8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 10, 2017, 10:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There are no real surprises there but some of them are the Hurst 'journeymen' types. I can see a few going straight back out on loan to be honest. If Slade can get more from them then fair enough, but to challenge at the top of the league would require signings that are not just squad members.

That means at least one striker, a goalkeeper, one or two wingers depending on how Browne shapes up, at least one first team central defender and a left back if the Danny Boys move on. All of those need to be instant first team quality.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 10:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
We don't know what was said to the contracted players. Maybe some were told that they wouldn't be featuring in the side and are free to look elsewhere? I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case as i still think we have a fair bit of dead wood in there and not a lot of scope for bringing in fresh blood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 77
May 10, 2017, 10:33am
Guest User
In my opinion we definitely need a new Keeper.  Watching the Plymouth highlights again this morning, Macca came for two crosses and got nowhere near them, this has been his main problem throughout the season and could prove costly next season.  We need a keeper who is confident, composed and one who knows when to come and when to stay.  Macca isn't that keeper!  .
Reply: 22 - 77
Stranger in the Park
May 10, 2017, 10:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Unfortunately we're still stuck with a few of Hurst & Bigobs poor decisions.It still sticks with me how we lost Amond and now Diz and see some of the names on the retained list.I do have faith however that Slade will inject some quality into the squad - he's not stupid enough to think he'll get far with this current list of retained players and it's his job as well at risk. A good goal poacher in the Amond mold would be a good start to new signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 77
jamesgtfc
May 10, 2017, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,947
Gold Stars: 190
I think midfield is the area where we need to trim down.  I think our contracted defenders are good enough and so too are our strikers with exception of Yussuf who we have barely seen.  All will have been sent away with a fitness plan for the summer and I am sure this is a test of their character too so any that don't hit their target may be shown the door.

I think the Bignot Babes in midfield are safe as Slade wants goals all over the park. Jones has proven he can score although I admit he has been played as a striker and Clements has chipped in with 4 whilst Osborne clearly has talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 77
Hagrid
May 10, 2017, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from 123614
In my opinion we definitely need a new Keeper.  Watching the Plymouth highlights again this morning, Macca came for two crosses and got nowhere near them, this has been his main problem throughout the season and could prove costly next season.  We need a keeper who is confident, composed and one who knows when to come and when to stay.  Macca isn't that keeper!  .

thought he was excellent against plymouth tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 77
mariner91
May 10, 2017, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,607
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from ginnywings
We don't know what was said to the contracted players. Maybe some were told that they wouldn't be featuring in the side and are free to look elsewhere? I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case as i still think we have a fair bit of dead wood in there and not a lot of scope for bringing in fresh blood.

Exactly, just because they're in the retained list because they've got a two year deal doesn't mean they're in the plans. They may well have been told you're free to look around and see if you can find another club because you won't be getting much game time here. I really wouldn't be at all surprised if Summerfield, Berrett, Boyce, Yussuf and maybe Vernon were told this to make way for better quality players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 77
essexexile
May 10, 2017, 10:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Who's gonna be the new Diz, to come on and steady things up if needs be or grab a goal out of nothing?
Would like to think Slade's got someone in mind cos can't think any on this list have the class to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from essexexile
Who's gonna be the new Diz, to come on and steady things up if needs be or grab a goal out of nothing?
Would like to think Slade's got someone in mind cos can't think any on this list have the class to do it.

Clements maybe? Scored a few already but the jury is still out on him. I think he will be one of those players that divides opinion, whereas Disley was universally liked by everyone, which is a rare thing with footballers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 77
Hagrid
May 10, 2017, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from ginnywings

Clements maybe? Scored a few already but the jury is still out on him. I think he will be one of those players that divides opinion, whereas Disley was universally liked by everyone, which is a rare thing with footballers.

dont know if you are on twitter Ginny, but the things ex players have said about him is astounding, they all want to come back for his testimonial, Dis was clearly an absolute gentleman on and off the field
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.