Private Message
Grantley
May 10, 2017, 9:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Hoping to engage with Danny Collins before the 17/18 season. Wut.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 77
Swansea_Mariner
May 10, 2017, 9:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Looks like Collins didn't hang around after Saturday. Surprised at Davies talks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 77
HertsGTFC
May 10, 2017, 9:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,872
Gold Stars: 227
Like I posted on another thread I doubt we will see the Danny's in a Town shirt again

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 77
VinnyGTFC
May 10, 2017, 9:23am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Sensible stuff. No sweeping changes about time we had some stability going into a new season
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 77
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 10, 2017, 9:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Looks like Collins didn't hang around after Saturday. Surprised at Davies talks.

Would Davies be a failsafe in case the rumour about Mills & Shrewsbury actually happens?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 77
Tommy
May 10, 2017, 9:40am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I don't think keeping Davies is a bad idea. He's been exposed when we've played 3-5-2, but he should never have been put in that wing-back position at his age.

Competing with Mills or acting as back-up, there's a lot that some of our "non-league" players could learn from someone like Davies.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 77
zorro_is_a_Mariner
May 10, 2017, 9:44am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
I like Davies he was solid under hurst and hasn't been bad for slade, He was only exposed because of bigots tactics in my opinion. Good player to have at this level.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 77
Mariner93er
May 10, 2017, 9:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Up until his injury, and being put at wing back, he played well. I doubt his footballing ability has particularly declined since playing a major part for Portsmouth a year ago, and he still looks incredibly fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 77
Tommy
May 10, 2017, 9:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I'm trying to think how Clifton could have triggered a new deal. He's made no first team appearances that might have triggered such a deal. Surely there wasn't just an option in his contract that he could extend it himself if he wanted to?

I'm really pleased he's got another year and hope to see him get a chance in the first team. I just think it's odd. Unless it's just that the OS has worded it wrongly and the Club have triggered the new deal - which wouldn't surprise me based on the usual quality of communication from the OS.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 77
jamesgtfc
May 10, 2017, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Tommy
I'm trying to think how Clifton could have triggered a new deal. He's made no first team appearances that might have triggered such a deal. Surely there wasn't just an option in his contract that he could extend it himself if he wanted to?

I'm really pleased he's got another year and hope to see him get a chance in the first team. I just think it's odd. Unless it's just that the OS has worded it wrongly and the Club have triggered the new deal - which wouldn't surprise me based on the usual quality of communication from the OS.

I was thinking the same but maybe he had to play so many first team games but the club was unspecified and his games on loan counted?

I suspect the club held the cards and triggered the extension and the OS worded it wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 9:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tommy
I don't think keeping Davies is a bad idea. He's been exposed when we've played 3-5-2, but he should never have been put in that wing-back position at his age.

Competing with Mills or acting as back-up, there's a lot that some of our "non-league" players could learn from someone like Davies.

Was about to make exactly that point. He started well last year but i think injuries curtailed him a bit and he was left exposed by the formation. Very experienced, played at a higher level for much of his career and is clearly very fit for his age. Can also play in midfield if needed.

As for the rest of the list, if we re-sign Collins, Andrew, Pearson and Davies, that is 19 players including Clifton, which doesn't leave much scope for new signings if we are going with 22 players for next season. Think we need another keeper, at least one more centre back and definitely a goalscorer, so i think there may be some departures from the contracted players yet. Still a lot of sorting out to do for me if we are going to have a squad that can challenge at the top end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 9:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I was thinking the same but maybe he had to play so many first team games but the club was unspecified and his games on loan counted?

I suspect the club held the cards and triggered the extension and the OS worded it wrong.

