good competition between him and mills.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
HertsGTFC
May 29, 2017, 6:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,891
Gold Stars: 225
Good "squad" signing!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
ginnywings
May 29, 2017, 6:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 548
Good solid signing of a good solid experienced pro. The type of player that every team needs 2 or 3 of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Superdan147
May 29, 2017, 6:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Good news this.thats right back sorted and central midfield for me. Davies has excellent experience, and will provide great competition for mills. Davies looked great against Plymouth and I agree that in a flat back 4 he's decent. Badly exposed under bignots 'plan' and injurys didn't help. Could be used off the bench in the middle of the park to calm things down a little so good flexibility Also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ben davies

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.