7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
May 13, 2017, 5:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Let's stage a proper effort. Try and get a double digits attendance, that would be an achievement.

Harvey will just make up stats again though as he did last season vis a vis attendance figures.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
headingly_mariner
May 13, 2017, 6:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from bax
I'm a Trust board member, currently the Vice Chair. The Trust has been and remains completely opposed to B Teams in this or any other trophy. This was communicated to the Trust's rep on the club board and he put forward our case. Sadly there's only one Trust vote in the boardroom and so that's a minority vote.

Some of the stuff on here about not being strong enough or in the club's pocket is absolutely laughable and, to an extent, pretty hurtful. All of the Trust board members are volunteers. None of us get paid. We do it for the love of the club and because we want to see it succeed. There are things that collectively or individually we disagree with and we put that to the club. Sometimes we can affect change, and sometimes we can't. Obviously if people think they can do better, sign up to the Trust and look to be elected onto the board at the AGM later in the year. There will be spaces and we're always after people with the right skills to help represent supporters.

Personally speaking I'm hugely disappointed in the club's decision and the fact this has been driven by money. I respect John Fenty's view because we all want the club to be self sustainable and this bribe by the EFL and PL will balance the books. However, this is the thin edge of the wedge no matter what anyone says.

But worse, this is a two fingered salute to the supporters who have supported the club in so many different ways over the last few years. Operation Promotion, the significant increase in season ticket holders, the magnificent away followings over the last two years and the positive PR we've generated in general since the dark days if Burton. ALL of this was generated organically by the fans. Not the club.

At times, the club needs to remember that we're not just customers who help keep a business afloat. That's not how football works.

It's great that the Trust have aired the views of the fans. It's shocking that those who make the decisions at the club have ignored this.

It's a massive own goal from the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
Caesar
May 13, 2017, 7:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from bax
I'm a Trust board member, currently the Vice Chair. The Trust has been and remains completely opposed to B Teams in this or any other trophy. This was communicated to the Trust's rep on the club board and he put forward our case. Sadly there's only one Trust vote in the boardroom and so that's a minority vote.

Some of the stuff on here about not being strong enough or in the club's pocket is absolutely laughable and, to an extent, pretty hurtful. All of the Trust board members are volunteers. None of us get paid. We do it for the love of the club and because we want to see it succeed. There are things that collectively or individually we disagree with and we put that to the club. Sometimes we can affect change, and sometimes we can't. Obviously if people think they can do better, sign up to the Trust and look to be elected onto the board at the AGM later in the year. There will be spaces and we're always after people with the right skills to help represent supporters.

Personally speaking I'm hugely disappointed in the club's decision and the fact this has been driven by money. I respect John Fenty's view because we all want the club to be self sustainable and this bribe by the EFL and PL will balance the books. However, this is the thin edge of the wedge no matter what anyone says.

But worse, this is a two fingered salute to the supporters who have supported the club in so many different ways over the last few years. Operation Promotion, the significant increase in season ticket holders, the magnificent away followings over the last two years and the positive PR we've generated in general since the dark days if Burton. ALL of this was generated organically by the fans. Not the club.

At times, the club needs to remember that we're not just customers who help keep a business afloat. That's not how football works.

I want to say thank you to all the volunteers who work for the Trust, I really admire your hard work and everything you have done for the club.  I hope what I said wasn't hurtful to any of you as I made clear that I admired the time and work you all put in.  My view is that just having a minority vote as we do means that we can be easily overridden and to a large extent it seems to me are simply ignored.  I feel that the Trust are used to do good things for the club and to allow the rest of the board to say "we listen to the fans through the trust" but if the Trust being on the board is powerless when it comes to an issue fans feel as strongly about as this, then I really doubt what worth we are getting from it anymore.  That isn't to say that there are not improvements that the Trust has driven, it is just to say that those improvements pale compared to the inability to do anything about allowing the b-teams issue.  

Last night I had had a few to drink and that gave me an additional bravado, but the essence of what I said I sadly do feel and do think I will not renew my membership of the Trust as I am increasingly doubtful  about the best way to enact the change that I want to see in the club.  I would love to help out more and volunteer but I honestly don't feel I could do better than what you guys do, I don't even know how I think we can do better, or even if we can, I just am doubtful that the Trust can be part of the solution when this can happen.  I am not critcising your work at all and as I would like to reiterate I am grateful for the work you do and truly apologise if it was my comments that hurt you at all.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2017, 7:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner93er
It's not merely 'a little extra money for the club' though is it. The club, like many others in the football league, live precarious existences were our income has to be maintained, and a key to this income is the various competitions like this shitty trophy. I hate the way it is, but football league clubs are sadly at the mercy of the rich clubs, and can easily hold us to ransom. We can moan as much as we want, but whilst the soulless masses support the premier league franchise, there's intercourse all we can do about it.