I think it is probably the case that we had first dibs on them should they look like developing into players we would like to keep. I think Clifton would have been snapped up elsewhere if we hadn't, going by his performances on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 9:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Forgot to mention some wide players in my previous post. They are a must, so unless Browne is seen as a starter, we would need a couple more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 77
Mariner93er
May 10, 2017, 9:59am
Cocktail Drinker
I think it's feesible that quite a few will be loaned out too. Summerfield, berrett and Boyce are all on the last year of their contracts, so it'll be beneficial for them to find first team football if they want to earn decent contracts with other clubs next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 77
Welwynmariner
May 10, 2017, 10:03am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Danny Collins was a free agent when we signed him last year so presumably nobody was beating a path to his door or his wage demands were too high? It would be good to get him back though.

Danny Andrew signed for us a year ago and presumably wants to see what offers are around for him? Can't blame him for that.

Unsurprised to see Diz and Gowling's careers come to a close at this level and can't say I'm sorry to see the other three leave. It would be good to see us keep at least one of the youth players, although Josh Venney was always the one spoken about for the future I thought?

There is a problem with one or two names who have longer contracts who Slade might want to lose like Luke Summerfield but on the other hand Mills and McKeown are here for another year and so Shrewsbury would presumably have to pay for them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 77
Maringer
May 10, 2017, 10:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,393
Gold Stars: 184
I personally don't think it would be a great idea to sign Davies again. He'll be 36 later this month and, even as a back-up to Mills, he's not going to be getting any quicker as the season goes on, especially if he's not playing regularly.

No doubt that players can still be effective later into their 30s, especially if they don't tend to suffer from injury problems, but to do so they need to be playing week-in, week-out. We saw the other season what happened when Monkhouse suffered a longish lay-off after starting the season so well as he was a shadow of the same player after that.

I don't imagine Andrew will be here next season, more's the pity, so I hope Slade has some defensive targets in mind. Fingers-crossed that Pearson stays and, on balance, I'd like to see Collins again next season. I thought the times we struggled defensively this year often came when the midfield was swamped and a Pearson/Collins pairing should certainly be good enough with a stronger, more settled midfield in front of them. They also played decently in a three at the back if that's the way that Slade chooses to go.

Will be interesting to see what happens as regards our plethora of midfielders - that's 7 central midfielders we've still got under contract! Wouldn't surprise me to see one or two of them shipped out again, whether on loan or by agreeing a pay-off with a pre-arranged move to another club.

If we can thin out the midfielders a bit, you'd have to say the current squad looks like it could form the basis for a stronger team than the one which we started with last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 77
jonnyboy82
May 10, 2017, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
We've  been trying to engage with Danny Collins for 6 months now so obviously he either doesn't want it or we keep engaging with the wrong Danny Collins.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 77
Bigdog
May 10, 2017, 10:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Looks a fairly weak list as it stands at the minute and nowhere near one that could challenge for promotion even with a few additions.

There's hopefully plenty of room for RS to trim it down further with some healthy and robust pragmatism on a player by player basis..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 77
OllieGTFC
May 10, 2017, 10:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Actually happy with this list, see he doesn't want to change that much clearly going to bring his own players in to put a stamp on it, In slade I trust !!

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 77
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 10, 2017, 10:24am
Special Brew Drinker
There are no real surprises there but some of them are the Hurst 'journeymen' types. I can see a few going straight back out on loan to be honest. If Slade can get more from them then fair enough, but to challenge at the top of the league would require signings that are not just squad members.

