7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
May 13, 2017, 3:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
It's not merely 'a little extra money for the club' though is it. The club, like many others in the football league, live precarious existences were our income has to be maintained, and a key to this income is the various competitions like this shitty trophy. I hate the way it is, but football league clubs are sadly at the mercy of the rich clubs, and can easily hold us to ransom. We can moan as much as we want, but whilst the soulless masses support the premier league franchise, there's intercourse all we can do about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
Vance Warner
May 13, 2017, 4:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Hard to believe that the club survived for over 100 years without any hand outs from the Premier League. The clubs who voted against this farce clearly felt they had a choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
Mariner93er
May 13, 2017, 4:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
If suggest they're clubs who do not need the money, a lucky few.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
headingly_mariner
May 13, 2017, 4:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Vance Warner
Hard to believe that the club survived for over 100 years without any hand outs from the Premier League. The clubs who voted against this farce clearly felt they had a choice.

Exactly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
bax
May 13, 2017, 4:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
I'm a Trust board member, currently the Vice Chair. The Trust has been and remains completely opposed to B Teams in this or any other trophy. This was communicated to the Trust's rep on the club board and he put forward our case. Sadly there's only one Trust vote in the boardroom and so that's a minority vote.

Some of the stuff on here about not being strong enough or in the club's pocket is absolutely laughable and, to an extent, pretty hurtful. All of the Trust board members are volunteers. None of us get paid. We do it for the love of the club and because we want to see it succeed. There are things that collectively or individually we disagree with and we put that to the club. Sometimes we can affect change, and sometimes we can't. Obviously if people think they can do better, sign up to the Trust and look to be elected onto the board at the AGM later in the year. There will be spaces and we're always after people with the right skills to help represent supporters.

Personally speaking I'm hugely disappointed in the club's decision and the fact this has been driven by money. I respect John Fenty's view because we all want the club to be self sustainable and this bribe by the EFL and PL will balance the books. However, this is the thin edge of the wedge no matter what anyone says.

But worse, this is a two fingered salute to the supporters who have supported the club in so many different ways over the last few years. Operation Promotion, the significant increase in season ticket holders, the magnificent away followings over the last two years and the positive PR we've generated in general since the dark days if Burton. ALL of this was generated organically by the fans. Not the club.

At times, the club needs to remember that we're not just customers who help keep a business afloat. That's not how football works.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
Posh Harry
May 13, 2017, 5:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,353
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from bax
I'm a Trust board member, currently the Vice Chair. The Trust has been and remains completely opposed to B Teams in this or any other trophy. This was communicated to the Trust's rep on the club board and he put forward our case. Sadly there's only one Trust vote in the boardroom and so that's a minority vote.

Some of the stuff on here about not being strong enough or in the club's pocket is absolutely laughable and, to an extent, pretty hurtful. All of the Trust board members are volunteers. None of us get paid. We do it for the love of the club and because we want to see it succeed. There are things that collectively or individually we disagree with and we put that to the club. Sometimes we can affect change, and sometimes we can't. Obviously if people think they can do better, sign up to the Trust and look to be elected onto the board at the AGM later in the year. There will be spaces and we're always after people with the right skills to help represent supporters.

Personally speaking I'm hugely disappointed in the club's decision and the fact this has been driven by money. I respect John Fenty's view because we all want the club to be self sustainable and this bribe by the EFL and PL will balance the books. However, this is the thin edge of the wedge no matter what anyone says.

But worse, this is a two fingered salute to the supporters who have supported the club in so many different ways over the last few years. Operation Promotion, the significant increase in season ticket holders, the magnificent away followings over the last two years and the positive PR we've generated in general since the dark days if Burton. ALL of this was generated organically by the fans. Not the club.

At times, the club needs to remember that we're not just customers who help keep a business afloat. That's not how football works.

Well said Bax. Imho the trust do a fantastic job and whether we like it or not they have very limited power in the board room and that is not going to change in the near future. Don't worry about the minority on here who spout off some rubbish sometimes. It gives them something to do. I cannot speak for the majority, but I would be very surprised if most fishy posters and town fans in general didn't appreciate the hard work and time that you and other members of the trust put in, in what I am sure if often a thankless task.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
GrimRob
May 13, 2017, 5:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Vance Warner

That's not true, it may be literally the case, but it's not true in spirit. Before the formation of the Premier League a lot of the TV revenue from (mainly) First Division games used to make its way down the 92-club Football League. The main reason for creating the PL was so they didn't have to give the other 72 teams anything. The fact that not many clubs have disappeared since the formation of the PL is largely due to rich individuals keeping them afloat, plus the huge increase (in real terms) of watching lower league games for those who can still afford to attend them.

If I was a PL chairman I'd be far more interested in getting rid of (or reducing) relegation to the FL than I would in having B teams in it. I'd expect to see at some point a Premier 2 league with only limited relegation (if any) between it and the FL. I dearly hope that it doesn't happen but it's inevitable that the big boys will want the insurance of not getting relegated under any circumstances.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 66
pizzzza
May 13, 2017, 5:08pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Is that it then? Give up now?

Let's hit back! Will the Trust now throw their weight behind a boycott or the proposed protest game that will happen when the EFLTrophy games take place?
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
bax
May 13, 2017, 5:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from pizzzza
Is that it then? Give up now?

Let's hit back! Will the Trust now throw their weight behind a boycott or the proposed protest game that will happen when the EFLTrophy games take place?

well if somebody formally submits a proposal to the Trust clearly we will discuss it.

FWIW, again speaking personally, I don't think a boycott is the best way forward. It didn't work last year (I didn't go to any of the games) - look where we are now. I think there needs to be further thought and discussion to make the point clear. I don't know what that is mind you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
RichMariner
May 13, 2017, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Although on the face of it last year's boycotts didn't stop the competition returning as it is for the next two seasons, it seems to me the sense of not being listened to is stronger this time round.

In other words, I think fans are even more p1ssed off. I think there will be more of an effort, from a lot of clubs, to deliberately set even lower attendances for these group games.

Bradford used the rules to pull that stunt with their keeper. Luton quite happily invited a fine. There will be more of this, and more controversy, this season. Even more fans will stay away.

As I said on another thread, we should keep challenging authority - even if it's 'just' a boycott, because the moment we start re-attending, it gives Harvey more 'genuine' fuel to say his changes have improved the game, and then he starts sneaking even more changes past us.

We should continue to kick up a fuss about this, and let himknow as much as we can that we won't tolerate it.

A fresh round of record-low attendances will certainly get that message across in the media - which should help gather pace and momentum, and solidarity from other clubs' fans.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO THE GTFC SUPPORTERS TRUST

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.