9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinersOnTheUp
May 19, 2017, 2:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Quoted from HotToddy
In reality, Slade has at best inherited an average League 2 side. He's not going to settle for that and is going to bring in the quality to fight at the top end of the table.

James McKeown - average keeper
Ben Davies - im sorry to say he's past it
Shaun Pearson - would never be a regular in Slades side
Sean McAllister - too small imo
. .

Why revao many fishy posters obsessed with the size of a player. Really annoys me when I see the phrase 'too lightweight'.

If your technically good enough you don't have to be big and just because a player is small in height it doesn't mean they're not physically good.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 82
dapperz fun pub
May 19, 2017, 6:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82

Yes I am absolutely sure. Compared to some of the comedy managers we have had we have got a gem in Slade. Who would you like as manager as a matter of interest if not Slade? Don't tell me, a mystery man who will not only win league 2 but storm both league 1 and the Championship in successive years and win the FA Cup for good measure.

Would you class a comedy manager someone  who gets drunk loses his car keys , I could go on but won't ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 82
May 19, 2017, 7:07am
Guest User
Totally understand that we don't have an inherent right to be informed of everything that goes on behind closed doors. I just wished the Club wouldn't state that Players had been offered new deals when, in actual fact, they haven't.

A little bit more honesty and thought wouldn't go amiss when publishing stuff.

Reply: 42 - 82
ginnywings
May 19, 2017, 8:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 1542
Totally understand that we don't have an inherent right to be informed of everything that goes on behind closed doors. I just wished the Club wouldn't state that Players had been offered new deals when, in actual fact, they haven't.

They never said he had been offered a new deal, they only said that about Andrew. Pearson and Davies were " in negotiations" and obviously they bore no fruit with Pearson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 82
Simariner
May 19, 2017, 8:11am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
IN SLADE WE TRUST!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 82
mariner91
May 19, 2017, 8:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from ginnywings

They never said he had been offered a new deal, they only said that about Andrew. Pearson and Davies were " in negotiations" and obviously they bore no fruit with Pearson.

Exactly. It could well have been that Shaun said "X have offered me Y amount a week for two years" and then Town have said "Well we're prepared to give you Z amount a week for a year but we can't/won't match their offer" so no contract was ever formally put on the table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 82
malkamalka
May 19, 2017, 8:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
With regards to the PR...

As with Dis, it appears that the club have conceded official announcement to the player. I personally, see this as the club acknowledging the status of senior players, in granting them this concession.

I'd think the likely scenario regarding "discussions" goes as Mariner91 suggested.

As long s it's not Lincoln, offering more

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 82
HertsGTFC
May 19, 2017, 8:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,879
Gold Stars: 227

Maybe they thought that they where still in negotiations with Shaun and it was JT and the players  who went public. At this moment you just don't know

If the club publicised each stage of a negotiation then its doubtful we would land anyone to be honest.

Seems odd that via Twitter Shaun had painted a picture that this no offer was made rather than negotiations not finalised into a deal, also apparently he had something lined up which would suggest he covered his backside or maybe tried to play one off against the other.

There are 2 sides to every story but often when players we love leave a club we assume it's all the clubs fault

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 82
LondonMariner43
May 19, 2017, 10:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
"truth is Pearson would probably have got a new contract had Hurst not given Boyce a two year deal."

I tend to agree with this view.  My guess is that RS does not necessarily see SP as a definite first choice centre back next season but would have kept him as a good squad player. However, the number of 2 year contracts given out by PH and MB has left little room for manoeuvre.

I assume the club had discussed some possible terms with SP but would only formalise these in a contract once there was broad agreement. They obviously couldn't offer the sort of terms that SP wanted.  

I've seen mention of 1 vs 2 year contract.  I imagine that RS is only going to offer 2 year deals to players if he is confident they can transition into L1 after next year, given his goal of promotion.  RS may well not be convinced that SP will make that step.  In contrast, a less ambitious club may be happy to sign him up for longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 82
forza ivano
May 19, 2017, 10:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from LondonMariner43
"truth is Pearson would probably have got a new contract had Hurst not given Boyce a two year deal."

I tend to agree with this view.  My guess is that RS does not necessarily see SP as a definite first choice centre back next season but would have kept him as a good squad player. However, the number of 2 year contracts given out by PH and MB has left little room for manoeuvre.

I assume the club had discussed some possible terms with SP but would only formalise these in a contract once there was broad agreement. They obviously couldn't offer the sort of terms that SP wanted.  

I've seen mention of 1 vs 2 year contract.  I imagine that RS is only going to offer 2 year deals to players if he is confident they can transition into L1 after next year, given his goal of promotion.  RS may well not be convinced that SP will make that step.  In contrast, a less ambitious club may be happy to sign him up for longer.

interesting point.one i hadn't thought of certainly

ps my sauce/sorss/source tells me that pearson , surprisingly, is moving up in the world to Div 1. You don't have to be too SHREWd to work out where that may be !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FTAO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.