13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
May 13, 2017, 4:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
A football club can't be run on the hopes fans will raise money to cover not playing in a competition. The club's finances are not worth risking over a competition which most fans didn't care about that much anyway. If it was over the league, that would be different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 123
headingly_mariner
May 13, 2017, 4:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner93er
A football club can't be run on the hopes fans will raise money to cover not playing in a competition. The club's finances are not worth risking over a competition which most fans didn't care about that much anyway. If it was over the league, that would be different.

It's short sighted and naive to think that b team invlovment in lower league competition is not a threat to our club's place in league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 123
Grantley
May 13, 2017, 4:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 123
bradzmilne
May 13, 2017, 4:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,381
Gold Stars: 29
Interesting read by JF, one of his better PR pieces.

Sounds like there is slightly more too this than meets the eye and the FL have bent the arms of the clubs, in order too get what they... Or should I say the Premier League wants. Bitterly disappointed never the less but it does seem that it was the only viable option.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 123
RichMariner
May 13, 2017, 5:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
It's a strong response, and a pretty decent one.

But why oh why didn't the club share its position with us sooner?!

Much of that article is about quashing the rumours, which gathered pace while GTFC said nothing.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 104 - 123
ginnywings
May 13, 2017, 6:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
We would still have made more money if it had stayed the old format. Town fans would turn up in sufficient numbers for any competitive game, i know i would. I won't however turn up for this competition while it is being dictated by greedy Prem clubs who have too many players and don't know what to do with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 123
Bigdog
May 13, 2017, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Am I missing something here?

If the clubs vote down the proposal, all of the clubs don't get the money. Level playing field still exists because all of the clubs would adjust their playing budgets by the same amount. Their players lose out increased wages wise as a high proportion of the extra money most probably goes on higher playing budgets. Yes we will be getting a higher income having the same format and the bribe that goes with it, but on the other hand our outgoings will rise due to the joint scramble to sign the best players available.

The missed PR opportunity is that JF should have voted with the fans and unless his vote ended up being the one that swung the result other way, it would have no consequence on the outcome. He missed a personal win win there..

Sometimes principles can come before money as a non-chairman.. Do we as a club just vote for anything if there seems to be extra income in it? JF, what happens if every League One and League Two club gets offered £20m each by the Premier League to allow a League Five with Premier League B teams. What happens then? If you can vote for this for an extra £10-20k (if we don't win any games or reach the final) after increased wage costs, I wouldn't trust you further down the road if there's proper money on offer from Shaun Harvey..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 123
May 13, 2017, 6:51pm
Guest User
If JF hasn't took the fans opinions on board on this occasion then it just shows that the fans won't get get consulted about anything to do with the new stadium. If Harvey and his mates deem it a success again then it will be the death of lower league football as this will be seen as a licence for them to introduce B teams into the football league pyramid. 66 % of clubs voted in favour of the competition which shows there are a few clubs in the country who take on board the fans feelings towards the competition.
Reply: 107 - 123
Bigdog
May 13, 2017, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Some decent regionalised groups that would spark some local interest.. Better than Walsall away or Leicester U23 anyway.

GTFC, Scunthorpe, Lincoln, Doncaster

Notts County, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Rotherham

Portsmouth, Crawley, AFC Wimbledon, Charlton

Exeter, Plymouth, Yeovil, Newport

Gillingham, Southend, Colchester, Millwall

Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Oxford, Cheltenham

Carlisle, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Blackpool

Coventry, Walsall, Shrewsbury, Port Vale

Peterborough, Cambridge, Northampton, MK Dons

Rochdale, Accrington, Bury, Blackburn

Tranmere, Wigan, Crewe, Oldham

Barnet, Luton, Stevenage, Wycombe

Low travel costs and times and some cracking derbies in there..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 123
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2017, 8:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner93er

How much would we lose?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chuckamate Trophy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.