How much does each club make out of the FL Trophy then? What is that as a percentage of income? Then net off the loss of gate receipts and other match day income from the boycott. What have you got?

Then factor in the intangible cost of the loss of confidence that fans have in those who run their clubs and run the FL. Not an immediate effect but it adds to that feeling of 'why do i bother supporting [name of club]?'

Then the bigger issue. Bigger than the revenue and confidence issue. The PL are gradually taking over the game. Concentrating more power in fewer clubs to achieve what they want. Ultimately you'll end up with the same sort of number of  teams as you have in the NFL. But at least in the US the game's governing body has control of the game as a whole - the FA are just powder puffs. All power will be in the hands of Abramovich, the rich sheikhs at Citeh and those Yank spies at United.

The more you take money from them the more say they'll have. Look at their reaction to the Accy chairman.

That's why I say taking the money is a Faustian pact (look up the Faust story).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
mimma
May 13, 2017, 8:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Spitting your dummy out at the trust is not going to make one iota of difference, in fact it makes you look daft.

The trust have acted in accordance with the wishes of its members. It shows that the majority shareholder can do what he sees fit, and what he sees as the best interest of the club finances . What more do you think they could have done? Fenty has stated that we didn't loose out financially from last seasons competition. It his duty to make sure the club makes as much money as possible to be competitive. That is his driving force, right or wrong.

The real villain in all this is Harvey and the FL. Do you think that not renewing your trust membership is going to give him a sleepless night?

The whole farce just shows that its money that runs the game and if you pay enough you can do what you want.

The FL, the FA and the Premier League needs overhauling from top to bottom. Until that happens we are stuck with money men inventing money making schemes to the detriment of the fans and the game we all love.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2017, 12:29am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mimma

The trust have acted in accordance with the wishes of its members. It shows that the majority shareholder can do what he sees fit, and what he sees as the best interest of the club finances . What more do you think they could have done? Fenty has stated that we didn't loose out financially from last seasons competition. It his duty to make sure the club makes as much money as possible to be competitive. That is his driving force, right or wrong.

The real villain in all this is Harvey and the FL. Do you think that not renewing your trust membership is going to give him a sleepless night?

The whole farce just shows that its money that runs the game and if you pay enough you can do what you want.

The FL, the FA and the Premier League needs overhauling from top to bottom. Until that happens we are stuck with money men inventing money making schemes to the detriment of the fans and the game we all love.

That is true. Sadly, the members wished for the Trust to return JF to being the majority shareholder. That's the trouble with democracy I suppose.

I'd like to know what the costs and revenue were for those FL Trophy games. How much was the subsidy we got from the PL? £20 or £30k?

As for the villains, you're right but, as the old saying goes, 'all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.'

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
Cloudy
May 14, 2017, 5:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Mariner93er
It's not merely 'a little extra money for the club' though is it. The club, like many others in the football league, live precarious existences were our income has to be maintained, and a key to this income is the various competitions like this shitty trophy. I hate the way it is, but football league clubs are sadly at the mercy of the rich clubs, and can easily hold us to ransom. We can moan as much as we want, but whilst the soulless masses support the premier league franchise, there's intercourse all we can do about it.

Totally disagree but as always it is about opinions.

As stated previously I will dramatically reduce the amount of money I put into the club each year. Will it make any difference? I doubt it, but when the board refuse to listen to the fans this is the only way I personally can make my point.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
HackneyHaddock
May 14, 2017, 5:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Cloudy

this is the only way I personally can make my point.

The only person you'll be making a point to, will be yourself.  The club won't notice.

Fenty is between a rock and a hard place.  He's taking the money for now because it reduces the club's reliance on him and he believes the competition is a dud anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
Cloudy
May 14, 2017, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

The only person you'll be making a point to, will be yourself.  The club won't notice.

Fenty is between a rock and a hard place.  He's taking the money for now because it reduces the club's reliance on him and he believes the competition is a dud anyway.

Agreed about who will notice but that shows the position we are in, nobody notices, or cares what the fans think.
It is only about money to JF, so if the £20k or whatever the club receive in exchange for our morals is reduced by a couple of grand then so be it. If a few others did the same it may make a difference but I suspect others will step into my place and the club will not be affected in the slightest.

Just another nail in the coffin of football, imo
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
HertsGTFC
May 14, 2017, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
How often do boards act upon the views of that fans at football clubs? Not very often I would imagine the difference re this is that it's a view shared by many supporters across L1 & L2.

The protest in a nice friendly way should be channelled at the sponsor as sponsor pressure is the only way that I could see this changing. The changes began to happen in Fifa when the people who wanted Blatter out started courting the interest of Coca Cola, McDonalds, MasterCard etc...    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO THE GTFC SUPPORTERS TRUST

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.