golfer
May 30, 2017, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from 935

Where do the club find a business account that pays interest???

It reduces the money that they have to pay interest on-it is not all interest free
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
KingstonMariner
May 30, 2017, 6:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Bit harsh that Kingston considering Grimsby is a small Town, we have a decent fan base but since our decline relatively average attendances. There has been lots of challenges with the likes of overdrafts, debt, HMRC etc... and of course a number of seasons in tin pot which generates small incomes I actually think the fact we are now back in the FL and have moved forward is a good indication of decent business management.

It makes me laugh posters on here go on about JF being synonymous in the signing of Omar as it's not fashionable or some aren't brave enough to credit Hurst with anything related to success well if that's the case turning a 50k investment into a 1 million plus return in 18 months is a stroke of genius.

Not really. When you consider where we where in the League when he took over, where we've been during his tenure and where we are now, then add in the fact debt has grown, it's not a good record.

Given those results, in any other business he'd have been given the boot (if he wasn't the owner) and a very rough time by other shareholders.

I don't know what your point about Omar/Hurst/JF is. Nothing to do with what I said. Whoever was responsible though, it's not a stroke of genius. Lots of people identified Bogle as a prospect before the first attempt. Good business but not the work of a genius.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
HertsGTFC
May 30, 2017, 7:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Many identified Omar but only one club signed him, us!

Exactly from a business point of view other than pump more of his own money in what would you specifically say he could have done differently that would have made a tangible difference?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
MuddyWaters
May 30, 2017, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Exactly from a business point of view other than pump more of his own money in what would you specifically say he could have done differently that would have made a tangible difference?

Not wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds paying off managers who were bad appointments?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
Cloudy
May 30, 2017, 7:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Pump less money in.

Have a clearly defined plan/strategy rather than firefighting and 'praying for football fortune' on an annual basis.

There are clearly some, and I totally accept they are entitled to their view, that believe without JF's bailouts on a near annual basis we would be dead and buried as a club. They thank god for JF as we could well have been another Orient, Stockport or Darlington. Others feel that with better management and vision we could have been at least a Burton, Rochdale,Barnsley or even a Scunny.

Bottom line is none of us know where we would be if JF hadn't come along!
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
Henryscat
May 30, 2017, 8:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Maybe the club's year end is the 31st May and we might already have a hefty tax bill because of the Omar deal and crowds above projected.

Waiting til 1st June to get the income makes sense as the tax won't need paying til next year.

But hey we couldn't possibly have that sort of business acumen at the club could we?!

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
TheCodfather1966
May 31, 2017, 7:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
I think we all know what the problem is at this club, but until anybody else steps in to take financial control of the club we are stuck with the same problems season in season out.  No doubt we are spending peanuts again assembling a squad of journeymen, who the Board will be praying Russ can turn into a decent team.  No proper investment in the club once again, and the supporters the last to know anything.  Good job we are a loyal bunch and keep the faith.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
newarkmariner
May 31, 2017, 7:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
God some people really need to get out more if this is all they've got to worry about,cloudy you need a girlfriend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
May 31, 2017, 7:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
I think we all know what the problem is at this club, but until anybody else steps in to take financial control of the club we are stuck with the same problems season in season out.  No doubt we are spending peanuts again assembling a squad of journeymen, who the Board will be praying Russ can turn into a decent team.  No proper investment in the club once again, and the supporters the last to know anything.  Good job we are a loyal bunch and keep the faith.

UTM

Which are the journey man signings????
Reply: 48 - 50
newarkmariner
May 31, 2017, 7:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
if we signed Messi codfather would have some bitter and twisted view about it, boring
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Taking the Michael

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.