4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 27, 2017, 2:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I just thought how fascinating that what used to be the biggest day in the football calendar didn't even have a thread on the Fishy. Has it really gone downhill so much?

There were some cracking games in the earlier rounds and a fair bit of interest generated by the giant killers but to be honest I won't be watching at 5.30 pm this year. There's about as much interest for a British neutral in the final as seeing Juventus Reserves play Athletico Madrid Reserves in a friendly.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Mariner93er
May 27, 2017, 2:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,666
Gold Stars: 28
Can't say I watch much, if any, of the football from the top clubs. The highest I'll watch is championship, as you get some good games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
IlkleyMariner
May 27, 2017, 2:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,879
Gold Stars: 66
I was thinking the same thing. Don't know why they call it the English Premier League. (I realise its the English Cup Final, but same thing) Mostly foreign owned, mostly foreign players, mostly foreign managers, mostly foreign viewers.

Think I'll watch highlights of carpet bowls instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Les Brechin
May 27, 2017, 2:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,633
Gold Stars: 168
Used to be an all day thing in the past. Unfortunately, all been killed now.

Used to be the only live game on TV (bar internationals). You had Cup Final Question of Sport, reports from the players hotels, the journey to the ground etc etc. At least this season they've waited until the season has finished.

One season not too long ago the final was played before the end of the season and there were even Premiership games played on the same day.

The FA Cup was on the decline for quite a while and as soon as they started playing the semi-finals at Wembley that just killed the magic completely.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
Grimbiggs
May 27, 2017, 2:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Lack of interest amongst neutrals, is the fact that theres that much football shown on TV that apathy prevails. Those under 30 probably won't realise how little football was shown on telly. For me when i was younger it was a family event, it use to be great seeing relatives, that you only use to see a couple of times a year, gathering together in font of the telly, great commentators, Motty/Moore. I know times have changed, and i will probably still watch it live, but i can't say i'm that fussed about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
ginnywings
May 27, 2017, 2:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
Used to love it, now i don't. I'm going to the cider festival instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
Gaffer58
May 27, 2017, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,032
Gold Stars: 31
More interested in tomorrow's game, Blackpool v Exeter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
lee65
May 27, 2017, 2:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,442
Gold Stars: 8
Cup Final Swap Shop, and Cup Final "it's a knockout" as part of the day long event.  I used to cycle to a relatives who had a colour telly in the 70's  

The following week was usually then the Home Internationals, and that was it for live footy (Unless it was a World Cup year)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
jimgtfc
May 27, 2017, 3:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +4,973
Gold Stars: 38
I still love it! For me it's the climax to the domestic season, all our family still gather to watch it every year without fail. I suppose in that respect it's what you make of it yourselves. Get your old man round, get your uncle knob head down, get the kids in the back yard kicking a ball around, have a BBQ and a few beers and watch the cup final! I think there was a lot more romance about the old Wembley with the history and nostalgia about it, but once the game kicks off that's all forgotten about.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
Abdul19
May 27, 2017, 3:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,431
Gold Stars: 212
The roundly The FA Cup is excrement thread   I'll be watching it. The 2 semis were cracking games.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cup Final Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.