That means at least one striker, a goalkeeper, one or two wingers depending on how Browne shapes up, at least one first team central defender and a left back if the Danny Boys move on. All of those need to be instant first team quality.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 10:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
We don't know what was said to the contracted players. Maybe some were told that they wouldn't be featuring in the side and are free to look elsewhere? I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case as i still think we have a fair bit of dead wood in there and not a lot of scope for bringing in fresh blood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 77
May 10, 2017, 10:33am
Guest User
In my opinion we definitely need a new Keeper.  Watching the Plymouth highlights again this morning, Macca came for two crosses and got nowhere near them, this has been his main problem throughout the season and could prove costly next season.  We need a keeper who is confident, composed and one who knows when to come and when to stay.  Macca isn't that keeper!  .
Reply: 22 - 77
Stranger in the Park
May 10, 2017, 10:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Unfortunately we're still stuck with a few of Hurst & Bigobs poor decisions.It still sticks with me how we lost Amond and now Diz and see some of the names on the retained list.I do have faith however that Slade will inject some quality into the squad - he's not stupid enough to think he'll get far with this current list of retained players and it's his job as well at risk. A good goal poacher in the Amond mold would be a good start to new signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 77
jamesgtfc
May 10, 2017, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
I think midfield is the area where we need to trim down.  I think our contracted defenders are good enough and so too are our strikers with exception of Yussuf who we have barely seen.  All will have been sent away with a fitness plan for the summer and I am sure this is a test of their character too so any that don't hit their target may be shown the door.

I think the Bignot Babes in midfield are safe as Slade wants goals all over the park. Jones has proven he can score although I admit he has been played as a striker and Clements has chipped in with 4 whilst Osborne clearly has talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 77
Hagrid
May 10, 2017, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,364
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from 123614
In my opinion we definitely need a new Keeper.  Watching the Plymouth highlights again this morning, Macca came for two crosses and got nowhere near them, this has been his main problem throughout the season and could prove costly next season.  We need a keeper who is confident, composed and one who knows when to come and when to stay.  Macca isn't that keeper!  .

thought he was excellent against plymouth tbh
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 77
mariner91
May 10, 2017, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,568
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from ginnywings
We don't know what was said to the contracted players. Maybe some were told that they wouldn't be featuring in the side and are free to look elsewhere? I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case as i still think we have a fair bit of dead wood in there and not a lot of scope for bringing in fresh blood.

Exactly, just because they're in the retained list because they've got a two year deal doesn't mean they're in the plans. They may well have been told you're free to look around and see if you can find another club because you won't be getting much game time here. I really wouldn't be at all surprised if Summerfield, Berrett, Boyce, Yussuf and maybe Vernon were told this to make way for better quality players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 77
essexexile
May 10, 2017, 10:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Who's gonna be the new Diz, to come on and steady things up if needs be or grab a goal out of nothing?
Would like to think Slade's got someone in mind cos can't think any on this list have the class to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from essexexile
Who's gonna be the new Diz, to come on and steady things up if needs be or grab a goal out of nothing?
Would like to think Slade's got someone in mind cos can't think any on this list have the class to do it.

Clements maybe? Scored a few already but the jury is still out on him. I think he will be one of those players that divides opinion, whereas Disley was universally liked by everyone, which is a rare thing with footballers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 77
Hagrid
May 10, 2017, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Clements maybe? Scored a few already but the jury is still out on him. I think he will be one of those players that divides opinion, whereas Disley was universally liked by everyone, which is a rare thing with footballers.

dont know if you are on twitter Ginny, but the things ex players have said about him is astounding, they all want to come back for his testimonial, Dis was clearly an absolute gentleman on and off the field
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 77
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 10, 2017, 11:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Unfortunately we're still stuck with a few of Hurst & Bigobs poor decisions.It still sticks with me how we lost Amond and now Diz and see some of the names on the retained list.I do have faith however that Slade will inject some quality into the squad - he's not stupid enough to think he'll get far with this current list of retained players and it's his job as well at risk. A good goal poacher in the Amond mold would be a good start to new signings.

Amond scored 14 this season from 40 appearances including subs. Last season it was 30 from 41 games. In his two years at Morecambe he got 19 from 82 games. This would seem to confirm that Amond is a good NL striker but will struggle to do as well in L2. His problem is that goals are his game, he tries but he doesn't bring a lot else to the side creatively. The other thing is that some strikers do just have that one 'golden season'. It was the same with Connell wasn't it? He never repeated that success he had here first time round. So much as I liked Amond and we needed him last season I don't really think he could cut the mustard at the top end of this league.

