Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's set a club record!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 353 Guests

Let's set a club record!

This thread currently has 6,137 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
May 12, 2017, 2:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I've had enough of Shaun Harvey, B-teams, League 3 and all that other nonsense the EFL try and peddle to suit the PL.

We should use one of their Checkatrade Trophy matches to set a new record low attendance at BP.

Not just a boycott.

A proper campaign; an operation, if you like, with a name. We're bloody brilliant at those.

Whatever U23 team we play at BP, we use that fixture to see how low we can get our attendance.

In fact, why don't we organise a fans' match on the same night and see if we can get more people to attend that than BP?

That would make an incredible news story, and be a powerful message to Harvey.

We're so p1ssed off with you lot, that we've just created our own match and it's more popular than your competition.

Any other ideas of how we can tell the EFL to shove their Checkatrade monstrosity?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
IlkleyMariner
May 12, 2017, 2:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,870
Gold Stars: 66
Agree with the sentiment, but Harvey and his mob really don't get it.

No amount of fan protest will bother him.

He needs to be SACKED

Chairmen, get on with it.... you know you can
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
RichMariner
May 12, 2017, 2:20pm
Brandy Drinker
We can't trust the chairmen, though.

Harvey waves a wad of money in their faces and that's enough to make most of them vote for whatever he wants.

Fans need to stand together on this and do what those in higher positions won't do.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
LH
May 12, 2017, 2:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
Maybe the League Cup should be boycotted as well? If we were lucky enough to draw Man Utd in round 3 we'd only end up playing a B team anyway (or at the very best an A.5).
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
golfer
May 12, 2017, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
I think we are all being a bit silly---if you don't like it do as i do and don't go, but if some fool wants to it's up to him. To most chairmen it's a business so money rules no matter what we say
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
GrimRob
May 12, 2017, 2:59pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from golfer
I think we are all being a bit silly---if you don't like it do as i do and don't go, but if some fool wants to it's up to him. To most chairmen it's a business so money rules no matter what we say

If money rules then surely people not going will have some impact? We got around 600 for the games last year. I imagine that would be at least 2000 down on what we might have expected. Sheff Utd might easily have got 4-5K under normal circumstances.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 33
jimgtfc
May 12, 2017, 3:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Or maybe we can use it as an opportunity to give some of our younger players an opportunity, maybe a Harry Clifton or an Ahkeem Rose, and get down there and support them. This competition isn't going anywhere, and as much as I'm against any inclusion of 'B teams' in the league, which has already been stated that it needs a huge vote in favour from the FL clubs which it clearly won't get, so I'm not that bothered about them playing in a competition that nobody is interested in until they get within a sniff of Wembley. Just treat it like a reserve competition.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
ginnywings
May 12, 2017, 3:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from GrimRob

If money rules then surely people not going will have some impact? We got around 600 for the games last year. I imagine that would be at least 2000 down on what we might have expected. Sheff Utd might easily have got 4-5K under normal circumstances.

Clearly not. The EFL declared it a success regardless of poor attendances and then proceeded to sweeten the pot with more money to compensate.

The saying " the price of everything and value of nothing" couldn't be more apt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
RichMariner
May 12, 2017, 3:18pm
Brandy Drinker
I'd never stop someone from going to the game if he/she wants to. That's totally up to them.

This idea has been floating around on Twitter and there's a real appetite for arranging a fans game on the same night - possibly at the same time - as our match against a B team, and we should see if we can attract more fans to this than the match at BP.

This isn't turning your back on GTFC. It's saying that football is only worth watching if it has fans at its heart.

I'm not sure if this is something the InternetMariners would like to get involved with, but imagine the coverage we'd get if our fans match attracted a bigger crowd than a 'professional' football match.

I think this sort of publicity stunt, whether successful or not, would attract media attention - and it might just encourage other clubs' trusts to do the same.

Strength in numbers. We create our own fixtures because the 'real' ones have been devalued and are just about money and baying to the PL.

Football is for the fans. Let's actually do something that's for the fans, by the fans.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
ginnywings
May 12, 2017, 3:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
If a game is arranged in opposition, count me in to attend. Can't think of a suitable venue offhand though?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's set a club record!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.