7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
heppy88
May 14, 2017, 7:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
I was hoping FGR would win today. I know this won’t be popular with many of the Fishy (or anyone else to that matter) but I believe they deserve it.
Its often banded around that FGR don’t deserve league football, but I’ve always asked why?

Established in 1889 they are only 10 years younger than GTFC!
They have remained established in the conference/national league for 17 years.
Dale Vince has only been involved for 7 of the 17 years.
Yes, Dale has invested money in the club, but so what? The modern game relies on benefactors to support and invest in the clubs. Why is he different to any other chairman/owner of any other club? Lets face it, many of the clubs in the league are owned by foreign owners with little or no links to the area of the club.
Dale is a self-made businessman and millionaire. He has strong beliefs, ethics and principles and tries to run his interests likewise. He doesn’t follow the status quo and walks the talk. I think if all business men were remotely like this the country wouldn’t find itself in the mess its in now. Lets face it Football could do with a few principles at the minute!
He is highly respected by supporters, players and staff. More than one of the players today stated he is the best chairman they had played for.
Yes, the club have low attendances. Their supporters will be as passionate in support for their club as any other. But so what, should attendance ever be a factor deciding whether a club has the right to play league football? Hopefully we will climb the leagues over the coming years which will inevitably mean we will be the minnows, attendance wise. Should we not have a crack at the Championship/Premiership just because of lower than average support?
The club have a vision for the future and part of that is a new stadium which looks impressive. I hope that J.F takes some of the ideas and includes them in the design for our stadium. What would be wrong with a self-sustainable stadium? The council are trying to promote N. E. Lincolnshire as a hub for sustainable energy. What better than a sustainably run stadium with a company such as Dong Energy as a sponsor? If done right solar panels, LED lighting etc. could generate an income for the club.
FGR have made mistakes in the past. But what club hasnt?

Anyway, welcome FGR to the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Ronnie
May 14, 2017, 7:12pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BD-7z0JCAAA1Orw.jpg:large[/img]

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 63
May 14, 2017, 7:15pm
Guest User
They belong in non league, with their thugs as stewards and their fake fans. When we take the same amount of fans to Notts County as they do to Wembley then this says it all for me.
Reply: 2 - 63
headingly_mariner
May 14, 2017, 7:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from heppy88
I was hoping FGR would win today. I know this won’t be popular with many of the Fishy (or anyone else to that matter) but I believe they deserve it.
Its often banded around that FGR don’t deserve league football, but I’ve always asked why?

Established in 1889 they are only 10 years younger than GTFC!
They have remained established in the conference/national league for 17 years.
Dale Vince has only been involved for 7 of the 17 years.
Yes, Dale has invested money in the club, but so what? The modern game relies on benefactors to support and invest in the clubs. Why is he different to any other chairman/owner of any other club? Lets face it, many of the clubs in the league are owned by foreign owners with little or no links to the area of the club.
Dale is a self-made businessman and millionaire. He has strong beliefs, ethics and principles and tries to run his interests likewise. He doesn’t follow the status quo and walks the talk. I think if all business men were remotely like this the country wouldn’t find itself in the mess its in now. Lets face it Football could do with a few principles at the minute!
He is highly respected by supporters, players and staff. More than one of the players today stated he is the best chairman they had played for.
Yes, the club have low attendances. Their supporters will be as passionate in support for their club as any other. But so what, should attendance ever be a factor deciding whether a club has the right to play league football? Hopefully we will climb the leagues over the coming years which will inevitably mean we will be the minnows, attendance wise. Should we not have a crack at the Championship/Premiership just because of lower than average support?
The club have a vision for the future and part of that is a new stadium which looks impressive. I hope that J.F takes some of the ideas and includes them in the design for our stadium. What would be wrong with a self-sustainable stadium? The council are trying to promote N. E. Lincolnshire as a hub for sustainable energy. What better than a sustainably run stadium with a company such as Dong Energy as a sponsor? If done right solar panels, LED lighting etc. could generate an income for the club.
FGR have made mistakes in the past. But what club hasnt?

Anyway, welcome FGR to the football league.

Hope they go straight back down. Another joke club that have allowed a wealthy twit to change their kit and urine about with their club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
Cloudy
May 14, 2017, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
A fair % of Vince's money came on the back of government subsidies and FGR have had cumulative losses of over £10m on the back of crowds which barely top 1000.

Also paid agents over £200k in the past year. This is in non league ffs!!!

Essentially he has used government subsidies to finance his football club.

I cannot think how any sane person would say this is reasonable and certainly not worthy of praise
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
fleabag1970
May 14, 2017, 7:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
It's capitalism ffs . If you don't like it go live in Russia . Fair play to fgr

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
Hagrid
May 14, 2017, 7:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Vince has said " it'll be easy for us now to get into league 1." What a helmet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
lukeo
May 14, 2017, 8:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I don't like them but they're close to me so it's an extra game for me to go to! plus their is that added bit of spice with our history with them well done fgr I guess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
Cayman_mariner
May 14, 2017, 8:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Hagrid

Saw that Hagrid and it annoyed me too. Can't stand that guy - hopefully he'll be about as accurate as he was with his promise to be champions this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
MuddyWaters
May 14, 2017, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Hagrid

Swann has tried to do the same with Scunny and the Championship - helmet of similar proportion who needs to understand that you need a fanbase as well as money to build a proper club with a proper history.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Welcome FGR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.