Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Danny Andrew????
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

Danny Andrew????

This thread currently has 13,423 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
May 23, 2017, 11:52am
Guest User
Quoted from 935

I always find the phrase "when you let your best players contract expire" a bit odd. Its indicative of the way the GTFC fans seem to have a default position that everything is the club/fenty/manager's fault.

It happens too often to be surely down to practically every player of the year leaving on a Bosman free transfer. Players, particularly at this level are not millionaires, they want the security of a contract like every working person.

I do believe our contract renewal policy needs looking at. It doesn't have to be a wholesale thing where several squad members are offered new deals, but for those that bond with the team, and excel in their position it does not make sense to me to allow the contract to run down. If Andrew goes, am I correct in saying we will still need to sign a new left back? A left back that despite scouting, may not fit in with the squad, may not be good enough or may not settle in the area.

I do not believe Carl Magnay would have left if we had offered him a contract at the the turn of the year. I remember he was on Twitter saying he would sign whenever the extension was offered - it wasn't and he went on to be play of the year then left for a smaller club.

Padraig Amond, from the grapevine I understand was looking for a new club practically as soon as he signed so I can understand him not renewing (went well there son!). It's happened time and time again, other clubs manage to renew contracts mid season. Why do we let our assets leave for nothing?
Reply: 10 - 60
Chrisblor

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
You could tell from his responses every time he was asked about staying at town that he had his sights set on signing for a club higher up the league if possible. No issue with that myself - good luck to him. Just a shame we're looking at another massive overhaul this summer.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
RichMariner
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
What's happened to the '1 year with an option of a second' contract that seemed to be all the rage a few years back?

Seemed a sensible way to conduct business to me.

We sign someone for a season, and if they do well we trigger a clause that keeps them here for a second.

If they do well, and they're over 24, and another club comes in for them, we get a bit of money for them (depending on valuations).

If they don't do well, they leave. No pay-off. No hassle.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
May 23, 2017, 11:54am
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner
What's happened to the '1 year with an option of a second' contract that seemed to be all the rage a few years back?

We sign someone for a season, and if they do well we trigger a clause that keeps them here for a second.

If they do well, and they're over 24, and another club comes in for them, we get a bit of money for them (depending on valuations).

Course, that's up to the player and the players agent. And our chief executive Ian Fleming I would imagine - who only carries out the instructions of the board.
Reply: 13 - 60
May 23, 2017, 12:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner

These are out of fashion as they dont benefit the player's agent because there is no new signing on fee.
Reply: 14 - 60
May 23, 2017, 12:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from 75

It happens too often to be surely down to practically every player of the year leaving on a Bosman free transfer. Players, particularly at this level are not millionaires, they want the security of a contract like every working person.

I do believe our contract renewal policy needs looking at. It doesn't have to be a wholesale thing where several squad members are offered new deals, but for those that bond with the team, and excel in their position it does not make sense to me to allow the contract to run down. If Andrew goes, am I correct in saying we will still need to sign a new left back? A left back that despite scouting, may not fit in with the squad, may not be good enough or may not settle in the area.

I do not believe Carl Magnay would have left if we had offered him a contract at the the turn of the year. I remember he was on Twitter saying he would sign whenever the extension was offered - it wasn't and he went on to be play of the year then left for a smaller club.

Padraig Amond, from the grapevine I understand was looking for a new club practically as soon as he signed so I can understand him not renewing (went well there son!). It's happened time and time again, other clubs manage to renew contracts mid season. Why do we let our assets leave for nothing?

Carl Magnay said a lot of things. The point here is that if a player and his agent want a contract to run down then there is nothing the club can do about it.
Reply: 15 - 60
gtfc98
May 23, 2017, 12:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
He's good, but he's only a good left back. Won't lose any sleep over him leaving.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
Mariner_09
May 23, 2017, 12:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Agreed, my opinions on Andrew are well documented, fantastic going forward but does get caught out of position too often and plays awful balls once a game. He's improved defensively as the season's gone on though.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
ginnywings
May 23, 2017, 12:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner_09
Agreed, my opinions on Andrew are well documented, fantastic going forward but does get caught out of position too often and plays awful balls once a game. He's improved defensively as the season's gone on though.

Probably because he had spent 2 injury hit years previously and needed a season to get back up to speed. I don't know what you have against him as he is as good as it gets at league 2 level and we only got him because of his long injury lay off.

I have always thought he would be gone after putting himself in the shop window here to prove his fitness. Slade has said that if he signs for a league 2 club, it will be us, but i don't think he will sign for a league 2 club, so if isn't Donny, it will be someone else. He's clearly good enough for league 1 and i wouldn't blame him one bit for moving up and probably doubling his wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
barrattstandman
May 23, 2017, 1:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
So we give someone with injury problems a two year contract and the fishy ridicule it yet when we give two year ones the fishy still goes bananas . .?????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Danny Andrew????

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.