One thing we do know about RS is that he likes pace in a team so I think he'll be looking for that in a striker and we might well see more of Vernon as the sort of foil to that. Also it depends on how Assante fairs with his injury but I think the manager will see him as a bonus player if it works out well.

Goalkeeper? No doubt McKeown is a good reaction keeper. He needs to be because the ball keeps coming back to him! That's the problem. He makes good saves but he doesn't command his area or his back 4 and he is inconsistent on balls into the box. Cloughie used to say that Peter Shilton was worth 10 points a season to Forest (and it was 2 points a win then) and that's why he was worth the money. We've see it at BP before with some class keepers we've had. Worth their weight in gold. Macca's a good lad but he ain't in that category.

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
Maringer
May 10, 2017, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,393
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Hagrid

thought he was excellent against plymouth tbh

No - he was so bad that he was included in the EFL team of the week.

If only we could have more players performing as poorly as this week-in, week-out.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
HertsGTFC
May 10, 2017, 11:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,872
Gold Stars: 227
I would like to see someone cleverlike Amond play off Vernon, one hold up man one Jonny on the spot.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 77
RichMariner
May 10, 2017, 11:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,140
Gold Stars: 209
I think Slade will look to use McAllister next season, and I think Vernon will be in his plans too.

I hope he'll give Rhys Browne a chance because I really do think there's a player in there. If he can get the best out of him for 90 minutes, I think Tombola could be a very good outlet for us next season too.

Slade seems to be a fan of Berrett's versatility, so I imagine he'll be involved.

The contracted players who might worry about their role in the side next season, in my opinion, will be Yussuf, Boyce and Summerfield.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Hagrid

dont know if you are on twitter Ginny, but the things ex players have said about him is astounding, they all want to come back for his testimonial, Dis was clearly an absolute gentleman on and off the field

No, i'm not on Twitter but i can imagine his testimonial won't be short of players wanting to be involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
topuphere666
May 10, 2017, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Amond said he wants to be involved at the game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
marinerjase
May 10, 2017, 11:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 147
Re Amond...could be argued that 14 goals in a struggling side is a very good return.

Personally I also felt, at the time, we'd had the best of him and didn't think he'd do as well again - but I think he's done well again. Don't think he's a Slade 'type' and don't expect a return, but if he did then wouldn't be opposed.

Furthermore, wasn't jus his goals with us..he massively helped Bogle, and must be remembered had a spell out of side as PH wanted him to work harder for team

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
Posh Harry
May 10, 2017, 11:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
I'm not one for speculation usually but the wording of the OS statement intrigues me.

So Danny Andrew has been offered a new contract and we are in negotiations with Shaun and Davies.

My guess would be that Danny has been offered a minimum 2 year deal. I would not be surprised if Shaun has been offered 1 year but has turned round to the club and said he wants 2 years. If that is that case then a. I don't blame him and b. I think he deserves it. Maybe that is why they are under negotiation.

As for Davies, well that could be a number of things but I doubt it can be length of contract at his age. So maybe we have offered him 1 year on a reduced wage to what he is currently earning (coming from Pompey he will probably be one of the higher paid players in the squad at the moment and RS sees him as either back up or not guaranteed regular first team football so salary should reflect that) or, and a bit more intriguing, I seem to remember that there was a lot of confusion last year and throughout the season as to whether he was originally on a one or two year deal. Maybe there was a third option in that it was one year with a clause for a second season. If he has played enough to trigger that clause, but RS does not see him as part of his plans, then is the negotiation around a pay off?

As I said at the beginning, I don't like speculating, but if you can't do it under these circumstances then when can you!

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
oldun
May 10, 2017, 11:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Posh Harry
I'm not one for speculation usually but the wording of the OS statement intrigues me.

