Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Bilbao & Bizkaia Ground Guide
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 298 Guests

Bilbao & Bizkaia Ground Guide

This thread currently has 1,299 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
May 24, 2017, 2:07pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Hi all,

I am working on a Ground Guide for the Bilbao and Bizkaia region. I have recently added a couple of new grounds and made the site a big more navigable.

If there are any groundhoppers or ground guide users on here please take a look and let me know any feedback/suggestions you have.

https://bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/first-blog-post/

Cheers,

Tom

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
KingstonMariner
May 25, 2017, 1:04am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Looks an interesting guide Tom. The info within it looks useful and informative. Nice uncluttered layout too. I like the idea of you covering a manageable area in depth and all levels of clubs not just a 'guide to Spanish football grounds' and only doing the top tier (which is probably more readily available anyway).

One thing I would suggest is making it more obvious where the A-Z of grounds is. I would have it as a link thing at the top and not within 'About'. It'd be the first thing I'd look for. I know you say where it is within the text, but as a lazy reader.....

Also maybe for the casual visitor to the Basque country include a map plotting the grounds. So if you're in Town X then you can quickly see where your nearest club is.

One question (not really about the guide), is what language do supporters routinely use when talking to each other and chanting? Basque or Spanish? Or does it vary from club to club? Or from song to song - maybe using Spanish for the 'it's nice to know you're here now...' type songs and 'we love you X' type stuff in Basque?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 3
Paris Mariner
May 25, 2017, 1:31pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Hi Kingston,

Thanks for the feedback. I've amended that first point already. The map is also a great idea but I'm not sure my computer skills are good enough to do that.

Regarding your question about chanting etc. It depends both on the club and where it is situated. Clubs which are more rural and further inland from the Basque borders with other places tend to publish their twitter announcements, facebook pages, websites etc in Basque and when you go to those towns people there speak Basque.

In Bilbao, most things are in Spanish because it's more international and there are people from all over Spain here. Flags and things tend to carry Basque writing because it's a nationalist thing. Barakaldo and Sestao, the two places where there is actually singing, sing in Basque. In the fourth tier here, chanting is non-existent.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 3
KingstonMariner
May 25, 2017, 9:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Cheers Tom. Fast work!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Bilbao & Bizkaia Ground Guide

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.