barralad
May 12, 2017, 10:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from bax

In what way has the Trust not represented fans best interests or being answerable to the membership?

The Trust has a board member. That board member represented the fans in the boardroom. The Trust doesn't own the club, it cannot speak on behalf of the club.

Spot on. I am a Trust Board member. I know how our rep. was detailed to vote based on the communications received on the subject from those members who took the trouble to let us know. I do not know how the vote went and don't expect to until the club reveal that information in the same way as I don't know about a myriad of other decisions made by the Board of GTFC. I understand the meaning of corporate responsibility and it is clearly the responsibility of the club to inform all interested parties. Do I personally think the club should have told the fans by now? Yes without a doubt.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
Cloudy
May 12, 2017, 10:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I don't think it is too much to ask that in exchange for over £30,000pa that we,at the very least, get a line of communication, even if many don't agree with any decisions.

If we don't get even information then it has to be asked what exactly are the Trust and its members getting for its not insignificant payment.

Nobody would expect to get everything their own way, but when we don't even get told and The Trust are not permitted to inform, then it isn't difficult to question is it all worth it?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 12, 2017, 10:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The GT report today says

"Grimsby Town are understood to have been instrumental in ensuring changes were made to the competition ahead of the new season"

It's not hard to see through that is it? The club would not have been instrumental in ensuring changes if it was just voting against the whole concept.

So in fact we have a good idea which way JF voted, it's just a case of him/the board admitting it. No reason to be secretive is there?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
moosey_club
May 12, 2017, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
JF made it very clear , as did the other fella , at the fans forum.  

The club didnt lose money on the comp last year, they dont see it as the thin edge of the wedge, you can get to Wembley , we would vote yes again, ......the fact Harvey took them for a ride last time didnt seem to sway them.  

So...i think we dont actually need a statement ..do you ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
ginnywings
May 12, 2017, 11:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club

The club didnt lose money on the comp last year, they dont see it as the thin edge of the wedge, you can get to Wembley , we would vote yes again, ......the fact Harvey took them for a ride last time didnt seem to sway them.  

That would be my conclusion. They said as much at the fans forum as you point out. Also, 2/3 rds of the votes were in favour, so they are twice as likely to have voted for, rather than against.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
HertsGTFC
May 12, 2017, 11:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from moosey_club

The problem is we now have a manger who got the last winners to Wembley, chairman (or non chairmen) may think he could do it again and make the club a bit of cash which would mean a pro vote.

Looking at the amount of poor owners in the EFL the format of this competition is not the top of their "feck up list".

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
Caesar
May 13, 2017, 2:33am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I have been proud to be a trust member for the past few years.  I have massive respect for those who serve on the Mariners Trust board and get involved and can do nothing but commend them for the time and effort they put into helping our club at every level.  

However when confirmation comes that we voted to continue with B-teams in the whatever you call it trophy I will relinquish my membership of the trust.  I do not understand what it is there for anymore apart from doing good PR work that the larger shareholders then ignore.  Operation Promotion is possibly the proudest thing I have ever been involved in as a Grimsby fan and the Trust were superb and instrumental in that, and while it was a tremendous PR coup for the club, of course when we raised the total and had a celebration night John Fenty was there on BBC look north talking about how amazing Town fans are.  Then when he votes on something like this he ignores how amazing Town fans are and ignores their views.  The Trust and the hardworking individuals  who try to represent us have to relinquish their views as part of 'collective responsibility' This is not good enough, we need to have a real say in these matters not a token voice.

If I am wrong and we have been one of the minority of clubs to have opposed B teams I apologise unreservedly.  To those who work on the Trust and are appalled at our decisions but try to work within the framework of the GTFC board to make change positive, good luck and I really hope you can make a difference.  

However the betrayal of fans in this decisions is the biggest heartbreak for me in a long time..  For all the fine talk fans like us are not as important as Premier League money.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
Davec
May 13, 2017, 7:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
There's only 2 good things about this competition, it's a chance to give fringe players game time and there is some meaningful prize money available if we do well in it, and that's why so many clubs voted in favour, it's the money available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
pizzzza
May 13, 2017, 7:04am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
The problem is that the Trust is crippled in having to fall in line when these 'collective' decisions are made. JF has been very clever here. In keeping the Trust close and cosy with a seat on the board (which is of course more or less symbolic) he can have some degree of control and take advantage of the good work that the Trust do for free and of course the Trust have to pay 30k a year for the privilage having already transferred to JF a large number of it shares.
I would like to see the Trust as an independent enity (no board rep) that can truly fight for it's membership and GTFC supporters.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
Tommy
May 13, 2017, 7:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Davec
There's only 2 good things about this competition, it's a chance to give fringe players game time and there is some meaningful prize money available if we do well in it, and that's why so many clubs voted in favour, it's the money available.

But you get fined for giving too many fringe players game time.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO THE GTFC SUPPORTERS TRUST

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.