Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who remembers Terry Curran?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 128 Guests

Who remembers Terry Curran?

This thread currently has 7,240 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
May 23, 2017, 9:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from chaos33
I remember (and surely I can't be the only one), the Pontoon taunting him with the song "Terry Curran sh1ts his underpants", whilst playing for Wednesday at BP.

I remember it as "Jackie Charlton sh1ts his underpants". Probably both got an airing to be fair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 23, 2017, 9:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Went to play golf at Garforth near Leeds in the mid nineties and stopped at a cafe for breakfast and bloke serving looked familiar. Was playing golf with ex Scunny & Lincoln striker Derek Bell, and he knew the guy who yes was Terry Curran who I believe was owner as well as Chef!!

Good player & good breakfast!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
chaos33
May 23, 2017, 9:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from ginnywings

I remember it as "Jackie Charlton sh1ts his underpants". Probably both got an airing to be fair.

I don't remember Jackie Charlton playing at BP. Town fans singled Curran out in a period when Wednesday were probably more hated than Hull and definitely more than Scunny.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
lee65
May 23, 2017, 10:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
I remember one midweek game when I was about 15 and we beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 (I think) in front of a massive crowd (Tony Ford scored at least one) I was behind the fences in the pontoon and someone threw a coin at Curran and he picked it up and threw it back in annoyance, only two be met by hundreds more bouncing off the mesh and going all over  

For younger listeners I'm not condoning this, but the atmos was electric that night, one of the best ever at BP

Great days grrr (Bottom quote  )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 23, 2017, 10:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
See Jack Charlton also gets mentioned as he was Sheff Wed manager at the time Curran played. Guy in our village, Tony Simmons, ex Rotherham, QPR & Chimps was telling me how Charlton made him sub at BP on boxing day in early eighties when he was 17 and never played for the first time.

Tony is a ginger & says he went for a little run to get earm to get that normal friendly welcome that Yorkies used to receive in that era. He says add the fact I was ginger, white as a ghost & skinny and you can imagine it was not the start to professional football he was dreaming of.

Not looked at database for result but memory suggests a 1-0 win wwith either Waters or Wilko scoring the goal but I seem to recall goal was at Osmond end following a great run from midfield by Waters but cannot remember if he played 1-2 with Wilko to score himself or pulled it back for Wilko. Sure Les and others will correct me if wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
chaos33
May 23, 2017, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
See Jack Charlton also gets mentioned as he was Sheff Wed manager at the time Curran played. Guy in our village, Tony Simmons, ex Rotherham, QPR & Chimps was telling me how Charlton made him sub at BP on boxing day in early eighties when he was 17 and never played for the first time.

Tony is a ginger & says he went for a little run to get earm to get that normal friendly welcome that Yorkies used to receive in that era. He says add the fact I was ginger, white as a ghost & skinny and you can imagine it was not the start to professional football he was dreaming of.

Not looked at database for result but memory suggests a 1-0 win wwith either Waters or Wilko scoring the goal but I seem to recall goal was at Osmond end following a great run from midfield by Waters but cannot remember if he played 1-2 with Wilko to score himself or pulled it back for Wilko. Sure Les and others will correct me if wrong.

Ah yeah...course he was. Right.
I don't remember him getting that song, but Curran definitely. Take your shaggy hair, and your flamboyant, laconic style Curran, and f**k off!  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
dapperz fun pub
May 23, 2017, 10:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Remember going to Wednesday in the curran era and seeing that huge kop long before it was covered and thinking wow , very impressive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
promotion plaice
May 23, 2017, 11:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

Yeah, I remember Terry Curran playing for Town at the end of his career, always rated him until he played for us.

Some success stories as well though, Trevor Whymark, Garry Birtles, Chris Nicholl and even Ivano Bonetti spring to mind.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
Southwark Mariner
May 23, 2017, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Remember going to Wednesday in the curran era and seeing that huge kop long before it was covered and thinking wow , very impressive

never thought of it before but just now wondered where kop comes from....turns out it's a site of a battle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spion_Kop_(stadiums)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
KingstonMariner
May 24, 2017, 2:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

never thought of it before but just now wondered where kop comes from....turns out it's a site of a battle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spion_Kop_(stadiums)

Yep. Home team won that one.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who remembers Terry Curran?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.