So Danny Andrew has been offered a new contract and we are in negotiations with Shaun and Davies.

My guess would be that Danny has been offered a minimum 2 year deal. I would not be surprised if Shaun has been offered 1 year but has turned round to the club and said he wants 2 years. If that is that case then a. I don't blame him and b. I think he deserves it. Maybe that is why they are under negotiation.

As for Davies, well that could be a number of things but I doubt it can be length of contract at his age. So maybe we have offered him 1 year on a reduced wage to what he is currently earning (coming from Pompey he will probably be one of the higher paid players in the squad at the moment and RS sees him as either back up or not guaranteed regular first team football so salary should reflect that) or, and a bit more intriguing, I seem to remember that there was a lot of confusion last year and throughout the season as to whether he was originally on a one or two year deal. Maybe there was a third option in that it was one year with a clause for a second season. If he has played enough to trigger that clause, but RS does not see him as part of his plans, then is the negotiation around a pay off?

As I said at the beginning, I don't like speculating, but if you can't do it under these circumstances then when can you!

UTFM

Yes, definately worded differently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
Abdul19
May 10, 2017, 11:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,512
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from marinerjase
Re Amond...could be argued that 14 goals in a struggling side is a very good return.

Personally I also felt, at the time, we'd had the best of him and didn't think he'd do as well again - but I think he's done well again. Don't think he's a Slade 'type' and don't expect a return, but if he did then wouldn't be opposed.

Furthermore, wasn't jus his goals with us..he massively helped Bogle, and must be remembered had a spell out of side as PH wanted him to work harder for team

Agree with that. And for comparison, it's the same amount of goals as Michael Reddy got in 05/06.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 11:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Good points Posh. I was also wondering if we had offered reduced terms as i think SP wants to stay and would have signed already if the terms were right. Never considered the Davies scenario though and him maybe having a clause? Think they may just have both been offered reduced terms myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
Superdan147
May 10, 2017, 11:50am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Good post poshharry and couldn't  agree more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
oldun
May 10, 2017, 11:53am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Offering reduced terms is the equivalent of saying "we don't really want you so if you can get a better deal you can go, if not we will keep you" Unlike Andrew where he is wanted and has been offered a deal to try to keep him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
Welwynmariner
May 10, 2017, 11:54am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I would like to see someone clever like Amond play off Vernon, one hold up man one Jonny on the spot.

I thought that Amond "made" the two Hartlepool goals on the last day of the season. Last year he and Bogle were a real pairing and created opportunities for each other. However I think it's in the past now so we can but dream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 12:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from oldun
Offering reduced terms is the equivalent of saying "we don't really want you so if you can get a better deal you can go, if not we will keep you" Unlike Andrew where he is wanted and has been offered a deal to try to keep him.

Yeah, agree there. As much as i like Shaun, i wasn't sure whether he would be offered a new deal or not and it may be that he has been offered a take it or leave it type thing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
dapperz fun pub
May 10, 2017, 12:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
I see venney and Wright have been invited to pre season and I'm told Adam drury been invited aswell .. still hope for these lads then ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 77
TownSNAFU5
May 10, 2017, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,843
Gold Stars: 42
The best or worst example of a one-season goal-scorer was Brodie.  He got 34 goals for York.  A few years later, whilst still in his prime, he was being released by clubs in the 8th tier.   No wonder he had so many clubs.

Amond had his chance to stay with us,  I don't think we would benefit from his return.  We have higher expectations now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
acko338
May 10, 2017, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
I'm sure that those on contracts who do not figure in Slade's plans will be told that it's loans or full transfer asap at new season start.

He will clear the decks and then have to prove his worth with his own signings.

if he wants a lower number of bodies in place he surely wants those who will retain full fitness over a full season - Danny Andrew has proven he can stay fit this year, I hope he remembers who gave him that chance to play again, so who will be next year's long term player(s) over 46 games?

