Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gowling first to go!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

Gowling first to go!

This thread currently has 7,109 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
pizzzza
May 9, 2017, 5:04pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Was an extra thread necessary?
Private Message
Bigdog
May 9, 2017, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
In a week when Diz has had so many threads (deservedly so), I don't mind a thread for someone who has served the club so well for about half the length of time. A massive part of our promotion winning squad, a really nice bloke off the pitch who had time for plenty of fans and a player who I enjoyed watching. Don't think he was half as bad as some made out this season and at Colchester, Cambridge and Plymouth he was a rock and was pretty much our MOM in those games.

Good luck Josh and thanks for your efforts..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
Garth
May 9, 2017, 6:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Sorry to see him go, just an age thing really a good fit skillful player who was always popular with Grimsby, glad he got a Wembley experience.
Good luck Josh and thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
Nelly GTFC
May 9, 2017, 6:59pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
Gowling was on Radio Humberside around 6pm.  He said: "While Bignot was manager, he was not around the first team and at times he was training with the youth team.  When Slade came in even though he didn't play, he was back training and in around the first team plans once again. Gowling told Slade how he appreciated that today when the decision was made going forward that he wouldn't be part of his future plans."

Gowling is graduating in a BSc Psychology partly funded by the PFA. Next month after 5 years part-time studying he's hoping to move in to Football Association Psychology levels and work in sports helping youngsters come through the system.

Gowling is still going to carry on playing football for as long as possible and he's in contact with his agent.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
moosey_club
May 9, 2017, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
when he first signed for us i was a little worried, thought he was always likely to make a mistake based on seeing him previously down the years but soon grew accustomed to a cool centre half who was mostly dependable. Another one who helped us escape the non league.
Nice guy who always seemed to have time to stop and talk to the kids/ supporters, remain dignified during the MB period and if nothing else the way he remained pretty calm and focussed at Wembley when that fat fck Parkin tried to snap his leg...then i shall always respect and remember his days in a town shirt.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
jaygy
May 9, 2017, 7:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Always the first to put his body and head in where it hurts and wasn't afraid to put a challenge in. Unfortunately pace wasn't one of his best attributes and he got caught out a few times which contributed to him losing his place in the team.

I must admit I wasn't impressed when I first heard we had signed him but he has proved me wrong and was a big part of us getting back into the league so I will be forever grateful.

He is a very clever bloke who will have a big career after football and I doubt he will struggle to find a club in the conference for the next year at least IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
Cloudy
May 9, 2017, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Bigdog
In a week when Diz has had so many threads (deservedly so), I don't mind a thread for someone who has served the club so well for about half the length of time. A massive part of our promotion winning squad, a really nice bloke off the pitch who had time for plenty of fans and a player who I enjoyed watching. Don't think he was half as bad as some made out this season and at Colchester, Cambridge and Plymouth he was a rock and was pretty much our MOM in those games.

Good luck Josh and thanks for your efforts..

I was an admirer of Gowling but he and Boyce in particular were awful at Colchester. A bad choice of his good days imo.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
Maringer
May 9, 2017, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Aaargh!

For the last time, pace is one of his main attributes! Baffled to continually hear people stating he was in any way lacking in pace.

No, he wasn't as quick as Toto, but he wasn't far off and I reckon that's why he was picked ahead of Pearson more often than not.

His errors this year came from an uncharacteristic lack of concentration and he's been the quickest centre half at the club this year (though that's not saying all that much).

Good luck Josh. Off to Kiddy, perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2017, 7:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,878
Gold Stars: 227
On the pitch I thought he was one of the bravest players I have seen in a Town shirt often sticking his head in where his feet should have gone. As a senior pro he was a big factor in  the "unity" that helped get the 15/16 squad out of tin pot.

A clever bloke which was underlined by switching the ends before the kick off when he was skipper at Cambridge this (last) season saying "I knew we would be in a battle so I wanted our fans behind us in the 2nd half".  

Off the pitch he looked like he had time for everyone and prior to the arrival of Bignot he was often in the GET doing stuff in the community etc.. He deserved better than what he got from MB and found the way he was isolated quite embarrassing to be honest.

So from me it's a huge vote of thanks and a good luck for the future!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
Les Brechin
May 9, 2017, 7:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Maringer
Aaargh!

For the last time, pace is one of his main attributes! Baffled to continually hear people stating he was in any way lacking in pace.

No, he wasn't as quick as Toto, but he wasn't far off and I reckon that's why he was picked ahead of Pearson more often than not.

His errors this year came from an uncharacteristic lack of concentration and he's been the quickest centre half at the club this year (though that's not saying all that much).

Good luck Josh. Off to Kiddy, perhaps?

Would expect him to get a club in the National League really. Too good to be playing National League North really IMO.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gowling first to go!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.