2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Vance Warner
May 13, 2017, 7:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Some cracking memories from this competition.
Burnley away in the semi final is my favorite ever away game. Was right behind that volley. Wembley was amazing but this was more intimate. The celebrations with the players at the end were superb. Over 100 years and we'd never played at Wembley - hard to believe now.
Scunthorpe away that same season was a cracking atmosphere and hanging on for a draw at home to Morcambe in 08 with a Last minute save from Phil Barnes.

Shame that future generations won't get those experiences but that's what happens when greed takes over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
BraStrap
May 13, 2017, 11:20am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +81
Gold Stars: 1
80000 people have memories of the final between Oxford and Coventry. I am sure there are plenty of people who will remember that day for years. I bet if you asked the players what they thought of the competition they'd all want to participate in it. Hardly RIP. Total overreaction as usual on here from some.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
LH
May 13, 2017, 1:50pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Would it have drawn the same crowd had it been Everton U23s Vs Coventry/Oxford? Would it still mean as much to the fans and players if they were playing against  a youth team at Wembley? Call it an overreaction if you like but don't complain when League Two becomes a development league for the PL.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Vance Warner
May 13, 2017, 3:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
This year's competition got very lucky with the final. The decision not to boycott the later rounds was probably a mistake but after the farce of the group stage it seemed impossible that the tournament would continue. Unfortunately we now know that chairmen are happy to play in empty stadiums as long as they get money. That is a threat to the future of football supporting as we know it. Hardly an overreaction by fishy standards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
ginnywings
May 13, 2017, 6:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
They would make the same amount or more if it had stayed the same format. We would have had 2 or 3000 for some games, instead of the 500/600 that bothered to turn up. Getting money in without fan involvement is just wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
louth_in_the_south
May 13, 2017, 6:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
It's up to the fans to kill the current format off . If no one had bothered turning up for the final instead of 80,000 it would've got that k.nob the sack . Instead he sat there patting himself on the back , job done .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
rancido
May 14, 2017, 11:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from LH
Would it have drawn the same crowd had it been Everton U23s Vs Coventry/Oxford? Would it still mean as much to the fans and players if they were playing against  a youth team at Wembley? Call it an overreaction if you like but don't complain when League Two becomes a development league for the PL.

I would hardly call U23's " youths " ! Once a player coming through a clubs' ranks reaches 18 then if he's kept on he is offered a contract and becomes a professional footballer. Think of all the town players in the past who have become established players at GTFC before the age of 21. Maybe I'm not as cynical as some but I can never see League Two becoming a development league for the PL, the vast majority of League clubs wouldn't vote for it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
ginnywings
May 14, 2017, 12:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from rancido

I would hardly call U23's " youths " ! Once a player coming through a clubs' ranks reaches 18 then if he's kept on he is offered a contract and becomes a professional footballer. Think of all the town players in the past who have become established players at GTFC before the age of 21. Maybe I'm not as cynical as some but I can never see League Two becoming a development league for the PL, the vast majority of League clubs wouldn't vote for it.

Not yet but it has already gone from a 1 year experiment with a pot of 2 million, to a 2 year deal with 3 million in the pot. Pocket change to the Prem and they can afford to play the long game. All this has done is open the door slightly and i will bet my life that they now start to work on pushing that door open a little more every season until they get what they want.

I don't want to watch my side play against a development squad from the Prem, not now, not ever and all it has took for that to happen is 3 million quid. That's 2 months salary for Ibrahimovic to put it in context.

This idea needed strangling at birth but somehow they have got a foot in the door and getting it out again will prove more and more difficult the longer it stays there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
headingly_mariner
May 14, 2017, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Not yet but it has already gone from a 1 year experiment with a pot of 2 million, to a 2 year deal with 3 million in the pot. Pocket change to the Prem and they can afford to play the long game. All this has done is open the door slightly and i will bet my life that they now start to work on pushing that door open a little more every season until they get what they want.

I don't want to watch my side play against a development squad from the Prem, not now, not ever and all it has took for that to happen is 3 million quid. That's 2 months salary for Ibrahimovic to put it in context.

This idea needed strangling at birth but somehow they have got a foot in the door and getting it out again will prove more and more difficult the longer it stays there.

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
LH
May 14, 2017, 12:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from rancido

We've already seen one club say they wouldn't vote for it again re-vote for it because more money was offered (no names) so don't kid yourself that if the money wasn't there they'd go for it.

Of course you're right they're not youth teams. I remember 30-year-old Scotland international Charlie Adam was fielded in this tournament that had seen changes to help improve the England national team and give youths a game against professionals.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RIP FL Trophy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.