Will the most valuable asset next year be a fitness & conditioning coach to the squad?

At least this season end, my holiday won't be clashing with play offs and finding screens in foreign places ! (GO away ! this is my screen and I'm watching town !!)

Don't forget Mr Slade, you ruined a good holiday by the Cardiff televised game all those years ago, every screen, every hour, replays wherever we went - horror show - please, not this coming season !

I still can't make myself sit in the restaurant where we saw that match, on principle !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
Mariner_09
May 10, 2017, 12:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Only worry is he might remember that Hursty gave him the opportunity to play every week!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
mariner chopper
May 10, 2017, 1:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from RichMariner
I think Slade will look to use McAllister next season, and I think Vernon will be in his plans too.

I hope he'll give Rhys Browne a chance because I really do think there's a player in there. If he can get the best out of him for 90 minutes, I think Tombola could be a very good outlet for us next season too.

Slade seems to be a fan of Berrett's versatility, so I imagine he'll be involved.

The contracted players who might worry about their role in the side next season, in my opinion, will be Yussuf, Boyce and Summerfield.

I'd like to see Browne given a chance but also Yussuf too, nothing against Asante as I like him too but I'm perplexed as to way people favour him over and above Yussuf. Surely there is a player there also? He started like a house on fire and took both his goals very well - would like to see him get a run in the side at least
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
mariner91
May 10, 2017, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner chopper

I'd like to see Browne given a chance but also Yussuf too, nothing against Asante as I like him too but I'm perplexed as to way people favour him over and above Yussuf. Surely there is a player there also? He started like a house on fire and took both his goals very well - would like to see him get a run in the side at least

It is odd that he hasn't been given any minutes at all under RS to see what he's like in games. However, if he's not even willing to put him on for 15 then perhaps he's not shown anything in training that warrants getting a chance? The man who signed him also barely played him after the first few weeks so that in itself is quite damning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
Swansea_Mariner
May 10, 2017, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Yussef certainly is a weird one, scored a few in the ressies too so seems to have the goal touch but never plays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
jaygy
May 10, 2017, 2:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I think yussuf would have got more game time had his contract have been up this year but slade had to look at the players that were fighting for a contract first and foremost. Those that have contracts into next year will get the preseason to impress before RS makes a decision on whether they are in his plans or need to be loaned out or transferred before the end of august
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
mariner91
May 10, 2017, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jaygy
I think yussuf would have got more game time had his contract have been up this year but slade had to look at the players that were fighting for a contract first and foremost. Those that have contracts into next year will get the preseason to impress before RS makes a decision on whether they are in his plans or need to be loaned out or transferred before the end of august

Can't be that because Berrett was played out wide ahead of him despite having a contract for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
Mariner_09
May 10, 2017, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Jones, Osborne, Berrett, Clements, Vernon, Mills and McKeown all played regularly under Slade and they are all contracted.

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
Meza
May 10, 2017, 2:41pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
If you really want to scrutinise Amonds 14 goals then surely it has to be based on chances created or shots at goal.  He could of scored 14 goals from 20 chances created.  Just a thought.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
May 10, 2017, 2:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

thought he was excellent against Plymouth tbh

Watch the Plymouth highlights.  Sure he made a couple of reflex saves, I'm not disputing that, he's not a bad shot stopper, but he doesn't command his area at all, the highlights show that very clearly.  We need a keeper that is good in all areas, not in just one or two.

Reply: 56 - 77
diehardmariner
May 10, 2017, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,392
Gold Stars: 532
McAllister in midfield on Saturday ahead of Venney too.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Hagrid
May 10, 2017, 2:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Watch the Plymouth highlights.  Sure he made a couple of reflex saves, I'm not disputing that, he's not a bad shot stopper, but he doesn't command his area at all, the highlights show that very clearly.  We need a keeper that is good in all areas, not in just one or two.

i was there, i dont need to watch them, im not saying i think macca should be our Number 1 keeper, just i think he played very well against plymouth and its harsh to single him out
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
May 10, 2017, 3:06pm
Guest User
Someone on twitter says that Pearson will be at Shrewsbury next season.... Not too sure about that but imagine if PH has his way with a back four of Andrew Toto Pearson and Mills...
Reply: 59 - 77
Mariner93er
May 10, 2017, 3:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Pearson wasn't starting under him whilst he was here, so there's no chance he'll be signing him for Shrewsbury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 3:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 935
Someone on twitter says that Pearson will be at Shrewsbury next season.... Not too sure about that but imagine if PH has his way with a back four of Andrew Toto Pearson and Mills...

In League 1? Doubt that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
Mariner_09
May 10, 2017, 3:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 935

Don't forget with McKeown in goal, and with him now fit probably the Shop up front.

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 77
May 10, 2017, 3:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner_09

Don't forget with McKeown in goal, and with him now fit probably the Shop up front.

Rodman in Midfield...
Reply: 63 - 77
Teds Lad
May 10, 2017, 3:44pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +61
BBC website reporting that Danny Andrew has triggered a one year extension to his contract. Hope this is correct.

Quote from BBC Site     "Full-back Danny Andrew, 26, has triggered a one-year contract extension".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
Nelly GTFC
May 10, 2017, 4:02pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
Oh yeah, last paragraph on Disley leaving. Click link  >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39870943

Maybe they got it muddled up with Harry Clifton

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 77
TheGoalKipper
May 10, 2017, 4:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from Teds Lad
BBC website reporting that Danny Andrew has triggered a one year extension to his contract. Hope this is correct.

Quote from BBC Site     "Full-back Danny Andrew, 26, has triggered a one-year contract extension".

Ive never heard of a player doing this - but its good news anyway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 77
The_Laughing_Mariner
May 10, 2017, 4:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Didn't the Shop do this and went on to score 20 goals

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
Mariner_09
May 10, 2017, 4:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Yep had a look at 2014 retained list and Thomas, The Shop and Bignot (Paul) all triggered extensions. This hasn't been confirmed by the club though, I'm highly sceptical of the BBC reporting 4th division football correctly.

Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
Rick12
May 10, 2017, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mariner93er
Pearson wasn't starting under him whilst he was here, so there's no chance he'll be signing him for Shrewsbury.
Pleased to read that the club are in talks in with Pearson.Hope he signs for us.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
TheGoalKipper
May 10, 2017, 4:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from Mariner_09
Yep had a look at 2014 retained list and Thomas, The Shop and Bignot (Paul) all triggered extensions. This hasn't been confirmed by the club though, I'm highly sceptical of the BBC reporting 4th division football correctly.

Would of thought the club would have it on their website first.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 4:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Just because an option gets triggered, doesn't mean the player will take it up. If he wants away, he will be away.

It may have been a clause where if he played so many games, he would get offered a second year, due to his injury record.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 77
Teds Lad
May 10, 2017, 5:00pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +61
The website does say that Danny Andrew has triggered the one year extension.  i.e. he has chosen to stay with the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 77
acko338
May 10, 2017, 5:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Teds Lad
The website does say that Danny Andrew has triggered the one year extension.  i.e. he has chosen to stay with the club.

If this is true, then Town need to be extending that extension again or offer a direct 2 year contract to their best player over the full season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 77
Balthazar Bullitt
May 10, 2017, 5:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Teds Lad

Where does it say that? Just read it and can only see that he's been offered a new deal. Am I blind?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
TownSNAFU5
May 10, 2017, 5:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,843
Gold Stars: 42
"Am I blind?". Depends on what you have been doing..................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 77
Grumps
May 10, 2017, 5:30pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Has now been removed from the report and it just says he has been offered a new contract
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 77
Balthazar Bullitt
May 10, 2017, 5:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Thanks Grumps

Off to close the curtains....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.